Tramadol Dose Question Resolved:update Post 38

Guest greytmonty

Oh Monty...I hope you heal quickly! NO MORE VET VISITS. If you want to see the vet, jsut ask. I'm sure your mom would be happy to stop in for a quick hello. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Tenderhearts
Oh Monty...I hope you heal quickly! NO MORE VET VISITS. If you want to see the vet, jsut ask. I'm sure your mom would be happy to stop in for a quick hello. :)
^Co-signed! :rolleyes:

Randy says make sure to milk it good for extra treats, okay? :D

oh Karen, I just saw this. Hope he heals quickly and is comfortable. I've been through the gambit with the leg injuries and wish you only fast healing, good comforting thoughts for Monty.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

Monty has been limping MORE AND MORE on the bandaged foot. Mark and I took off the bandage today. Monty was crying and shaking and growling in a low way, it was so painful. There was brown seepage on the white bandage and his foot and leg are hot, red, and swollen. I have a call into the vet. It looks like an infection to me. Must not have been a fracture, must be an injury or puncture wound. He is bearing no weight and shaking from pain. :weep

Guest greytmonty

Our vet will see Monty at 1:30 today.

My son, who is 10 and has no veterinary training, showed me a huge cut between the paw pads that is weepy and raw looking.

That must be where the original injury from the fun run was, and I assume when the vet saw him it was a small puncture or something that now is big and infected.

Thanks to Sam we can at least see the problem.

Monty's whole leg from the "knee" down (I hope you know what I mean) is huge and swollen. He definitely must have an infection.

AUGH.

I am assuming, I should say hoping, this will be easy to treat.

:unsure

Edited by greytmonty

Good grief, Karen, you guys just don't get a break! Hoping Monty will be on all 4s again soon!

BTW, I think I'd x-ray, just in case there is a fracture.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You had better put that boy in a bubble. :rolleyes:

If you hadn't noticed the web cut, I would say, maybe, the bandage was too tight and caused the swelling. That happened to Brandy once. I am sure if they put him on antibiotic, he will do fine.

Good thoughts and white light for your Monty.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytmonty

Back from the vet. She did an exam and x rays. Some tiny bone chip seen on the xray that may have been part of the problem, but she also suspects a foreign body which is now not obvious. He has a severe cellulitis and will be on Cephaxelin along with pain meds. No bandages, as the bandage clearly caused a lot of swelling and edema.

He was so good, he didn't growl or cry even tho' it is very painful.

Pics here plus a gratuitous pj shot!

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

Sending a kiss for your tender tootsies Monty. :kiss2

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Monty Monty Monty, enough already!

Feel better soon. Hugs to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Poor baby, hopefully now that it's cleaned up he'll start to mend.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greyrep

Reference Monty's swollen foot - I have subscribed to the list but I'm not a regular reader; however, a friend sent me an e-mail knowing that I have a male Grey who is going through the same thing Monty is. That is, a couple of months ago we suspected a spider bite and it turned ugly real fast. Foot, toes and swollen up to knee which in my dog's case is not a good thing. He injured his knee and has had surgery which left him crippled. His hind leg is frozen at the *knee* joint. I adopted him in September, knowing he had this condition. But what I didn't know was that it is probably going to be a chronic, on-going thing with him. When his swelling is active he takes 1 1/2 tabs of 50 mg Tramadol twice a day, and 50 mg of Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he can't take more than 50 mg of Rimadyl without getting diarrhea. Rex had severe cellulitis and we were doing the warm water massage with a hose. Now it's too cold to do that outdoors, and my vet has referred us to a place in Chattanooga (it's actually staffed by folks from UTK Vet School who rotate monthly) to try physical therapy with Rex. Rex is losing muscle mass and his hip bone has no fat or muscle pad on it at all, because he doesn't use his leg much. He uses his hind leg as a crutch. I hope that this is a one time thing for Monty, but everything you are doing is the same thing recommended by my vet. The first time this happened, Rex's leg was so swollen I thought the skin was going to tear. He was taking a high-power antibiotic that I can't remember the name of other than it started with a Z as I remember. My vet had said it was the strongest antibiotic they had. So here we are in December and there has been another re-occurence of swelling. In this case, my vet thinks that there is neuropathy and a compromised circulatory problem due to the original injury or the surgery itself.

Thinking of you and wishing you much luck in dealing with Monty. Do let me know how he does. I really hope this is a one time thing for him.

Linda B

Rocky Face, GA

Edited by greyrep

Guest greytmonty
Reference Monty's swollen foot - I have subscribed to the list but I'm not a regular reader; however, a friend sent me an e-mail knowing that I have a male Grey who is going through the same thing Monty is. That is, a couple of months ago we suspected a spider bite and it turned ugly real fast. Foot, toes and swollen up to knee which in my dog's case is not a good thing. He injured his knee and has had surgery which left him crippled. His hind leg is frozen at the *knee* joint. I adopted him in September, knowing he had this condition. But what I didn't know was that it is probably going to be a chronic, on-going thing with him. When his swelling is active he takes 1 1/2 tabs of 50 mg Tramadol twice a day, and 50 mg of Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he can't take more than 50 mg of Rimadyl without getting diarrhea. Rex had severe cellulitis and we were doing the warm water massage with a hose. Now it's too cold to do that outdoors, and my vet has referred us to a place in Chattanooga (it's actually staffed by folks from UTK Vet School who rotate monthly) to try physical therapy with Rex. Rex is losing muscle mass and his hip bone has no fat or muscle pad on it at all, because he doesn't use his leg much. He uses his hind leg as a crutch. I hope that this is a one time thing for Monty, but everything you are doing is the same thing recommended by my vet. The first time this happened, Rex's leg was so swollen I thought the skin was going to tear. He was taking a high-power antibiotic that I can't remember the name of other than it started with a Z as I remember. My vet had said it was the strongest antibiotic they had. So here we are in December and there has been another re-occurence of swelling. In this case, my vet thinks that there is neuropathy and a compromised circulatory problem due to the original injury or the surgery itself.

Thinking of you and wishing you much luck in dealing with Monty. Do let me know how he does. I really hope this is a one time thing for him.

Linda B

Rocky Face, GA

Thanks Linda. We are fairly sure it was a foreign body and/or the bone chip as it happened right after running. The bandage when the vet thought it was a fracture exacerbated the swelling so now his leg is a mess. We are keeping it open. I will try the warm water, we can put him in the tub and he can at least get part of it immersed.

His leg looks so big and swollen, it is so painful.

Good luck with Rex. I am sorry he is having such problems.

Guest greyrep

Rex's will swell because of running. Unfortunately, he was a fast dog who had 205 races in his *career*, and he still loves to run, though he does a bunny-hop of sorts. He places both back feet together and then pushes off to run. We think that is what caused this current incident. It's pretty hard to keep him from running unless you leash walk or turn him out by himself. At our house, the Greys are usually in pursuit of my Whippet without much success. Danny is always about 2 feet ahead of them :rolleyes: