Causes Of Greyhound Limping?

Guest vampthing

Guest vampthing

Hi there,

I'm a new member although I've read back on some of the threads here. I adopted my gorgeous boy Cray at his 4th birthday, and he's nearly 8 now. Photos and info at http://www.gorge.org/greyhound .

Anyway I have come here for a bit of help and hope.

A couple of days ago Cray started limping. We think this was after my husband accidentally stepped backwards onto his paw (oops!) but also I was suspicious that he was limping a little before that, on the morning walk. It's hard to tell because I am disabled myself so we don't exactly go fast on our walks!

Anyway - the limp hasn't gone away. I can't find anything wrong - usually there's a cut or a sore spot or something, but there is nothing. I have felt up and down his leg and the muscles don't hurt, the bones feel normal, he lets me wiggle his toes and everything. No corns either. But he won't put weight on it.

So this makes me think either it's bruising where he was stepped on (although usually those sort of accidents are soon forgotten and don't cause any injury) or it's an early sign of the dreaded C.

I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow, but I was hoping that in the meantime you guys might have some encouragement for me - are there any causes of limping that AREN'T cancer? As I say there's no cut or swelling or corn - so I am at a loss to know why he won't put weight on the paw. He isn't wincing or yelping either, and he's eating fine and still asking for walks!

Any reassurance welcome - because all my googling for greyhound limping has led to osteosarcoma and nothing else :(

Guest ShelbyzMom

Shelby has been limping because of her elbow. I was worried what it would be too since she had swelling to go with it. It turns out that she has some spurs in her elbow (old racing injury) and we have an appointment this Saturday to see an orthopedic surgeon to discuss removal of the spurs.

Buddy started limping awhile back, not wanting to bear weight on one of his front legs. Turned out it was a problem with the discs in his neck. He was on anti-inflammatories, switched him from a collar to a harness, and he's been fine.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest BradyzMommy

Brady started limping shortly after we adopted him. And of course I feared the worst.

It turned out to be degenerative arthritis for which he is receiving treatment. I was relieved that it wasnt something more serious.

Any number of non "C" things can cause limping.

-Pulled muscles

-torn ligaments

-bruises

-sprung toes

-sore back

the list can go on and on.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Buddy started limping awhile back, not wanting to bear weight on one of his front legs. Turned out it was a problem with the discs in his neck. He was on anti-inflammatories, switched him from a collar to a harness, and he's been fine.

Yup - Celeste had the same problem. However, her limp would alternate between her front legs.

Our Darcy also will limp this time of year. She has some arthritis which seems to get worse when it's cold outside.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

It's impossible not to worry when your 8 year old or your 5 year old or your 10 year old limps. It is impossible! But most of the time it is not cancer. So I won't be so silly as to say don't worry cause I know you will but as others have said there are many other reasons with arthrititis being a better bet. Good luck tomorrow.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Shanti has been limping for almost 2 years. She is 4. It is arthritis. We are still trying to get to the bottom of it and help it. We suspect an injury from her short racing career.

Try not to get overly worried. You will know more after your vet visit. Lots of limps are not cancer. But I am sure it is the first one we all think of. Hang in there and let us know what the vet says.

The Girls

Guest HeatherDemps

A limp does not always equal cancer. In our case, it was osteo, but Dempsey is almost 12 and there have been SO many other times where he came up with a limp and it was not ever cancer in those cases. I think that every GH owner stresses and fears this when a dog starts limping. It's definitely good to be checking it out with your vet and you will hopefully get good news! Do keep us updated on the cause.

:)

Sending my prayers and white light that this is a "nothing" :) Please kiss your baby for me and update us when you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover

Sending good thoughts that it is something minor. Both of my boys limp and I am the same as you...always fearing the worst but it is arthritis. Please keep us updated.

Guest vampthing

Good news!

Turns out he had a couple of knocked up nails - in fact the nurses cut his nails a month ago but he has really long quicks so there's not much they can do, but he had a jab to help the swelling and I've been given steroid tablets for him for a few days to help.

He's still limping and wasn't at all impressed with the vet, but at least I know he should get better now. The vet explained how it's quite common and it's the nails that would have been on the inside when he was racing, so there's a tendency to damage them.

I've been told not to let him run about but that's easier said than done - we only have a small garden but he needs free access to it or we get messes in the house... Still, he hasn't been in his digging pit since he started limping, so hopefully he has the sense to lay off things like that til it stops hurting.

Thanks for all your good wishes, it really helped me relax while I was waiting.

I'm looking forward to staying around and popping in here when I can - it's always good to meet grey owners :)

Hi there,

I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow, but I was hoping that in the meantime you guys might have some encouragement for me - are there any causes of limping that AREN'T cancer?

Yes. My Polli age 9 years old had a limp SO badly, she looked like IGOR from Young Frankenstein. This lasted 6 weeks. She had a series of x-rays. Her pictures were sent to Cornell and OSU. No one could find anything. We nursed it. Very very short walks if any at all and when we did walk her we made sure she walked on the grass. When she walked on grass she did not limp.

With 4 greyhounds, I NEVER go through a period where someone is not limping. I am used to it.

Teddy has disk issues, Chloe has an old injury that flares up from time to time, Beau has a injury too that acts up from time to time and we know Polli's limp comes and goes.

While you can never be sure, and it's always best to get a baseline from the vet so you know what is going on.

Prayers that everything will be OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest vampthing

Thanks. Funny thing is that I felt each of his toes (and nails) quite firmly, to see if any were broken etc, and he didn't wince or growl.

When the vet did it, he winced.

I wish he wouldn't be "brave" for me, it stops me knowing what's wrong with him! It's very sweet that he comes to me when he's hurting or fed up, and trusts me to examine his sore spots (he's not quite as good with my husband) but it's also annoying when I can't see what's wrong.

Anyway, fingers crossed that he feels better soon. The vet gave me a syringe so I could crush his tablets up in water and squirt them into his mouth, but I managed to sneak a pill into a piece of cheese without him noticing. Wonder how long I will get away with that!

:yay:yay:yay:yay The very best kind of worry is worry for something that ends up not to be serious. Get better soon sweetie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren