Question About Greys And Thyroid Problems.....

Guest ProudGreyMom

Guest ProudGreyMom

This question is in reference to my 9 year old Grey, Jake who we have had for almost 7 years. He has always been skittish and has had SA issues etc. due to the conditions he came from prior to adoption.

I know he had the full run of tests in his earlier days with us but am wondering if he might have some thyroid issues now. He has a gorgeous coat of hair but it has been coming out in small clumps in his shoulder and hind end area. His skin seems uncomfortable in those areas but I don't see any marks/redness etc. He has also had an increase in accidents in the house. He doesn't smell bad but his breath is rude! His eyes are clear but he has a lot of dark goobers that I have to clean off. He seems to be hyperactive and pushy when he should be exhausted (like after a long walk, trip to the pet store etc.)

I am planning on making a vet appt but was wondering what the typical thyroid symptoms you have seen in your greys are?

At the age of 9 it would be a good idea to have a comprehensive senior panel done and while the lab is doing that they could also do a thyroid panel. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest ProudGreyMom

I have President's day off and am hoping to get an appt for him on that day for a full check up. I am just gathering info now. My vet retired and this will be a new vet for Jake (and for me) so I want to be prepared.

Edited by ProudGreyMom

Please make sure your vet runs the whole thyroid panel, not just the T4. It's a better reading.

Symtoms? My Chloe is 3 and was diagnosed hypothyroid within 2 months of her racing career ending. All 4 races.

Prior to her meds, her T4 was .02 which is exceptionally low, even for a greyhound. She exhibted things like: being a spook to the point of never wanting to leave her crate except for eating and walks. She was frightened of everything.

She did have semi bald thighs. Other than that, not too many symtoms.

Now, she is a crazy maniac, fun loving party girl with most of the hair on her thighs grown back. It's hard to believe it's the same dog.

Hope your pup checks out fine.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Doesn't sound like hypothyroid.

I would get the CBC and see what the T4 comes back. If it's low for a greyhound, then get a full panel from MSU. If it's not low for a greyhound, you've pretty much ruled out a thyroid problem. Please don't medicate your dog on the basis of a low T4 alone -- get the full panel and have the MSU folks interpret it (an extra $2 or so).

The key features of hypothyroid in dogs are weight gain on very little food, lethargy, exercise intolerance, and hair loss -- usually symmetrical, along both sides and flanks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

With Ace I noticed she was grumpier than usual (she is a little crabby about her space but it had been really bad!) and she had some small seizure activity. I guess I'd say she was a little bit more lazy than usual as well.

Doesn't sound like Jake is hypothyroid if he's got EXTRA energy, but, doesn't hurt to have it checked. My vet did the full panel right off the bat and had it sent to Michigan State University.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have three littermates - Darlin, Cutie and Alpo. I had all of them tested for thyroid with their first blood panel after they came home. Cute tested low thyroid and was put on Soloxine - Alpo and Darlin were within the normal range. This was when they were 4 1/2.

Fast forward to about a month ago when I noticed that Darlin ( 9 1/2 now) was losing hair - her stomach was bare - she was losing clumps on her butt and the hair was thinning on her legs. She had gotten sick last year after she and Survey had a tug of war with a rabbit, and lost quite a bit of weight while we were trying to get her intestines back to normal. I'd had a hard time getting weight back on her and keeping it there. Anyway, her test results came back at the low end of the scale.

She hasn't been on Soloxine long enough to notice much improvement in hair growth, but she does seem to be holding her weight a little better after a couple weeks on the Soloxine. But, she's also back on Viokase to slow her intestines down a little because her stools were still a little "abnormal", so that might be the reason too. Her energy level has always stayed good.

It's a good idea to have Jake tested. Thyroid symptoms can be so wide ranging and subtle.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thanks everyone. I will definately get a full work up on Jake. I don't want him to be uncomfortable in any way. I think its the weird, tufty hair that really made me take notice. I thought he was just losing some of his thick coat at first from the weird weather but the clumps keep coming.

Guest Redpack

When you say "clumps" do you mean about 10 hairs that kind of look like hair plugs? Emissary had some of those come out last night when I was brushing him, and they worried me.

Hi, my dog Ozzie, was just recently diagnose with hypothyroid and now he seems to have more SA than ever!

He's 4. We got him late December. He had some housebreaking issues (going in the same spot whenever we would leave the house) could also be connected to SA. We started crating him again and he did fine - sleeping/resting most of the time - keeping himself busy with his toys the rest of the time. Now that he's been on the Soloxine, he can't seem to rest for more than an hour at a time - if he's lucky. He's always liked to try and take apart his toys, or a blanket, but now he does it with so much anxiety that he shreds stuff to pieces. When I called the vet, they said this is probably the true Ozzie coming out.

They did do a full work up of his blood - testing the "free" T4 as well. I guess I'll call again today and ask them to send it to MSU too.

Any insight/experience with this issue is greytly appreciated!

How much thyroid is he on? What exactly were the test results?

The symptoms of thyroid issues vary greatly. I had one grey who was underweight and gained the needed 5# after starting thyroid supplement.

Depending on the dog and symptoms, I pay more attention to symptoms than "what is normal for a greyhound". Many people misquote, or partially quote, the study in Florida regarding normals for greyhounds.

I have started getting a T4 with the blood work when a grey comes home to me. This is used as a baseline only. If, for instance, Huston or Grace started showing any symptoms, at their age, I would do a full panel and we would have one reference point to work from.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

My old dog had a thyroid problem and there were ABSOLUTELY NO personality changes.

His coat became dry and brittle virtually overnight, and I knew instantly what the problem was.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Now that he's been on the Soloxine, he can't seem to rest for more than an hour at a time - if he's lucky. He's always liked to try and take apart his toys, or a blanket, but now he does it with so much anxiety that he shreds stuff to pieces. When I called the vet, they said this is probably the true Ozzie coming out.

If they didn't do a full panel the first time, chances are he wasn't hypothyroid and he's now overmedicated/hypERthyroid. I would scout for a new vet who knows greyhounds and, with that vet's counsel, probably take him off the meds altogether. Best done sooner rather than later.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Greyhound Gang's new web site has medical info available. As does Dr. Stack's medical info on Greyt Health (which Greyhound Gang offers in booklet form with her permission.)

Greyhound Gang Medical Info - Thyroid

Basically - the full panel must be run. Greyhound run low normally.

Dr. Jean Dodd of Hemopet is an expert, and is happy to consult on test results.

Many vets misdiagnose, and put hounds on thyroid meds they don't need to be on.

Hope this helps.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Ozzie's fT4 was a .6. He was given .5 Soloxine 2x/day and now the vet has agreed to cut it down to .25 2x/day.

I'm definitely going to ask for a copy of the results and at least have another vet look at them. He had no symptoms.

Actually - when he came off the track he had the bare butt but it was already growing back before he was ever diagnosed.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

On most labs' scales that I've seen, T4 of .6 in a greyhound with no symptoms wouldn't indicate hypothyroid. Most of my vets wouldn't even suggest running a full panel in that case. (With symptoms, different story.) You need the full panel for the TSH and some other measures.

On most labs' scales that I've seen, T4 of .6 in a greyhound with no symptoms wouldn't indicate hypothyroid. Most of my vets wouldn't even suggest running a full panel in that case. (With symptoms, different story.) You need the full panel for the TSH and some other measures.

Okay - I'm calling my vet tomorrow for a copy of what was done. I believe they did the full panel.

Thanks again - for your input. I'll keep you posted when I get the results.