Getting Pills Into A Smart Little Spitfire?

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Well Hannah has been on her Doxy for about half a month now - you can tell her tummy is a little upset and I'm looking forward to when we're done but I've run into a problem - Hannah may not be very smart about learning not to poop on the carpet but she is EXTREMELY clever when it comes to taking her meds.

She's on 2.5 Doxy twice a day, I'm having issues getting these pills into her. I've tried the "Open mouth and toss into the back of her throat" which she spits up 2 seconds later, I bought pill pockets - which she eats the pocket but not the pill by nibbling it off, we've tried cheddar cheese balls - which she won't take anymore, I've split Pepperoni down the center and stuffed the pill inside which she chews apart, spits out and then eats the meat leaving the pill on the floor and we've tried stuffing it in cat food - which she'll lick around the pill and leave the gravy covered pill sitting there.

I'm at a loss as to what I can do next....any suggestions?

Canned cat food. Form it into a little meatball, with the pill in the middle. My three LOVE cat food, even the prescription stuff my cat is on, and I recently found that this worked beautifully to get a pill into Buddy.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

try chunky peanut butter. It must be chunky.....they can't tell the diference between the nuts and the pill. Introduce it first before adding pills so she decides she likes it.

Pearl is picky....she takes 15 pills a day. She only likes liver and liverwurst. Very soft liverwurst. But she likes it so much, she doesn't try to take the pill out.

If she decides she doesn't like that, then I'm going to have to shove it down her throat. By the way, tossing it towards the back won't work. Stick your hand in her mouth and put the pill WAY back, where she can't get it back up.

Guest neenieca

Cream cheese works perfectly for Penny, who is notorious for eating whatever tasty thing I wrap her pills in, but leaving the pills behind. She now sits patiently and gobbles however many pills I have to give her, even if they're not perfectly coated in cream cheese. LOVE that stuff!

Before I discovered her love of cream cheese, I would open her mouth and put pills at the back of her throat, which worked really well when the reward was right: I made tiny little bite-sized meatballs (just tiny balls of hamburger pan fried, drained, and sprinkled with a little bit of garlic salt). Man, she adored the meatballs. She would actually come running when she heard the bottle of pills. And, she was so focused on getting to the meatball that she didn't have time to spit the pill back out. That was definitely a win-win situation.

Raw ground hamburger, turkey or pork also does the trick. I can even just drop the meat-wrapped pill in her bowl and she'll eat it!

Good luck! I know how frustrating this can be.

She doesn't like peanut butter and I'm using Fancy Feast grilled chicken and she just eats around the pill :(

Just kidding here of course, but maybe your vet would sell you a can of Purina NF Feline cat food. ;) My guys adore that stuff! :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I open the mouth and stick them down their throats with my finger. If I have many small pills, I put them in clear empty capsules. I got the capsules from a pharmacy but I've also seen them in some of the pet mail order places. I think KV Vet was one, but I could check which ones when I get home.

What I do with my smart pups is force pill them. Open their mouths, pinch the pill between two fingers and place it at the back of their throat. Then close their mouth holding their head up. They will swallow it. Sometimes blowing gently across their nose will quicken things up, or holding some yummy treat in front of their nose will help also.

Good Luck.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

We use peanut butter here but if she doesn't like that, you can get a "pill popper" from petsmart (or from your vet). It looks like a long syringe with a big mouth on it. You put the pills inside the syringe thing, open her mouth, put the pill popper all the way in the back of her throat (it has a looooong stopper) and pop the pills down her throat before she knows what happened. Follow up with her favorite treat to make sure she swallows.

We had to get VERY creative with Mia when she was so sick and refusing to eat but still needed to take her pills. This is the only thing we found that worked.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Second vote for cream cheese. The cream cheese tends to just slide down the throat. Although I know some medication can not be given with dairy products, I'm not sure if this is one of them

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Pound the pill into powder and put it into whatever.

I second that - crush it and mix it into something that she likes.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest celticfairiemom

I just tossed Callie's into her food, which was wet down. I mixed it up so she couldn't see them and then fed her. There was never a pill left in the bowl.

Guest GreytMuse

Meatballs work well here. One meatball with nothing to whet the appetite, 2nd meatball loaded with meds! Nothing worse than watching them spit that pill back out! :blink:

I have had the best luck with cream cheese. Shanti was on antibiotics for 8 weeks. She caught on to the game! Pill pockets worked for a few days. Peanut butter worked a bit, hot dogs, meat, cheese. We tried lots! She would figure it out. It is messy to do the cream cheese, but it works the best here!

Have you tried adding pepcid in? You can also check with your vet about carafate. I had to cook chicken and rice for Shanti to get her to eat on antibiotics. It makes them sick, and they know it is that pill hiding in there doing it! Good luck!!!

The Girls

Guest SurlyJen

Maybe put the pill in some ground beef? A REAL meatball? :D

Aley is on thyroid, and he has to take 2 a day. His pills are really small, but I just stuff one in a liver treat and down the hatch it goes! I also make him do a few tricks to get it, and by the time he's jumped up, given both paws a shake, turned around, sat, and high-fived me, he doesn't even care what the treat is, JUST GIVE ME THE TREAT ALREADY, MOM!! :D

If that doesn't work, force feed the pill like the others have said. It sucks, but it works.

Edited by SurlyJen

I've been pretty lucky with getting mine to take pills by just tossing them in when they were excited about a whole string of treats-for-tricks games. Especially with more than one dog (competition is our friend!), they are just grabbing the treat so fast they don't even know what it is until it's gone. You might see a funny look on her face for a second as it registers, "Hey ... that wasn't a bikky/kitty kibble/popcorn!" but then she'll be vying to get the next one in the series. ;)

Alternatively, again, just stuff, clamp, wait for the swallow, and follow with something yummy.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest brandi007

Wow thanks for all the suggestions - food just doesn't seem to work with her - she's just too clever (and bad!)

Holding her mouth closed after giving her the pill worked nicely today though :)

We'll see how we do tomorrow!

Thanks so much!

Guest janlove

I also tried everything with my Grey- but he outsmarted me each time. I finally resorted to crushing the pills (if you're able to) and putting them into Tuna Fish. Good Luck- they are smart little devils.

Not only do I have to hide the meds in food for the dogs, but I also have to do it for my daughter. I crush her pills for epilepsy and mix them with pudding. The other morning I mixed hers with cream cheese and the dogs with pudding. Tiff didn't say word when I plopped cream cheese in front of her. The dog didn't mind the tapioca either.

Guest RocketDog

We do little meatballs of ground beef or chicken for pills... if you make it small enough to swallow without chewing, the dog should just gulp it down. This is the only way we can get Cassie to swallow her fish oil capsules!