Any Advice Please!

Guest ladyjay

Guest ladyjay

It is through tears that I am writing now. My beautiful greyhound Pebbles, who I adopted when she was 20 months old, and who is supposed to be turning 14 years old this March, was diagnosed one week ago with bone cancer (osteosarcoma.)

My vet originally said she has somewhere between three weeks and three months before I have to do the unthinkable. I brought her to an oncologist, at which time we learned Pebbles' cancer has spread to her lungs.

I am so heartbroken and can't stop crying. I'm so sorry to be so dramatic, but Pebbles is my heart - I love her so much. She is taking rimadyl for the inflammation and tramadol for pain right now.

I am feeding her Science Diet n/d for cancer, and will be starting her on K9 immunity on Friday when it arrives (I ordered it yesterday after much research and talking to my vet.) I know I can't cure her cancer, but I am hoping for some advice on what I can do to keep her feeling good as long as possible. I met someone recently whose greyhound was diagnosed in July with cancer of the lymph nodes and the vet predicted the greyhound only had about 2 weeks, but here 6 months later, the family still has their greyhound.

As of right now, she is still eating and drinking a lot, is still happy to see me and wants tons of attention, but she has a limp that sometimes is not so bad and other times is worse.

Has anyone had any luck with K9 immunity or anything else?

I will appreciate ANY advice - conventional or hollistic, or even advice for me on how to cope.

Thanks!!!!

Guest IrskasMom

I am so so sorry . I really don't have any advice . My Heart is breaking with yours , having gone through

this once before . The only Comfort , she had a wonderful Life with you . Hugs to you and Pepples .

:bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry to hear this. I would suggest you join the yahoo group Circle of Grey, they are very supportive.

Some people have have some success with Artesmin, perhaps they will see your post and chime in.

I've lost one to OS and another to a different type of cancer, I know how you feel....

Hugs to you and Pebbles

Very sorry to hear about your Pebbles.

A week or two ago, Dr. Stack (one of the 'go-to' vets for greyhounds) mentioned how her own greyhound, at the age of 9, has survived 4 years post-amp. While amputation is almost certainly not an option for a 14 yo greyhound, she notes in her treatment the following:

"1 year post-amputation, I started him on 10 mg tamoxifen once daily.

Tamoxifen is the anti-estrogen drug that breast cancer survivors take

for the rest of their lives. Anecdotally, tamoxifen may be an

anti-angiogenesis drug (a drug that stops new blood vessels from

branching out from tumors). Tamoxifen can have some problems in girl

dogs but is OK for boys. Not approved nor or you likely to be able to

find out much of anything about it. I just started Aus on it because a

friend's boy osteo grey was started on it by Dr. Ogilvie (ex CSU

oncology guru). I figured if it's good enough for Dr. Ogilvie, it's

good enough for me."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I have no medical advice. I'm so sorry for the news. :cry1 Try to focus on the 13 fabulous years you've had with Pebbles, and when you're cuddling with her, remind her of those wonderful times. She's a lucky girl to have you! Enjoy every moment you have with her, whether it's 3 weeks or 3 years.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest RooRoo

You're not being dramatic... this is your baby and you have every "right" to express your deepest fears and sorrow. You will do the best as her Mom and Pebbles will live out whatever time she has left loved and cared for with all your heart and soul; and that will get you through this too. Visit Circle of Grey and here on GTalk - we truly understand and care

Good luck to you :grouphug

Guest chigal950

Having been through this myself, my heart aches for you. Unfortunately as you already know, every passing minute now you are on borrowed time. Cherish your little baby every moment that you have with her, and prepare yourself. I am sorry, and hope that you continue to have some very special time left with her.

Guest HeatherDemps

I am so sorry that you are going through this and wish there was something to say that would make this all better. You are not being dramatic at all and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I can't tell you exactly how to get through this but can tell you what I have done so far...

A week and a half ago, x-rays showed that my greyhound has a bone lesion on his right shoulder. He will be 12 in March. He is on the same meds as your girl and so far, showing no signs of pain, etc. On Friday, we are going in for tests to confirm if it is osteosarcoma. if it is, we are leaning toward amputation and chemo (the oncologist tells us that age is not a disease!) but will have to make sure that he is healthy enough otherwise for it to be an option.

The first few days, I was in complete shock and cried a lot. I couldn't read about the disease or talk about it without thinking it's so unfair and then getting myself more and more upset. After a few days, I was able to start reading more about cancer and the different options. I still cry but not quite as often and focus more on keeping Dempsey well and happy. He truly has no idea what is going on but does know when I'm a wreck and crying. I've tried to spend more time with him and focus on the little things with him rather than getting caught up with the day to day things I need to do that aren't related to him. .. I'm taking lots of pictures and I figured out how to use the video camera on my cell phone. I joined Circle of Grey and also talk to good friends who love pets and realize how important they are and what a difficult time this is.

If amputation turns out not to be an option for us, I will take some time off from work to be with him even more and cherish each moment before I have to put him to sleep. I think I am even more afraid of his leg fracturing than I am of the cancer, and will try to have the courage to make the choice before it gets to that point.

All I can do is acknowledge that what you are going through is terrible and I'm very sorry you are in this situation. I will say a prayer for you and Pebbles.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

OSA is very painful. You may need additional drugs to keep her comfortable. Find out the max dosing for the tramadol is. My Alex was on Rimadyl and Tramadol. When we maxed out the dose for Tramadol and he was still in pain, we added Neurotin. The Neurotin made a big difference.

regarding tamoxifen: It's the first I've heard of it being used for OSA. Breast cancer patients take it for a maximum of 5 years, not for life. Tamoxifen increases the chances of uterine cancer in women. Probably not an issue for a spayed dog.

Guest TBSFlame

I am so very sorry you are going through this. I hate osteo!! I lost my first greyhound to osteo. It was also in his lungs when we discovered it. Just try and control the pain as best you can. We adopted Beecher only three weeks after losing our Hawk and now 8 years later we are going through it again with Beecher. His osteo tumor is on his ribs. I started out trying to really control his diet but the one thing Beecher loves more than his rest time is food. Food of anykind. I find I am giving him anything he wants. I too cried a lot and didn't want to think about it but Beecher helped me to see that he is okay. I was eating a banana and he was trying to get a bite. He loves bananas. It came to me that my Beecher was not concerned about anything but getting a bite of that banana. He was living in the moment. That was the turning point for me. We are now trying to live in the moment. We love him and he loves us. When he looks at me with those loving eyes, wanting whatever I am eating, I am going to give it to him.

Guest twilliams

I am so sorry. I wish I had magic words for you. We just lost our beloved boy to lymphoma. It is very tough when you get the diagnosis. My heart goes out to you. I ranted, raved, and cried for days. Then I started to learn as much as I could about lymphoma and our options. We simply tried to do the best we could each day. We spoiled Skipper in every way we could and tried to make each day special for him. Circle of Grey is a great group to join. There you will find much help and support. Good luck to you and Pebbles.

I'm sorry to hear the news. Because it has spread, she is not a candidate for more than making her last days enjoyable which you know.

Several things: if possible, I'd combine tramadol with another med besides an NSAID. If you must use rimadyl, watch her stomach very closely and have blood work done in 2 weeks the first time to check her platelets and kidneys.

Transfer factor is a good immune builder and may help.

Feed her what she enjoys and get her off the SD. I'd go to a no carb, lower fat like EVO reduced fat or CORE reduced fat because of her age. Or, any food not real high in fat she enjoys.

Sending prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Feed her what she enjoys and get her off the SD. I'd go to a no carb, lower fat like EVO reduced fat or CORE reduced fat because of her age.

The Science Diet n/d food is a very high protein, low carb food -- more so than CORE. Not what you usually think of as being Science Diet :) .

I'm sorry you and your pupper are going through this. Sending many hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. Not been through osteo... no advice to give. Just want to send hugs... :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest luluaz

Tell yourself this:

It's OK to cry, this is my heart girl

Now, take a deep breath after that cry and make yourself and your darling comfortable, you have some special days ahead of you-

Days to eat French Vanilla Ice Cream and T-bone steak

Days to romp in the cold or roll in the winter grass

Days to kiss her nose and scritch her favorite places

Days to fall into those eyes of hers

and finally, the day you have to give her back, sending her most lovingly to the rainbow bridge.

I pray you have many more wonderful days together before that day :f_white

The advise you've received on meds is excellent, and there are many here on GT that will help answer any ongoing questions.

I wish they could stay forever young.....

Lisa

An osteo diagnosis is heartbreaking, so please never feel that you are being over dramatic. I'd say that crying is the first stage---well, maybe after the shock. We know what you're going through. Too many of us have gotten that devastating news, and made the decision that was best for our precious Greys, and for ourselves. It is the same fight, just different ways of doing what we can. With Pebbles age, and the fact that it has spread to her lungs, you are right to do palliative treatment. If she likes steak, I'd let her eat steak---the low carb, high protein is good. Fish oil is a good immune system booster too. I would second the suggestion of artemisinin---it's natural, and for osteo, couldn't hurt. I'm not sure if at this stage, you would get the same results as if it were started before the osteo progressed, but it's worth a try because it does help fight cancer cells. My Winnie was on it for 3 years! And she was put to sleep because of kidney failure, not the osteo. Like I always say (perhaps too much)---cancer is a crapshoot. You just never know how fast or how far it is going to progress. You just need to do what you believe in your heart is right for you and Pebbles. And that includes knowing when to say good-bye. She will likely let you know. Listen to your precious girl, and make the decision based on whether or not she is suffering. You know that your time will be finite, and knowing this, you are able to devote yourself to making that time together as meaningful as possible. Remember that they live in the moment---they don't worry about the future sadness, but simply know that they are loved and safe NOW because we have assured them of that. Don't let the sadness steal away the precious time that you are sharing each day.

Sending prayers and white light.

ETA Lisa, that was a simply beautiful post!

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Tell yourself this:

It's OK to cry, this is my heart girl

Now, take a deep breath after that cry and make yourself and your darling comfortable, you have some special days ahead of you-

Days to eat French Vanilla Ice Cream and T-bone steak

Days to romp in the cold or roll in the winter grass

Days to kiss her nose and scritch her favorite places

Days to fall into those eyes of hers

and finally, the day you have to give her back, sending her most lovingly to the rainbow bridge.

I pray you have many more wonderful days together before that day :f_white

The advise you've received on meds is excellent, and there are many here on GT that will help answer any ongoing questions.

I wish they could stay forever young.....

Lisa

Oh Lisa...your post says it all.

Sending my many prayers during this most sad and difficult time. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It really is a total crap shoot as to how much time you can expect. I've known a grey who was "given" 6 weeks and was still around 18 months later. My vet told me Argus had maybe 4 months and he was gone 2 weeks later. I think it very much depends on the individual dog and how well they tolerate pain/how well you are able to manage the pain. Argus had a very low pain threshold and I was unable to keep him comfortable even with enough narcotics to bowl over an elephant. Like your pup, the cancer was in his lungs and he was not a candidate for amputation.

I'm sorry for you and for Pebbles, and hope that you have many more pain-free and happy days together.

ETA: Recently found out that the hound that made it for much longer than expected was on an herb called Arteminisin. Do a search for it on the board and you'll find out a lot about it.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg