Please, Some Reassurance?

Guest UndefinedAli

Guest UndefinedAli

So Bullie is big and tall and 9 and a half years old. He limps off and on, and we've watched it and made sure it stopped. We always chalk it up to sore feets (he doesn't like cold) or sleeping on things funny - he loves to either curl up tight or sleep in the "splayed chicken wing" position.

This morning when he got up, he was limping pretty badly. It hasn't gotten any better throughout the day, quite the opposite. We've nothing in the house for dog pain, and can't call this an emergency, so we're stuck here watching him in pain. He's upset that we won't let him up stairs, but too bad. I'm sure up would be fine, but he's already makes me nervous when he comes down, so we're not letting him do it without a hand on his collar.

I wouldn't be so scared except for a couple of things. His age, for one, and how skittish he can be when he's startled. We have to watch Drive and Lanie around him, since they're pushy and make him slip on all the uncarpeted floors. Also, something I've noticed about him: if you feel his ribs - which are very easy to feel in spite of our fattening efforts - they're not smooth. :unsure It's not like he has lumps on them, it's like the bones themselves are lumpy and uneven. It's been making me nervous, but we were going to take him to the vet when we take Lanie for her regular check-up, in a few weeks. What could cause that? It's not a mass under the skin or over the rib, it's the bone itself or something like it, and completely immobile. If he's still limping, he goes to the vet Monday if they can get us in.

He didn't hurt himself. He got up this morning when we asked if he wanted to go out, and that was it. He'll put a little weight on it, but he's panting and uncomfortable and the limp is pronounced. So tell me this could very well be nothing, please. We haven't even had our old guy for a year, y'know?

I would definintely not wait the few weeks and regardless, I would get an appointment for Monday. He should not have to wait if he is in pain and if he is limping, he is in pain.

Being that you did not report any kind of history, I would like to see a set of x-rays done to start ruling out things.

Please get him in to be seen.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest UndefinedAli
I would definintely not wait the few weeks and regardless, I would get an appointment for Monday. He should not have to wait if he is in pain and if he is limping, he is in pain.

Being that you did not report any kind of history, I would like to see a set of x-rays done to start ruling out things.

Please get him in to be seen.

Yeah, we've pretty much decided he should be seen as soon as we can get him in, and our vet is lovely. They'll squeeze him in if he's sore. I didn't report a history because we just don't have one. We got him as a result of his previous owner being, let's say, incapacitated. We do know that before he was repo'd by the rescue, he hadn't been to a vet in a few years. I hate that he's hurting and hate that we haven't got anything in the house for it.

Thanks. I know you've dealt with scary limps, too.

Guest greytfulhounds

If he is panting and uncomfortable he is in pain and I think I would call that an emergency. :huh Do you have an e-vet close by? At the very least does your vet have an answering service or monitor their messages over a weekend and maybe they could call a pain med into your local pharmacy?

Regarding the rib bumpiness, I think you are feeling regular bone. Gracie has a some that feel odd at the ends. Vet said it was not unusual.

With Bullie's limp and panting, I think he should see the vet Monday. Excessive panting can = pain. Keep an eye on his temperature. Could he possibly have slipped when outside or has he run too much lately?

Hope he's just got some normal aches and arthritis.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest HeatherDemps

If he's in pain now, I wouldn't even wait until Monday... as the previous poster asked- does your vet have someone on call over the weekend you can page? They can get him started on something to help ease his pain and then get him in for x-rays on Monday.

Good luck and definitely keep us posted....

I would get him in for x-rays on Monday. Also get some pain medicine for him. At his age he will have some general aches and pains that pain medicine can help. I purchase my senior kids Tramadol at Wal-Mart. My vet also has me give Rimadyl as each medicine helps with a different type of pain.

Have an x-ray now and again in a few weeks to a month. Sometimes you will see a big change. Hopefully not.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest boondog
Regarding the rib bumpiness, I think you are feeling regular bone. Gracie has a some that feel odd at the ends. Vet said it was not unusual.

Dillon has the same thing. Her ribs are not smooth, particularly at the ends. My vet also said it's common. I just wanted to reassure you that his ribs are probably fine. I'm glad you're taking him in ASAP for the limp.

Another thought-- call your gh group and ask around who might have rimydal or deramaxx for him to get him through to Monday.

I hate to think of him suffering without any relief.

Please let us know. Prayers for a simple sprain.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Bullie needs to be seen by a good vet for a thorough examination with manipulation and x-rays. The "bumps" on the ribs are likely normal, but the limp could be very serious. Greyhounds tend to be very stoic and not cry out unless the pain is bad, but the limping and panting is telling you he is in pain, and I would consider that an emergency.

I would not borrow any Rymadyl or any other pain med, they may mask the pain and make it more difficult for an accurate exam. I hope Bullie gets treatment and feels better soon.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest UndefinedAli

Bullie slept comfortably all night and does seem much improved this morning, though he's still limping. Of course we aren't going to wait and I'll be calling the vet Monday to make appointments, so he can be seen. Even if he's "only" arthritic or sprained, he should get whatever relief we can get him. We're also keeping him off the stairs unless one of us is holding on to him.

I do feel like I have to defend myself for not considering this an emergency. I can tell the difference between some pain and real terrible suffering. My standards for "Should I take him in?" are the same for my dogs as they are for the child I gave birth to, and I'm not a bad mom for wanting to wait and see. We do have financial constraints, unfortunately, but that's not what made us stay home last night. Just in case he got worse, I had the numbers of the nearest e-vets handy and we were perfectly willing to load up credit cards in needed.

Last week, I took Lanie in for not bothering to eat or drink or get up, for being whiny and lethargic and just not herself. You know what was wrong with her? Absolutely nothing. She ate cookies out of the vet's hand and wagged at him; I don't regret the money spent for piece of mind, even though she was just apparently having a bad day.

I appreciate everyone's advice. Making Bull's bed extra mooshy and keeping the room extra warm seems to have helped him tremendously, and he'll get to the vet for their next regular appointment, which will be tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm sure.

I hope Bull is only suffering from a bout of arthritis. He is such a good boy and I know you are taking good care of him. :heart The rib thing is probably something very normal Birdie's ribs are bumpy on the ends of the outer ribs.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Do you think the impending snow storm might be making him feel more arthritic than usual? Hoping that it's just that and not anything more serious.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest UndefinedAli
I hope Bull is only suffering from a bout of arthritis. He is such a good boy and I know you are taking good care of him. :heart The rib thing is probably something very normal Birdie's ribs are bumpy on the ends of the outer ribs.

Thanks, Liz, that means a lot to me. You know how hard and quick we fell for this guy - you know, the one we were going to foster for a couple weeks? :blush I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious. Thinking of you and your boy. Please keep us posted. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Bullie slept comfortably all night and does seem much improved this morning, though he's still limping. Of course we aren't going to wait and I'll be calling the vet Monday to make appointments, so he can be seen. Even if he's "only" arthritic or sprained, he should get whatever relief we can get him. We're also keeping him off the stairs unless one of us is holding on to him.

I do feel like I have to defend myself for not considering this an emergency. I can tell the difference between some pain and real terrible suffering. My standards for "Should I take him in?" are the same for my dogs as they are for the child I gave birth to, and I'm not a bad mom for wanting to wait and see. We do have financial constraints, unfortunately, but that's not what made us stay home last night. Just in case he got worse, I had the numbers of the nearest e-vets handy and we were perfectly willing to load up credit cards in needed.

Last week, I took Lanie in for not bothering to eat or drink or get up, for being whiny and lethargic and just not herself. You know what was wrong with her? Absolutely nothing. She ate cookies out of the vet's hand and wagged at him; I don't regret the money spent for piece of mind, even though she was just apparently having a bad day.

I appreciate everyone's advice. Making Bull's bed extra mooshy and keeping the room extra warm seems to have helped him tremendously, and he'll get to the vet for their next regular appointment, which will be tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm sure.

I don't feel you need to defend yourself. We've been there, too. And unless the pain was cause by a fall or something like that, restricting his activity is not a bad course of action if you are financially constrained. Obviously, if you had access to some sort of pain reliever, that would be better, but what you are doing sounds perfectly understandable to me. You'll know whether he needs more than observation/activity restriction. You know your dog. I agree, this does not sound like an emergency, and I would not be able to justify the money it takes to get a dog into an E-vet, either.

As long as you get him in early in the week, there's nothing to worry about, in the sense of making it worse.

As far as the bumpy ribs, like everyone else said, it's probably normal. My old guy, Gunnar, had this too. He was 9 when we adopted him, and we assumed it was ribs that had been broken in some way. We mentioned it to the vet when we took him in the first time, and the vet said it was just the way he was constructed. Well, that's good, at least!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.