Goodby Duke (myakka Peyton)

Guest Becky

In 1999, after years of waiting for a fenced yard, we were able to adopt Sophie. We were told that she was a special placement, which we thought meant she was extra pretty. It turned out that her first adoptive home , the brother of the breeder, wasn’t very nice to her. She was unsure and sad. We were advised that it could take a year for a former racing greyhound’s personality to come out. After a year and then another, she was still very sad, rarely leaving her bed or showing enthusiasm. In 2002, we were ready to adopt another dog and we hoped it would perk up Sophie.

I saw a picture of Myakka Peyton on the internet and thought he was the best looking dog of all time. He was gorgeous, but looked sweet, too. Sheila and Greg agreed to bring him from Orlando even though we needed to leave town and couldn’t take him right away. They generously dog sat Myakka until we returned.

We had trouble naming our new dog. We couldn’t think of a name, but knew we didn’t want to yell “Peyton” from the back door. While listing all possible dog names, we discussed how royal he looked sitting on his dog bed. His posture was perfect, his head held high, so we named him Duke.

After adding Duke, Sophie’s personality totally changed. She perked up and was happy with her sidekick. We heard her bark for the fist time, and she earned her new nickname, scrappy.

Duke was always a pleasant dog. He was calm and gentle, but distant. He wanted to claim every door and laundry basket for his own, and peed on everything. It took some time for him to “come to an understanding” about the house rules on tinkeling. It also took Duke a while to learn how to enjoy a hug. Once he got the hang of getting scratched and petted, he would stand by guests as long as they would pet him.

For all of his regal-ness, beautiful posture and carriage, he was the worlds messiest eater. Our dog bowls were moved outside to accommodate his food-fight, Animal House style table manners. He was suspicious of vacuum cleaners and terrified by thunderstorms. A storm chased him to the comfort of his “safe place” between the coffee table and sofa. He hid under his magic blanket, that protected him from thunder.

Even with daily practice, he never mastered stairs.

Duke had a special way of entering the room. He had a high prance, like a Lipizzaner Stallion and a stride of purpose, like he was a few minutes late for an important meeting. We would be watching the television and he’d briskly high step in with a smile on his face.

What Duke loved more than anything was to go for a walk. I couldn’t put on sneakers without him getting excited.

Duke quietly suffered during his last month. We tried many different treatments for his loss of weight and digestive problems. His smiling prance gave way to a weary walk. We knew it was his time to go when he declined to be walked, and didn’t solicit scratches from guests at Thanksgiving. We fed him a last meal of roasted turkey, and took him to the vet for the last time. He died with the dignity that he always displayed while alive.

Although the site isn't working just right, here is duke's memorial web site. if there is a message saying the site is unavailable, hit refresh. If the pictures don't open, switch between the pages and they should open. Duke's memorial website

I am so sorry for your loss of Duke. He was a handsome pup. Your memorial site is wonderful. Duke is smiling down upon you thanking you for all you did for him.

Godspeed Duke, you are sadly missed.

:f_red:gh_runner:f_red

Hugs,

Carla

I am so sorry for your loss. There will be a new star in the heavens tonight.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed sweet boy. :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Greyhoundbaby

Please accept our heartfelt condolences for your loss.

May you find comfort in the love of friends as well as the many wamr memories you will have forever...

Karen, Tapsy, Julie and Gryf

A beautiful tribute and memorial website. Duke looked so regal in his photos just as you described him. I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to say goodbye to a cherished friend.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy