A Letter To My Baby Boy

Jiffer

Dear Icky-doo,

Well, I managed a whole year. I'm not sure how I did it, maybe it was your guidance that helped, but here we are. I lit your candle today (it's solar powered) and it was shining so brightly. I couldn't help but smile. I know you've been around a few times, and I'm glad that you're not to busy having fun to stop by. Your auntie has "felt" you a few times when she's stayed over in "your" bed. She sends her love to you.

At Christmas, I had a good look at the seven CDs of photos I've kept from the past four and a half years. You were such a funny boy and a great dog. I've seen your smile and intelligence in others lately... maybe I'm looking too hard, but I swear there's a glimmer.

I hope you don't mind that I let brother Atlas use your blankie. He seemed to take comfort in your scent and still snuggles with it every night. He really misses you. Uber has made sure that your spot on the bed doesn't get cold. You certainly trained him very well in the few months you had.

I try not to dwell on why you chose to leave us so soon. My best guess is that you did the work you needed to and then felt it was time to rest. You were definitely my Guardian Angel... whether it was the rocky introduction to being a greyhound mom (you have to admit, the things you destroyed or chewed for those first six months were a trial at best!), or ushering in the other four pack members, you were good at your job. Even Dr. Hoover still talks about you from time to time. He's kept your picture in his binder.

I'll never forget the day we were coming back from your second Chiropractic/Acupuncture appointment and it started to storm. Heavy snow fall, zero visibility. Right as I was feeling the most tense, you got up and nuzzled my arm. It was like you were reassuring me that there was a clearing coming soon and that we'd make it through just fine. I have felt that same nuzzle at least a dozen times since, even though I was alone in the car each of those dozen times.

You're still here and you're still watching out for me. I Love you. Daddy loves you. Your pack loves you. Your family and friends all love you. We all miss you dearly. You were my first greyhound, my first dog, but you are so much more: companion, friend, comfort, love...

Love always, your Mom

Icarus AKA Jahoda's Richie

Born: 7/15/1999

Gotcha: 1/22/2004

Earned your wings: 4/11/2007

Icarusatevet.jpg

Icarus_and_Mommy.jpg

Four_Brindles_seek_Daddy.jpg

The rainbow he sent me a few days after his passing; the bright spot isn't the sun, the sun was actually farther away to the right. The rainbow was bright, brilliant and stretched across the sky. :)

IckysRainbow.jpg

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

A beautiful and touching letter to Icarus. I'm sure he is with you every moment. It's clear he brought great joy to your life. Thank you for sharing this with us - the rainbow he sent you was lovely.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest multiplicity

:grouphug

I can't believe it has been a year already!

Wonderfully beautiful tribute.

Edited by multiplicity

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you. St. Francis de Sales

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I cried after reading this. I still have a lump in my throat.

:cry1:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

I can't believe it's been a year already. I remember clearly how stunned and heartbroken I was for you :grouphug

I'm glad he's been watching over you :grouphug

Guest greyhound_bug

Oh Icky-doo, you are missed so much by so many, not just your mom and dad. Whenever we are at your mom and dad's, I expect you to greet us the way you always did, come to the door, say hi and then get back up on your couch :lol . A true couch potato you were...you took retirement VERY seriously. A man of few words but who's expression said it all.

We miss you Icky.

Love, Aunt Nat and Uncle Dan

:bighug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Icarus :wub: .

Send your momma another rainbow now and then.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a beautiful letter. :grouphug Always in our hearts...:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.