Walked Out Of The Vets Office In The Middle Of Our Appt

Guest LolaNLucy

I agree, good for you! It takes guts to walk out of an appointment like that and they clearly were not being respectful. Before we took King to our Vet, we really debated between 2 vets, mostly because of cost. In the end we decided to go with the one a couple of our friends reccommended. When we got their and found that the Vet has Greys of his own we knew this would be the best possible choice. I hope you find someone greyt! :) There should be a lot of Vets in Orlando, I'm sure you'll find the right one, just like Lola has found her perfect forever home!

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Guest Snowy8

I agree, we women know to go with our "gut"/womanly intuition & I think you went well with yours. I would check with some of the other grey owners & see who they go to.

Guest Tigonie
The first vet I went to actually told me that greyhounds weren't so special. She then went on to say that we owners just think they are. She even bashed the group I got my dogs from.

When we lived in Baltimore, there was a vet within walking distance of us. The first time I took Emma, I wasn't thrilled, but I thought the vet was ok (not great, but ok), and he seemed to know greyhounds. The second time I took her in, the vet actually commented to me that he didn't really like greyhounds and he thought they were ugly. :blink: After that, we went somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Yeah, when things aren't right, it's definitely better to go elsewhere!

Guest Dillymom
The first vet I went to actually told me that greyhounds weren't so special. She then went on to say that we owners just think they are. She even bashed the group I got my dogs from.

When we lived in Baltimore, there was a vet within walking distance of us. The first time I took Emma, I wasn't thrilled, but I thought the vet was ok (not great, but ok), and he seemed to know greyhounds. The second time I took her in, the vet actually commented to me that he didn't really like greyhounds and he thought they were ugly. :blink: After that, we went somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Yeah, when things aren't right, it's definitely better to go elsewhere!

Wow- that's just wrong. I guess to me a good dr should keep those kinds of opinions to himself.

I got several recommendations from my group and I got some recs from another GT member as well. Thanks for the vote of confidence I was starting to feel like maybe I overreacted.

Guest Snowy8

To me, unless your vet is someone you've known for a long time, they should keep their opinions to themselves. Even my vet who've I've used for nearly 30 years watches what he says...

Guest greyvettech

I'm sorry- It sounds as though the technician was on commission...It's so sad that all people care about is making money and not what's best for the animal...We are not on commission at work nor are we pushy...I would ask the client if they are interested in something, but the first hint that they are not..it's time to change the subject...It was fine of her to suggest hartguard..but ..that's it.. she should have just told you why she suggested it and leave it at that..... Good luck! :unsure

I had the exact thing happen to me with a dentist as mentioned above. I had always been an every 6 months girl and this new guy told me that I needed 12 fillings and two crowns -- six months after my last clear slate. Went to another dentist that said I just had a couple of spots that needed watching....

As far as vets, grey savvy is all good, but in my case a very grey savvy vet referred a nearby vet to me that he had the upmost respect for. In the last few years he has learned a ton about greyhounds, now works with adoption groups and is just an all around great guy. Grey savvy is vastly overrated in my book as far as basic routine care goes. Unless you have immediate breed specific needs find a highly recommended vet near you that is willing to become grey savvy.

Greys are a bit different, especially in bloodwork, but they are dogs, not some bubble wrapped foreign being and most vets are aware of the differences in everyday non speciality care. I do think in some cases greyhound adopters as a whole sometimes oveerrate their dogs and make them into ultra special dogs that they are not. There are lots and lots of clinics that have successfully spayed and neutered TONS of greyhounds for $50 each.

Good for you for walking out if it seemed like they were money mongers though.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest MrsDooLittle

I'm a firm believer in gut feelings. Good for you for walking out. I'm sure that you will find a vet that you do feel comfortable with because it is soooo important to feel good about the folks we trust with our babies.

Cindy

Guest FrostyBottoms

Yep, we get that "funny feeling in our gut" for a reason...I teach my kids to listen to it...no matter what, good for you for doing so too!

Guest greyvettech
Greylady- I had a similar experience with a dentist a few yrs ago. He tried to tell me I had 9 cavities. Funny but I didn't have any pain in my mouth. So I went to another dentist who said I had none. I should have just gone with my original gut instinct and not made the appt. But live and learn right?[

Sorry, I hit the wrong reply..geez

Edited by greyvettech

I say bravo to you for following your gut feeling. Did they charge for your 1/2 an appointment?

No they didn't charge me.

I'm in the Orlando, Fl area. The adoption group recommended a couple vets but they're all on the other side of town and are 40 min away so I was hoping to find someone more local for me. There's several adoption groups in my area so I'm going to contact them and see who they recommend.

Check here and see if any of these Vets are near you.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greyvettech

I'm not just saying this because I work there but our vet is grey savy...Where in Orlando are you? If it's too far, I know of some other grey savy vets..let me know.. :colgate

I believe in gut feelings. I'm a little concerned that you didn't tell them what was wrong.... over $200 worth of work and the vet hadn't seen her yet. I'd be watching the mail for a bill. I hope they don't and it's over with them. I also hope you find a new vet... a good one soon :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Dillymom
I believe in gut feelings. I'm a little concerned that you didn't tell them what was wrong.... over $200 worth of work and the vet hadn't seen her yet. I'd be watching the mail for a bill. I hope they don't and it's over with them. I also hope you find a new vet... a good one soon :)

Actually the mgr came out and told the receptionist to close out the acct with no charge so I'm pretty sure I won't get billed.

And I'm on the far south side of Windermere- I've gotten some recs but I'm definitely willing to get more.

Thanks so much

I would have left, too. There's a vet's office 3 blocks away but I drive 20 miles to take her to the one that treats all the houndies from a greyhound rescue group. You did the right thing. "Gut instinct" is rarely wrong. Good for you :)

I applaud you for leaving if you felt uncomfortable--but for what it's worth, my vet stopped selling Revolution. She had a reason, but I can't remember. I went to the Iverhart Max plus Frontline combon.

I don't think it's even LEGAL to charge you money to write a prescription. I'm probably wrong, but if any vet tried that on me, that would be the end of it. I left one vet because even though they charged a heafty office visit fee, they started to tack on a "hazardous waste disposal fee" for putting vaccination needles in their Sharps container (which they pay a bulk, flat fee to dispose of anyway)!

I wrote to the head of the clinic to express my dismay, and he wrote back and basically said, "We can charge anything we want and you are free to leave" so my elderly dog and three cats took our considerable business elsewhere!

My vet tried to charge me $90 for Iverhart Max Plus, and I happened to have a catalog with me and it was $45, so she wrote me a prescription and didn't bat an eyelash over the request.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyladydown
my vet stopped selling Revolution. She had a reason, but I can't remember.

My vet stopped selling it too, when she realized that it was not working as effectively as it should.

Actually the mgr came out and told the receptionist to close out the acct with no charge so I'm pretty sure I won't get billed.

And I'm on the far south side of Windermere- I've gotten some recs but I'm definitely willing to get more.

Thanks so much

Good for you! I'm glad the manager stepped in.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Dillymom

Yeah and I forgot that they did give me a reciept with a 0 balance on it that I'll hold on to.

I was really just looking for info on Revolution b/c it seemed cost effective so I wanted to see if it was a good product and she got all snippy about it. When I questioned the $15 she got very annoyed with me. I asked if this was their way to prevent people from saving money by finding the meds less expensive elsewhere. She wasn't very happy about that question.

I got several recs for a vet that's local to me from both my group and another local group. I'll call her Monday and make an appt.

We also changed vets not that the vet we were going to was bad but I did not have confidence in his Associates and his techs were something else. Hershey was spayed in December and came back into heat in August bleeding so bad that she went all the way down to the matress pad the tech told me I was crazy she was not in heat. Then would not give me an appointment for her for two weeks. I said she could bleed to death by then. Got really upset and wrote a letter to the chief vet and owner of the clinic. Mailman picked up the letter on Tuesday, the vet called me Wednesday, Appointment Thursday, Surgery Friday. More perks with this surgery that the one I paid for he even came into the office on a Sunday to resuture her as she pulled out the staples in his swim trunks. Said ovarian tissue must of been left in to cause her to go back into heat. I was spayed in 1968 have my ovaries and have not gone into heat so explain this to me....

We now have to travel the Parkway to our vet but traveling is about the same time as the other vet but he was all stop and go traffic

Glad you walked out of there I would of done the same thing

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

For what it's worth, my vet doesn't carry revolution (although she doesn't charge to write a script, regardless of whether or not they carry the medicine.)

I am glad you left, if you don't feel good about a place you don't want to stay--unfortunately I learned that the hard way with a human doctor.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest PhillyPups

Wow what an experience. I have not heard good things about Revolution so am wondering where you got your information to ask for it?? :dunno

When I was down in Florida with Marilyn a 40 minute trip to the vet would be considered a short run. :lol

We spent a few days going from Sparr to Orlando for the "RIGHT" most experienced, most grey savvy vets for the needs of the hounds to be met. Forty minutes is not that far to go for good for medical care for our hounds or for us.

Better luck with your next vet.

With my first greyhound I went with the vet the group recommended, and the adoption group I got mine from would let us all know via a group e-mail of any new "grey savvy" vets in the area, made it much easier for a new adopter to find an experienced vet.

Guest doggiehappiness

Wow. That is scary. The vet couldn't even come in and you already had a list of work that "needed" to be done? Is there a way to find out if anyone else has had complaints with this vet? I'm just wondering if the vet has a sketchy history...By the way, Lola is so cute!