Remembering Spottydog

Guest CorbysMom

Guest CorbysMom

You weren't my first greyhound. You weren't my prettiest greyhound. You weren't the smartest, or the best behaved, or the most confident....not by a longshot.

Yet, there was something about you. You were, without a single doubt, the very most innocent soul I've ever met. You were kind and more gentle than any boy I've ever known. You knew when a good snuggle would do the trick, the value of a brisk romp around the house, that toys were made for playing with and that, if nowhere else, you were safe in my arms.

Losing you was heartbreaking; so heartbreaking that I had to find another boy to fill the void you left, and I had to do it quickly. Adam will never replace you, but he's right there beside you. He was

just the smile I needed to start the healing. A wonderful new journey began.

The most magical thing about greyhounds is that adopting them changes your life forever. The most devastating thing about greyhounds is that losing them changes your life forever.

I miss you, Spottydog. Stay safe and warm until we meet again.

Love,

Mom

Guest jettcricket

I remember the story you told me about your precious Spottydog.....he indeed was a special soul and so very lucky to have had you in his life to love and protect. :gh_run:f_red

"The most magical thing about greyhounds is that adopting them changes your life forever. The most devastating thing about greyhounds is that losing them changes your life forever."

These words leapt off the page at me - they are so true.

:f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

:grouphug You are loved and missed sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I remenber Spottydog with a whole lotta love. Such a sweetie.

:grouphug

Gillian

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest CorbysMom
Could we have his story again and pictures? Spottydog has got to be one of the all-time best names!

Sure. I love talking about the Doggy. :) I wrote this on his 5th Gotcha Day:

I can't even begin to tell you all exactly what this day means to

me. Five years ago today, I brought the sweetest, most gentle and

most abused greyhound home to foster. He had been found with a

picket from a picket fence shoved in his rectum and puncture wounds

to his chest.

Everything was new and everything was overwhelming to him. He was

afraid of the world. He bucked like a bronco on lead, so leash

walking was out of the question. He was afraid of the back yard, so

letting him out for turnouts was an adventure in animal containment.

He was ready to run from life itself. He broke my heart. He

captured my soul.

Life with this beautiful boy was hard, but I couldn't give up on

him. No one had given him a fair shot at a decent, normal life. I

had to at least try to make him adoptable. I was up for the

challenge.

He took baby steps forward and giant steps back for months. It was

so frustrating to watch him progress and regress so badly. I started

to doubt that I could turn this boy around. And then, it happened.

This beautiful boy who would lose control of his bladder if you

looked him in the eye, shakily crept into my bedroom, hesitated,

jumped into my bed, snuggled his head onto my chest and, with a sigh

and a wuffle, fell asleep. I was laying there, still as can be with

tears just streaming down my face. After all the indignities and

atrocities he had suffered, this beautiful boy had decided to trust

again. How could I let him go? He was mine. More importantly,

I was finally his.

Life for this beautiful boy gets better every day. His baby steps

forward remain baby steps forward. He will always be a spook, but

it's okay. He's MY spook and I wouldn't want it any other way. He's

a 2.5 year cancer survivor, he's got hemmorhagic gastroenteritis,

he's frail-healthed as can be - he's perfect in every way. I

completely adore this boy.

This day is all for you, my beautiful boy. Gotcha, Spottydog!

Thank God.

Spottydog ended up being a 5 year cancer survivor! Because of Spotty, the SPOT (Special People Offering Treatment) Fund was created. We put his spots up for 'adoption' and raised thousands of dollars to help people who couldn't afford catastrophic medical care for their greyhound. That's my boy's legacy. I'm still so proud of him to this day.

Here's the boy with a million nicknames: Spot, Spotty, Spotty-2-Hotty, Spott-Doggy-Dogg, Speck and my all time favorite - Doggy:

231012078.jpg

This is the story of all stories. i can't see through all my tears.

Bless your heart for loving him the way you did.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CorbysMom
Awwww Nance remember Dewey? I was excited to be able to pet Spotty and you were excited to get a hand on Pearl! Our two spotty spooks.

Waaah! I do! Remember walking around with your hands in your pockets and the lights turned low so PearlGirl wouldn't have a heart attack? I would go through that all again to have another kiddo like Spotty. There's something so special about spooks. Sniffy.....

Awwww Nance remember Dewey? I was excited to be able to pet Spotty and you were excited to get a hand on Pearl! Our two spotty spooks.

Waaah! I do! Remember walking around with your hands in your pockets and the lights turned low so PearlGirl wouldn't have a heart attack? I would go through that all again to have another kiddo like Spotty. There's something so special about spooks. Sniffy.....

I do!! We HAVE to get together soon. She, like Spotty, is still a spook, but what a different dog she is now. She is as Spotty was when I got to meet him. Great memories.

:weep :weep :weep That was unbelievably touching.

Love defined.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

An amazing story of the power of love, patience, persistance and forgiveness. Bless you & Spottydog. I'm so very sorry for your loss and wish you and your new companion all the best. Opening your heart to another greyhound is the best way to honor & remember a dear companion passed.

[gallery_4177_3286_2416.jpg Neighbor Mike

Inspired by Beloved Angels Danny & Mick

Custom Quilted Coats, Wallhangings & MORE

"From there to here, From here to there, Funny things are everywhere.

Especially with a greyhound in your life!

There is a reason Spotty found you and now all of us know why. You gave him the love and strength he needed to overcome what sounds like a very rough start in life. You are an awesome person and I wish you well.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)