New To Greytalk

JackieDog

Hello, my family and I were very lucky to get our first greyhound, Jackie (as you may have guessed by my screenname), a little over a month ago. She is a 6 year old retired racer--I've had a lot of fun looking up her ear tatoos and her race record as well as about the breed in general. I've learned about martingales, chattering and that bare bottoms are a thing of beauty! Anyway, she really is the ideal dog for our family. My husband has been a fan of greyhounds for years but we had dalmatians when we first got married (since passed away). Now we have Jackie and I can't imagine getting another type of dog. She is the sweetest, most gentle loving dog, who of course loves napping as a hobby. She's not very interested in toys, unless there is food involved. She LOVES squirrels and cats--good thing she is always on a leash!

I am curious though...I got her from a co-worker who had adopted her from a group which did have a clause about returning the dog if they ever gave her up. I feel as though I have a black market dog!! We love her to death and have no intention of having an Ellen Degeneres type situation.

The dog seems happy with us. She did not get along with their other dog and once they moved to this area they were in a smaller house/no yard and the tension was escalating. Here she is a pampered only dog--which I think she likes (she is NOT interested in other dogs on walkies). She gets at least 3 walks a day 15-30 minutes (vs a quick turn out) with us and has given up her old habit of chewing furniture when left alone. Actually, she rarely is alone more than an hour with some combination of me, my husband, two children (who are very gentle with her), and the babysitter in and out all day. We also take her to a tennis court for off-lead runs once or twice a week. When we first got her we took her out and got her some warm clothes. All she had was a sweater I suspect was made for a smaller breed--hard to get on and off and she hated it. Now she has a nice fleecy for 40-60 degrees and a warm coat for under 40 (I think I would put her in both if it gets under 20). I've also switched her food, took her to the vet, updated her vaccinations etc (rabies was expired!), licensed her and bought her a new bed and a crate (which she seems to like and puts herself in at night if I haven't done it fast enough).

I guess my point is that she is now in a home that is taking care of her, spoiling her often, and offering lots of love and scratches. She seems happy and relaxed and I wouldn't want her adopting organization trying to interfere with our situation, but I really want to contact someone as I've identified some of her relatives--I'm just worried someone might interfere because of how we got her. Do the agencies really go after unofficial rehomes if the dog is doing well?

Well anyway, this is Jackie and we love her! I'm going to try and attatch pictures, but I'm used to another forum (non-doggie).

221.jpg

256.jpg

She won't play with the toys in the picture--that was when we first got her and we didn't realize she wasn't interested.

Anyway, thanks for listening :D

Cathy (aka Jackie's Mom)

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

Welcome :wave Sounds like you are dedicated to giving this little girl a good life. I would think Jackie's former adoption group would be happy to hear that she's safe and in a good home. Have your read Greyhounds For Dummies or other similar books?

Please stay with us here. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

what a beauty and how lucky Jackie landed with you. I would contact the former adoption group too and just explain how you have explained to us. Sounds like you already know a lot and have made the commitment. I can tell from your post you love Jackie. To me, she sounds home. Welcome and Congrats. :colgate

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Welcome :wave Sounds like you are dedicated to giving this little girl a good life. I would think Jackie's former adoption group would be happy to hear that she's safe and in a good home. Have your read Greyhounds For Dummies or other similar books?

Please stay with us here. :)

Thank you for the welcome! I read --and read the highlights to the rest of the family-- the Dummies book (I love those!) and also "Adopting the Racing Greyhound". We had about a week's notice before getting her, (I didn't want her coming home when my in-laws and their two dogs were visiting) so we had time to read up. Definitely good material. I went through several adoption site's webpages to get an idea of what we should be prepared with. Nothing prepared us for the instant love! We were supposed to keep her for the weekend to see if it was a good idea but with an out so the children (5 and 10) wouldn't get too upset if she left. Well, she was in the house for all of 2 hours and my husband went out to get the crate and toys. The next day was shopping for clothes and the vet visit was next. Those big brown eyes are amazing!

Blank 500 x 150.jpg

Guest houndlover
:welcome from Mass. Jackie looks so happy and content. Congrats on the recent addition. I would agree that you should contact the group that the dog is originally from and let them know that you have her and the circumstances. I would think that they would be glad that she is in a loving home and being well taken care of.

Congratulations on your newly adopted pup! Jackie looks gorgeous and seems comfortable right where she is! I agree with the advice others have given.

Welcome to GreyTalk! :welcome2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LindsaySF

Welcome! :wave

I agree about contacting the original group and letting them know, exactly as you explained to us. That way they know the dog is safe and you won't have to worry about it anymore. ;)

Guest KsFrets

Hello from Kansas! Jackie is BEEEEeeeaaaaautifulll!!! From my limited knowledge of adoption agencies, not only are you a dream come true for them, but I'm sure they would love to hear your story and would thank you greatly for what you've done for Jackie. I would make it official and they could possibly offer you more info on Jackies history and help in making contacts.

Hello, welcome, and congratulations! I agree that the adoption group should be thrilled that you've given Jackie a loving home and should welcome you into their fold if you have the desire to become a volunteer.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations on your beautiful girl, and welcome aboard! Looks like Jackie has landed where she's supposed to be, and don't be surprised if a couple months down the road she starts playing with all those toys. Sometimes it just takes them a while before the silly side starts to show.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone :).

Her old owners actually gave me all her adoption stuff (which is why I know what the contract said) including a CD with most of her races. She was a speedy little thing! I don't think she was ever unsafe or anything...my coworker had planned on contacting the adoption agency except that we wanted her so badly. We live in Maryland though and the adoption was from Florida which was part of why my co-worker was glad to give her to us.

Along with the CD the adoption package also listed her old kennel name and included her racing record and who owned her. I've found out who they are but I didn't want to say anything unless I was sure of the reaction. I'm feeling a little braver about it now :). I'll probably call the adoption agency Monday and ask them a hypothetical question and gauge their reaction.

Thanks again for the welcomes and also the reassurances!

Cathy

Blank 500 x 150.jpg

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Sounds like she has found just the right home now. :welcome

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)