Teddy's 1st Acupuncture Appointment Today.

RobinM

Recap:

Teddy was limping a bit, gail off. He was also holding up both paws intermittently. Had X-Rays done which showed disk issue.

Vet suggested holistic.

Had consult 2 weeks ago. She needed to see actual pictures and wanted current bllod, urine and stool samples. She also wanted a full TBD panel run.

We did all that and today is our first actual acupuncture appointment.

For those who have expereinced this with they hounds, what was it like? What can I expect?

What was your greys reaction?

I was told I would need to hold him still. She said that some dogs relax to the point of falling asleep.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Most of mine are needled laying down. The only one who was done standing up was Magic--I had to keep her from walking :rolleyes::lol

He'll sleep well afterwards :)

The only time I've had them resist a bit was the needle in the tip of the tail (that's only been done twice in all the times) and occassionally a little ouchy in some of the joints but it passes quickly. Needles in the head & back have produced no response in mine.

Watch the needles. It's interesting to see how some of them are pulled in--you can tell where the problems are!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Both John E and Brandy stood for their entire sessions. You have to make sure that they don't shake the needles out. I was told that both would get very sleepy afterwards, but they really didn't.

What is important is that both were helped by the acupuncture treatments. The acupuncturist was the one who found that Brandy was holding fluid in her abdomen. :(

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Mickey has her treatment lying down, she quickly figured the doctor was a bit leery when she would give out a bit of a yelp in a tender spot. Then she would play it up and yelp whenever he would get close wether touching her or not. He now knows it is all an act. She does wear her muzzle while getting treated, my decsion, but gets along fine, some times you can tell she is past due for a treatment as the needles stay in place a long time, others, they seem to release in no time. Usually she will just lay there with her head in Moms lap and afterwards she takes a nice nap on the drive home.

Angel Sophia was very calm and slept through much of her treatment. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sugar lays down for hers. They provide a blanket, but I bring an extra quilted meet & greet mat for her old bones :) The vet said she's had a few dogs who prefer to stand, but most lie down, she leaves it up to the dog. The first time, Sugar got a little restless towards the end, now she justs lays there, about half asleep.

The vet says she has done cats, rabbits and ferrets as well :blink: can't imagine any of them just lying there!

Guest LolasMom

Both my pups got acupuncture laying down. Usually they both rested during the session. Occasionally the vet would hit a tender spot when putting the needles in and they'd jump a bit but quickly settle back.

It was funny, one of my babies had this habit of getting a little itch on her back leg when her body had had enough. It was in the same spot every week. If we left the needles in passed that point, the next day she'd sleep all day long - if we took them out before the itch or when she gave that signal, the next day she acted like a 3 year old. It didn't matter where we where treating, the itch spot stayed the same. :P

For us acupuncture worked best done consistently. It definitely had a positive accumulative effect. :)

Edited by LolasMom

Guest grey_dreams

Zuki got an acupuncture treatment for the first time on Wednesday. During the treatmnet he was laying down and very relaxed. It was fantastic! I could tell he felt better right away.

My boy Chico was very timid. He shook so badly the needles would come out prematurely. After the first couple of visits she started injecting B12 at the pressure points in place of the needles. It accomplishes just about the same results.

Every other dog I've seen have the treatments just relaxes and almost goes to sleep.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Our bridge girlie had several accupuncture treatments for a degenerating disk in her neck which pressed on the nerves in her spine causing her pain. She had several treatments and came home a different dog after each treatment except for one. The one treatment which was less successful was only because she was a very skittish grey to begin with. We went in and got comfortable and relaxed, but there was a very big, loud dog banging on the wall in the room next to us which made her really uneasy. She was on edge the whole time which made for a stressful session for her all around.

Be sure your vet takes the extra measure to make it a nice relaxing atmosphere. We went into the back where the empty kennels were as it was nice and quiet back there. The vet had a nice cushy pad, but I took along our heavy fleecy crate mats too. I laid down on the floor with her, got her comfortable and soothed before treatment began. Eleven needles were used.....the calming needle in the forehead, several down both sides of the neck. One in each front paw right at the dewclaw joint and I believe one each near her back knees. The needles along the neck and dewclaws were electrifieid at varying frequencies to enhance circulation. The specific placing of the needles were to relax and open the chi channels for healing.

After treatment which was nearly a half hour of actually being connected, small vitamin B shots were placed into the knee joints and in between specific toes on the front and rear paws. She was then placed on Corydalis which is a holistic med which was supposed to help increase circulation and healing in a natural way while also serving as a muscle relaxant.

Our girlie came home very sleepy after treatments and when I bent over her for hugs she just felt much more "pliable" if thats an accurate description. She was so very relaxed and I could tell that just by a full body hug.

I highly recommend accupuncture for pain management and disk issues. I also think the overall atmosphere is a big help too. We were so very relaxed through the whole treatment that she did indeed want to fall asleep during them, but was always wary for any noises at the same time; it was just her inherent skittishness. Also be careful not to convey your own emotions if you yourself do not like needles. Your grey can pick up on that feeling too.

Good luck with the disk issue. Stay ahead of the pain and Teddy will do better overall. One more thing we found out (but the vet did not agree) was that rawhides aggrivated her condition. I swore that for several days after she had a chewie, she could not give me a decent head shake. The constant chewing hurt her so she did not get them anymore. It probably took three episodes of chewie/pain before enough was enough and the connection was clear.

Recap:

Teddy was limping a bit, gail off. He was also holding up both paws intermittently. Had X-Rays done which showed disk issue.

Vet suggested holistic.

Had consult 2 weeks ago. She needed to see actual pictures and wanted current bllod, urine and stool samples. She also wanted a full TBD panel run.

We did all that and today is our first actual acupuncture appointment.

For those who have expereinced this with they hounds, what was it like? What can I expect?

What was your greys reaction?

I was told I would need to hold him still. She said that some dogs relax to the point of falling asleep.

OY-- My Teddy is so neutoic.

First off, I had to get help carrying this 82 pound hound into the office. Then he aclimated to the waiting room and it was another issue getting him into the treatment room.

He was so stressed. She thought his gait looked better and he had better mobility in his neck than 2 weeks ago. Who knows, maybe the supplements he is taking are helping???

So, she said she would do a light session of pins for just 12 minutes instead of 30. She put 4 pins by the ankle, 3 in the head and one by the spine. The one by the spine popped out and didn't seem to want to stay.

Teddy was on high alert, stressed to the max and either pacing for standing by the door hoping magically it would open so he could bolt. We have our next appointment next week. I sat on the floor trying to get him to relax. She had blankets down for his comfort, but he would have no part of relaxing.

Since we've been home, he's been awake... I have the weirdest greyhounds....

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I've never tried acupuncture on dogs, but have tried it with my horse... My friends horse gets regular acupuncture treatments. He just stands there, head hanging down, falling asleep. My horse - total lunatic! The vet could only get in one needle before my mare ripped the lead rope from my hand and bolted down the barn aisle. I haven't tried it since.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest LolasMom
OY-- My Teddy is so neutoic.

First off, I had to get help carrying this 82 pound hound into the office. Then he aclimated to the waiting room and it was another issue getting him into the treatment room.

He was so stressed. She thought his gait looked better and he had better mobility in his neck than 2 weeks ago. Who knows, maybe the supplements he is taking are helping???

So, she said she would do a light session of pins for just 12 minutes instead of 30. She put 4 pins by the ankle, 3 in the head and one by the spine. The one by the spine popped out and didn't seem to want to stay.

Teddy was on high alert, stressed to the max and either pacing for standing by the door hoping magically it would open so he could bolt. We have our next appointment next week. I sat on the floor trying to get him to relax. She had blankets down for his comfort, but he would have no part of relaxing.

Since we've been home, he's been awake... I have the weirdest greyhounds....

Not weird really. Everything must be so strange to him getting pins stuck in you for the first time :yikes . Sometimes it takes a while for them to understand that nothing worse is going to happen and then it's smooth sailing from there. Maybe next time you can bring some of his favorite treats along...can't hurt. :P

Lots of times my pups had more energy after their treatments. Just depended what we were working on and how long the needles were left in.

Edited by LolasMom

[smooth sailing from there. Maybe next time you can bring some of his favorite treats along...can't hurt. :P

I DID bring his cookies along in a bag for him. He is majorly food motivated and the most food aggressive of my 4. I NEVER thought I'd see the day where I'd ask if he wanted a cookie and he would turn away. THAT was upsetting.

Next week is going to be much better... or much worse... :huh

My poor T!

Aaww, poor Teddy... :( give him a hug from me... I hope the next session is better!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.