Free Heath Bar, 8/22/94 - 2/8/08

Guest phoenixrizn

Guest phoenixrizn

Heath came to me in late 1998, after his 4-year racing career was over.

When I first saw him, I remember being amazed at what a graceful animal he was. We saw him first at the farm in Gilroy, CA where Greyhound Friends for Life had their greyhound intake. Straight off the track, he was lean and muscular--the picture of greyhound strength and speed. He was reticent to come to me or my husband. He was clearly scared in the unfamiliar situation.

We were given a choice between two of the new arrivals, Heath and another dog.

The other dog was very friendly, but Heath tugged at our hearts. There was something about him...

On the ride home to Fremont, he was terrified in the car. I sat in the back seat with him for the hour-plus ride. He was very happy to arrive at our home, strange though it was for him.

We used his crate for about a week. He had only one accident in the house, and after that week, he was house-trained for good.

He had a cursory cat-testing, but he never showed any inclination to go after any of our three cats. A couple of weeks after we got him, I took him to a friend's house for an evening. The family had two young kittens.

Tentatively, we let the kittens approach Heath. He laid in the floor on his comforter and let them literally crawl all over them while I petted him.

He never hesitated to chase squirrels in the yard, though!

It took him a few months to figure out how to play. We provided many stuffies, but he wouldn't go for them. He would tolerate me squeaking them and throwing them, but he never made any move to go after them.

Then, about a year after we got him, I caught him out in the yard, throwing a stuffy up into the air and jumping to catch it! What a beautiful sight! And when he got the zoomies...he was exuberant. He had such a broad smile!

He handled additions to the family well--in California, another greyhound, Spike, and two more cats. Each time, you could see he was not pleased to share his mom, but after a few days of "Is this one REALLY going to stay here??," he accepted each new family member without reserve.

He loved to go on long walks and hikes, and to go run with his friends.

He handled my divorce and subsequent move to the Austin, Texas area well. He accepted a new packmate, Gidget, as his playful younger sibling.

He was always the first to comfort me when things were bad--through the divorce, through the deaths of my old cats, and then my mother and finally my grandmother, he offered his services as tear-absorber. He had a lovely way of hugging me, pressing his chest into mine as hard as he could.

When my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I moved to CT for my new job, he suffered a terrible injury when we had a wreck pulling a U-Haul trailer out of Austin. My Forerunner flipped. Through some miracle, no one was critically injured. All the glass was knocked out of the truck, and Heath had a deep cut to his haunch. It took a long time to heal, but he never complained throughout his recovery. After one month in CT, we had a lovely month alone together while my boyfriend went back to TX to fix up my house to sell, and to pick up Spike and Gidget (they were left with a friend because I didn't think Heath could handle two other dogs in the back of an Outback for the long drive to CT).

I will treasure the memory of those days forever. We played together in the yard and he slept on my bed. He loved the attention. He cavorted and gamboled in the yard, smiling just like he had when he was young. It was a great time.

We moved to MA the following year, and 6 weeks later I found out I was pregnant.

Heath welcomed our daughter Avery when she arrived, and watched her grow into the beautiful 13 month-old she is now.

At Christmas, he began to limp. We though he'd torn something in his shoulder.

Then, he tore one of his back toenails completely off. He'd had some rear-end instability off and on since we lived in CT, and with his front-end limp, he probably had an accident trying to make it around the area we'd shoveled for him in our snow-covered yard.

When we took him to the vet, we noticed the lymph nodes in his neck were swollen. Needle aspirates showed lymphoma. Aspirates from his back legs showed the same.

Within a week, I was having a hard time distinguishing which leg he was limping on--front or back, left or right. Despite pain meds, he was clearly in pain.

We helped him to the bridge last Friday.

My heart is broken. He was my heart dog. I love Spike and Gidget, but Heath was so very special.

He was always such a gentleman, such a dear, sweet soul.

Run free, sweet Heath. I'll see you at the bridge.

post-8741-1202782175.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss. Heath sounds like he was a very special boy. Godspeed!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry for your loss. The tribute was beautiful and shows just how much he was loved by you and how much he loved you.

Godspeed Heath.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

I am so sorry for your loss. Heath was a very special, handsome boy.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greyhoundbaby

I am so sorry for your loss...

May you find comfort in the love of friends and peace in the many warm memories you will always have of Heath...

Run free sweet hound :gh_run

Guest Greyglo

Your description of your precious boy was so touching. I hope he's watching you from above with that same greyt smile, and that the special memories you have of him comfort you.

:f_red

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, sweet special fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a lovely tribute to your best boy. :heart My deepest condolences for your loss. :grouphug He claimed your heart and will live on in your memory forever. Know that he's in the best of company at the Bridge, doing pain-free zoomies with all his new friends. :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry. Run free sweetie...and send your family many beautiful Rainbows until you meet again. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How moving your tribute was of Heath. That really tugged at my heart strings. He so resembles my Scooter. Run free sweet Heath. May your memories of Heath remain in your heart forever. Peace and comfort are prayers I send your way.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug

Run with the angels Heath and send your mom a sign that you are ok. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I felt that I 'knew' Heath from your tribute :beatheart

I'm very sorry for your loss :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!