Otis Has A Big Problem

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

As you may or may not know...Otis has been having accidents in the house. He has had x rays and ultrasounds, UA's and blood work all normal. At the moment he is on an antibiotic ....just to try it and see if it might help the peeing.

Today I came home after leaving him in his kennel 3 hours. He had peed in his kennel....a large spot but nothing soaked.

I let him outside and he peed and peed and it doesnt stop. He was walking to the house still peeing. He got in the house an still was peeing.

He lays in his bed and urine is dripping out....a lot. I got close and looked and touched his belly by his penis and urine shot out. I put a belly band on him.

Do I take him to the University? They cant do any kidney studies this weekend.....all they can do is an xray and and a UA until Monday. or do I wait till Monday.

For some reason the plumbing is turned on and cant turn off....if he has a parital obstruction....can he wait.

Poor guy...will be sound asleep and bolt up ...not sure if its the belly band or if its cause he knows hes peeing.

I am feeling pretty anxious about this...trying to do what is right for Otis...but not throw money away if they cant do anything for him on the weekend..

Any suggestions? I have to call the U of M Vet back and let them know if I am coming.

Edited by WarmheartedPups

If he had an obstruction he wouldn't be leaking urine, unless a stone was lodged partly blocking the urethra. It might be painful, but not dangerous, as long as urine is flowing.

However, I would certainly ring your vet for advice, but if you have the opportunity to take him in, I'd do it. It's unusual enough for me to want answers ASAP.

Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'd take him now rather than later.

Poor bug, and poor mom.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How's his water intake? Any signs of dehydration?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest houndlover

Can the vet give you any info over the phone instead of bringing him in? It sounds like he has already been seen for this by a vet and is being treated even though they aren't quite sure what the problem is. I know that my vet has an emergency number that I can call, leave a message and they will call me back and give me advice over the phone OR they will tell me that it sounds like an emergency and they will meet me at the office. I'm not sure what other vet's policies are about stuff like that though.

Guest WarmheartedPups
How's his water intake? Any signs of dehydration?

What are the signs of dehydration?

He is drinking water. I was able to talk to a Vet at at Specialty clinic. She said as long as he is drinking water and not having problems walking and not in discomfort, see the Internist on Monday....and bring all Otis chart notes and x rays etc.

She said to stop the antibiotic he is on.

She said I can always bring him in sooner if things go downhill.

She was very helpful and answered all my questions.

I am not very good at this waiting game. My nature is to want to do something right NOW and fix it.....I am just sitting here watching him sleep. At least he is sleeping...he is getting accustomed to the belly band.

Poor guy :( I know its silly to worry so much but I'm sick to my stomach.

:( Sending big bunches of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry, I won't really be much of any help, I'd probably go to the vet and talk to them ...

Here is my somewhat similar story --- Cool, will be 11 early March, a couple of years ago, one day he was just, basically, incontenient. He was leaking pretty much all of the time. I put him in a belly band for protection. I'd take it off him in the morning and it would be absolutely SOAKED and he'd be leaking. I took him to the vet, when the band came off, he was a constant, small stream, leaking. They did x-rays and ua's etc. All was fine as far as they could tell. They gave me an antiinflammatory and we made an appt with the chiropracter. After a couple of doses of the antiinflammatory things got better. The chiro did say he had some misalignments in his spine. After the chiro, he's never had an issue of the same magnitude again. I try to take him to the chiro every few months -- he's due to go again actually. He does have brief, minor instances of incontenience on occasion - very unpredictable. He's in a belly band when I'm gone most of the time, just in case.

So, I'd probably go talk to the vet about all possibilities...

Good luck

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Guest sweetpea

No substantial advice, just a hug for poor Otis. :sad1

Sweetpea had an almost indetectably low amount of bacteria in her urine, but she was peeing a lot (6 to 10 times a day).

I was wondering if Sweetpea had diabetes, since I think increased urine output may be a symptom, but the antibiotic seems to be

working for her. (That and the fact that she's back on dog food, not a bland diet which has a ton of water in it.)

Good luck :clover

Buzzy

and the lovely and sad-for-leaky-otis Sweetpea

Sign of dehydration would be similar to a human's. Pull up on some loose flesh. When you let go does it spring back to normal position or does it stay peaked up a bit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LindsaySF
Is he drinking more water than usual?

No same amount of water.

That makes me think it could be a UTI or even a spinal/nerve problem like Greytdogsks mentioned. Usually with something metabolic (Cushings, diabetes, etc) there is increased water consumption as well.

Sign of dehydration would be similar to a human's. Pull up on some loose flesh. When you let go does it spring back to normal position or does it stay peaked up a bit.

You can also check their gums. When you press on them are they dry and sticky, or nice and moist?

~Lindsay~

I would for sure get him in on Monday for tests and x-rays. My beagle started with all of a sudden can't turn the pee off, and he had a tumor. Sending prayers. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Rule of thumb in our house is if we have to ask... it's time to take them. Good luck and hugs your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest WarmheartedPups

Otis is normal this a.m. ....the flood has turned off. No dripping....no uncontrollable streams of urine.

I was able to speak with the Vet last night that performed Oatys Ultrasound ( he is a good friend of a girlfriend of mine and he was kind enough to call and just chat with me.)

He said I could bring Otis in on Monday and he would redo his Ultrasound for me....to check and see if any crystals had developed. Interestingly enough, the antibiotic he was on has a side effect of crystal formation!

He told me it is usually females that are incontinent. He has a few suggestions more holistic than traditional that we will discuss on Monday. I will also call my Vet on Monday and report.

Keep your fingers crossed for Oaty boy.

Just want to send best wishes for you and Otis and hoping for the very best Will look forward to hearing how you and he make out tomorrow at the vet.I'm sure the weekend is very long for you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Good to see Otis is better. I hope the vet can find the problem tomorrow. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest houndlover
Otis is normal this a.m. ....the flood has turned off. No dripping....no uncontrollable streams of urine.

I was able to speak with the Vet last night that performed Oatys Ultrasound ( he is a good friend of a girlfriend of mine and he was kind enough to call and just chat with me.)

He said I could bring Otis in on Monday and he would redo his Ultrasound for me....to check and see if any crystals had developed. Interestingly enough, the antibiotic he was on has a side effect of crystal formation!

He told me it is usually females that are incontinent. He has a few suggestions more holistic than traditional that we will discuss on Monday. I will also call my Vet on Monday and report.

Keep your fingers crossed for Oaty boy.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your boy. I am so glad that you were able to talk to someone to set your mind at easy. Were the holistic suggestions that the vet had related to the formation of crystals? If so, could you please let me know what he says after you talk to him? My female, Daisy, has crystals and I would be interested to know of other types of treatments out there. My vet, whom I adore, takes more of a traditional approach to things rather than holistic so she wasn't sure of other options.