Blood Donor Greys

Xan

Brilly got typed and accepted to be a donor yesterday, which is great. :D But as we were going over details, she mentioned that they "lightly sedate" the dogs during the procedure.

Is that common? Do they do that to all donor dogs?

I really want to do this, but I'm not sure I'm happy about sedating my dog every 6 to 8 weeks! :unsure:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Gee I don't know the protocal Xan, but I would not agree to having my dog sedated every 6 to 8 weeks either.

Only one of my dogs has ever given blood and it was on an emergency basis while I was at the vet with him. Da Bones was the donor and as I have said many times over, he is truly unflappable. No sedation required for that one time.

I have never heard of that. The folks I know whose hounds donate have said that the staff is just really good at keeping the dog calm.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

No, not here. Although we are one of the few that use the leg vein rather than the jugular.

In fact, we have a requirement that they not have been on any medication for the previous 2 weeks except for heartworm meds.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Nope, they do not need to sedate greyhounds because they are so docile. Talk to them and see if they'll try it without sedation.

I wouldn't be comfortable having mine sedated either.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Hm. Just talked to her again. She says it's a VERY light sedation with something that sounded like "dex domator" (not having any luck looking it up) reversed by anticiden (sp?), that they're only under for about 10 minutes, and even while under they often react to people around them with their eyes, or wagging a tail. She says they used to try without sedation, but just couldn't get a full draw.

I mentioned that others have said their dogs were not sedated, and she said maybe the owners weren't told, but she knew other blood banks do this. She didn't say ALL blood banks do it. She was very nice and all, said most owners are taken aback at first, but the dogs show no effects at all, walking around normally as soon as the reversal drug is in.

While the dog is out, they will also scale the teeth, clean the ears and trim the nails. Cool! ....

Or, NOT cool??? :blink:

Oh yeah, and she said they could try it without first.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest greyladydown

Our vet offers the option of sedation for the more nervous dogs. I did have one sedated. The drug wore off in less than an hour. It's was like giving Rescue Remedy - it just calmed and relaxed the dog. There were no side effects.

What I am surprised about is that your vet will draw blood every 6-8 weeks. Our vet makes the dogs wait t least 3 months and prefers to wait 5 months between blood draws.

Guest spider9174

A foster of mine is a blood donor and I just took her. The information packet I read said that they give a mild sedative if the dogs are more energetic.

Guest tcornwel

The OVC told me that they put freezing around the site, and 45 min draw the blood (time to let the freezing work). Some dogs do require sedation, but they would never sedate without contacting the owner first (and they have never had a grey require sedation). They use a pump to draw the blood so they get the 450 ml in 5 min.

The drugs she's talking about are Domitor and Antisedan.

To be honest, it sounds to me like they don't know greyhounds. I would be really unhappy if someone who didn't know the breed -- and the appropriate dosages of those drugs for the breed -- used those drugs on my dog with no reason. And I would not let someone sedate any dog of mine "as a matter of course."

Can you tell I'm crabby this afternoon? :lol

I suspect you could do a long blood draw even on nervous Zema without sedation. She wouldn't like it, but you could do it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks, Batmom. Yeah ... I asked them about greys and their experience. They do have "several" in their practice and program (it's also a hospital), but really, I wonder .... I will definitely ask them to try without sedation, first. I don't expect he'll be too cooperative about the tooth scaling, though. :unsure:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest budsmom

That sounds like what they gave Bud when he got his stitches after falling down our deck. It wasn't just a slight calm, he was out. The shot they gave him to reverse it worked very quickly, though, he was able to walk out of the office on his own just fine.

Guest greytelectric
Brilly got typed and accepted to be a donor yesterday, which is great. :D But as we were going over details, she mentioned that they "lightly sedate" the dogs during the procedure.

I really want to do this, but I'm not sure I'm happy about sedating my dog every 6 to 8 weeks! :unsure:

Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital here in Portland, OR have a blood donor program. My male grey is a donor. When I bring him in, they lift him on the massage table (yes, a REAL massage table) and massage him before they take the blood. He does not get sedated. And he usually falls asleep during the procedure. Doesn't feel a thing. After the donation, he gets a massage again. Then he gets to pick a free toy. Again, NO sedation. It's not necessary.

AND, we donate every 3 months, not every 6 to 8 weeks!!!!

Guest houndlover

Daisy had been a blood donor at a local vet hospital for years (she over the age limit now) and they never sedated her. I had to go in for an evaluation ahead of time so they could see what her tempermant was like. I actually had brought Casey in to be a blood donor and they wouldn't use him b/c he was too skittish and they don't sedate. Daisy is a very happy personable dog and she didn't have any problems. The vet hospital that we used did the draw from the jugular and I know that one time when I went to pick her up she had a HUGE hematoma on her neck. The woman who did the draw came out to talk to me and said that Daisy had tried to get up during the draw to greet one of the staff members that was coming into the room (even though there was a do not disturb sign on the door specifically for this reason). Daisy did not donate every 6-8 months. I think it was more like 2x's per year.

Guest Pat2003

No sedation for us. Our adoption group set up a deal with Eastern Veterinary Blood Bank. They come to us. We get a total blood profile including parasite testing for each dog that volunteers. After five donations the dog is eligible for free blood if needed for life. It is a win-win for everybody that participates. They are great. It takes about 1/2 hour and for my 60lb girlie they take 1/2 pint. They give her tons of treats and it isn't traumatic for her at all. She has given three times, so we have two more donations to make the five for free blood.

Guest Forgreys

No, not so soon together!! I have heard from experts that it is not good at all to have a greyhound donate blood more frequently than three months apart!!!

I wouldn't call Dormitor a mild sedative. That is what the drive thru vet for the all breed rescue used to neuter Roy.

Exactly. And I've heard of more and more vets using Dormitor lately, but Dr. Radcliffe at least (track vet in WVa) is not a fan.

Honestly, if they are telling you they sedate their dogs, see if you can find a different place. The vets who do ours won't accept dogs who are too nervous to donate. That's why Zuri is a donor but Neyla is not. Ours get hugged on a table while they're giving blood, getting pets the entire time. Zuri doses off, and when he's done, they throw handfuls of treats on the floor for him to hoover up. If at any point, the dog is too nervous to take food, they won't continue. Their main concern is that the dogs are comfortable with it, and that's how it should be.

I would never sedate my dog unnecessarily and donating blood certainly falls into that category. Would you donate blood regularly if you had to be sedated every time?

Sorry, not "yelling" at you Xan, just at the blood bank people who feel it's necessary to use sedation. Crazy!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow!! Hm. I wonder if there IS another blood bank nearby?

Wow again! Just googled for vet. blood banks in our area, and found all this about the main vet, who's a pioneer in canine cancer treatment research! :blink:Dr. Ed Sullivan. That's just one link of many.

I checked the website again, and they do ask their canine donors to come in every 8 weeks, and take about 450ml (less than two cups ... which is about what they take from humans!)

There may not be another blood bank in our area. Hm!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

There may not be another blood bank in our area. Hm!

Would be a shame if that's the case. Well if they're willing to work with him without sedation, then I say go for it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest armanntoo

My Wendy is a bit of a wriggler, and doesn't like her feet and lower legs being messed with, and my vet likes to take the blood from the leg. When we give blood, the vet gives her a very mild relaxant (don't know what it is). She is never knocked out, but goes to the level of "Mess with my feet, I don't care", and there is no problem. She will just lay there and watch what is going on, and when done, she gets a jab of something to reverse it. My vet has a list of donors, and when Wendy gets to the top of the list she calls, so that I know where we stand, and can be prepared at a moments notice to take her in.

If she was going to be knocked out, I wouldn't put her through it, and my vet knows it.

Edited by armanntoo

Only one of our greys and our golden retriever tested okay to donate. They both donated every 3 months for the University of PA hospital for a few years until they were over the age limit. They were never sedated. The hospital has a blood mobiles they send to different locations on a regular basis.

It's was nice to hear, when we went back, that the blood they drew from our grey was used that day to save another in emergency surgery.

But NO, they were never sedated, they looked forwarded to the snack after it was over.

Kathy