We're Off To Er-update Dec. 5th

Guest Tenderhearts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tenderhearts

I called the vet today with some concerns. He's definitely not back to 100%, which I was not worried about. He disappears for several hours at a time upstairs to nap, but that's expected too because it's quiet, and the dogs don't have access to the upstairs.

He is not eating well, which is a concern. He also left several small puddles in the kitchen while he was downstairs.

At this point, she says it's best to get him to eat even if it's canned, then switch over to the prescription food.

Understandably he's tender and sore from being catheterized, and the catheter didn't come out till yesterday morning at the clinic. She said it's not unusual for him to have accidents early on and not make it to the litterbox in time. It is good he is urinating.

She suggested giving it another 4-5 days for him to be 100%, and just make sure he eats and is urinating.

I'm going to have Amber pick up some canned food to mix in with the prescription food on her way home from the farm.

Hopefully that will encourage more eating :goodluck

Edited cuz eye kant spel :blink::P

Edited by Tenderhearts

Guest Tenderhearts
I hope it is just a matter of time until he's back to 100%! If he needs encouragement to eat, a little grated parmesan sprinkled on top of the food worked wonders for Ethel, now known as Fat Girl :lol

Good idea! Thanks!

DeVon-adding parmesan cheese to Miss Amber's grocery list :D

When our Dalmatian was catheterized for surgery to remove crystals it took him about 5 days to regain control of his urinary tract - he would leak and sometimes just leave huge puddles before he could make it to the door. Eventually all went back to normal but he was a bit off for about a week. Poor little Riley, I hope he feels better soon. I'm glad he is back home with you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Tenderhearts
When our Dalmatian was catheterized for surgery to remove crystals it took him about 5 days to regain control of his urinary tract - he would leak and sometimes just leave huge puddles before he could make it to the door. Eventually all went back to normal but he was a bit off for about a week. Poor little Riley, I hope he feels better soon. I'm glad he is back home with you.

Thanks, that does make me feel better :)

He's leaking too as well as leaving puddles. I must remind myself it is good that the pee is coming out, albeit in puddles outside of the litterbox :)

My cat JJ had this problem several years ago. It took about a week for him to regain control and he's been on CD ever since without another problem, here's hoping your Riley boy follows the same path. And, your new vet sounds great!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest Tenderhearts
My cat JJ had this problem several years ago. It took about a week for him to regain control and he's been on CD ever since without another problem, here's hoping your Riley boy follows the same path. And, your new vet sounds great!

Glad to hear the C/D has been the ticket to keeping your boy healthy. That's my hope for Riley too!

I sent Amber off for goodies, including canned cat food, and that boy darned near ate a full can with great gusto tonight!!!!!!! He's even felt well enough to go nap on the back of the sofa this evening, as opposed to disappearing upstairs for sleepytime :)

How's Riley doing?

See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)

Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest Tenderhearts

He's MUCH improved today, a lot like his old self! :clap :clap He hasn't come running when I've popped the lid off the dry food for the other cats at meal times, so I've been keeping him on the canned.

This morning he showed up with the rest of the feline gang while I was filling dishes! :D

Now that he's voraciously eating the dry food, I'll make the switch to the C/D.

He's also darted in and out of the computer room several times while I was sitting here, and that's the Riley I know! :confetti :confetti

Excellent news!!!!!! Way to go Riley!

Guest Tenderhearts

He's definitely back to his old self. He just stuck his paw in the big water dish in the kitchen and pawed at the water till it sloshed over the side! <_<

Guest VelvetEars

We've had the same issues w/ 2 of our cats. Once had The Surgery, and the other almost died the one time he was plugged up (his brother had recovered from surgery so I switched to another cat food - BAD idea!). We only feed Purina One Urinary Tract formula cat food now, and we've not had another plugging up since then.