Desiree 1996-2007

Guest adriahna

Guest adriahna

A truly beautiful soul is finally at total peace, surrounded by the profound sort of love known only in heaven.

My Desiree - my inspiration, dear friend, soul sister and spitfire - passed away in complete peace on December 29th - on exactly her fourth anniversary of coming into my life. I am so happy to say that she was embraced in utter love and support leading up to that moment - sleeping peacefully with me at one side, my dear, loving Justin at her other - she placed herself between us, and seemed to take on the role of comforter, in her generous way. We provided her and her brother Brick with a delicious meal, and she thankfully drank ice water through the night, licking Justin's face sweetly in her way of showing gratitude. Sleep among us all was calm, and she faced her last morning so bravely. The process of her euthanasia went as gracefully as could be - she was in no pain, and so calm that her initial sedative seemed unnecessary. I lulled and whispered to her, stroking her beautiful face, thanking her for all of the wonder and love that she brought into my life, and will continue to. I told her gently of the many people and animals who eagerly awaited her - in a new life without pain, and freedom to run and play always. Soon after, her euthanasia was administered, and she faded peacefully, into her journey toward complete happiness and love. Justin and I wept for ourselves - both of us understood entirely that she was ready to be set free, and accepting wholly what was waiting for her. I have never seen a creature embrace death as openly and warmly as she did, and I cannot begin to express how proud I was, and am, of her.

Desiree had been having difficulties with her digestive system over the last few months - diarrhea, weight loss, lethargy, and increasing listlessness. After panels, blood tests, diagnostics and runs of medications, it took Justin's notice of her enlarged belly to open up my eyes - it had happened so fast (in the course of perhaps one or two weeks), that I hadn't quite noticed it. Truthfully, I felt that her belly was distended because of her weight loss and digestive problems - it wasn't like bloat - but there, and growing. And so, I took her to the vet. An x-ray was taken, and a large mass was found in her belly, surrounded by fluids throughout the digestive area. Initially, I had scheduled an ultrasound for the following day, but as the evening and night drew on, and her condition became clear to me, I felt that her visit would have to take a different direction. When morning arrived, Desiree was panting and showing slight signs of discomfort. She quietly was telling me that it was her time. Her vet's advice had helped to solidify the matter for me, as well - Desiree's age, and overall condition, were not conducive to surgery and subsequent treatments for a cancerous condition - surgery alone with anaesthesia would have put her at risk. I did not wish for her to suffer, so that I could claim more time with her. She deserved better than that - comfort and dignity were all that mattered now. I am grateful to have been able to give her both.

Desiree was, like all, a deeply loved, very special greyhound. She stepped into my life at seven years of age, and took over my heart in so many ways. She was the inspiration behind the Greyhound Benefit Store, and the drawings I have done revolving around her place in my life will continue to raise funds for greyhound adoption groups, as well as the Morris Animal Foundation's fight against canine cancers. She taught me a more complete sense of love and grace - her role in my life is beyond measure. With her beautiful, wide eyes and soft fawn fur, she made so many dear friends all on her own - she will be missed immeasurably, and by so very many people and animals. Posing dramatically, air-snapping when impatient, snuggling on the sofa, keeping her brother Brick in check, hiding snacks and enjoying belly rubs - that was my Desiree. Loving in life and graceful in death, she will always be a part of me - and of so many who had the pleasure of meeting and knowing her.

Thank you for everything, my sweet, beautiful girl - I know that heaven has welcomed you with much enthusiasm.

Desiree's Greyhound-Data page: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=5Fm1im&a...amp;x=0&y=0

Edited by adriahna

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IndysDad

A lovely and touching tribute for a well loved hound...

My sincere condolences and thank you for sharing her life with us...

Run free sweetheart, and send your mom and dad a sign when you get to the Bridge

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :cry1 What a loving tribute to her... and such a rich legacy she leaves with you. She's free now from a failing body, able to take her place with the angels and run like the wind to her heart's delight. May you always feel her loving spirit with you in your heart space. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry :grouphug With Desiree's bright twinkling star shinning down on you, may your memories help heal your aching heart.

Godspeed Desiree :f_pink

Edited by vahoundlover

I'm sorry.

Godspeed, beautiful beloved girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest adriahna

Thank you so very much, everyone. Your outpouring of love has been no surprise, of course - but still I am overwhelmed. This all means so much to us - you all are comforting on so many levels.

Desiree's illness and passing was exactly the same as our sweet Brandy. I have come to realize that these dear pets acknowledge their limits and welcome the time to rest.

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that your girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Words & pictures cannot do this little girl justice. I was privileged with the opportunity to meet her once & she could only be described as striking. A breath-taking blend of rich honey & cream, with the largest chocolate brown eyes you ever saw. There was a gentleness & sweetness about her that you could only experience in person, & the way she looked at me, I was putty in her paws.

Lots of hugs & love for you & you family. f_yellow