Is This Normal For White Dogs?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

I just picked up my newest foster today (being returned due to financial reasons) and he's mostly white with some red on his head.

When he was laying down, I noticed what looked to be bruising or spider veins on his stomach. Is this normal for white dogs or is this bruising or something else?

Angler002.jpg

Angler001.jpg

Kinda blurry and hard to tell, but I have 2 white dogs with red brindle and all they have on their undersides is a cow belly.

Don't know what that is.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Looks like blackheads. If foster is going to be with you awhile, try once daily lay a warm (not hot) washcloth over the area for a minute or two, then either wipe gently with nolvasan solution or wash with mild soap, rinse, pat dry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry has those exact same black spots. I had heard black spots on the belly can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. But I had Henry thoroughly checked for Hypothyroidism and he is not hypothyroid. I figured it had something to do with him being a little older?

Guest tricolorhounds
Henry has those exact same black spots. I had heard black spots on the belly can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. But I had Henry thoroughly checked for Hypothyroidism and he is not hypothyroid. I figured it had something to do with him being a little older?

I have 2 Hypothyroid dogs and no spots.

Guest EmilyAnne

This is what Henry's looks like:

blackdots001.jpg

I have 2 Hypothyroid dogs and no spots.

I imagine symptoms are not necessarily cookie cutter and can vary somewhat.

Guest savvyprchick
Looks like blackheads. If foster is going to be with you awhile, try once daily lay a warm (not hot) washcloth over the area for a minute or two, then either wipe gently with nolvasan solution or wash with mild soap, rinse, pat dry.

Are dog blackheads different than human? His belly is smooth. He also has some of the spotting on a couple of his legs.

Guest smarthound

Our first grey had masses of blackheads on his belly. We were told they came from sleeping on newspaper at the track. We were able to get rid of most of them by spreading neosporin over the area and gently squeezing the goo out. DH worked on this over the years and Hubbard seemed to actually enjoy it. It was a lot like a belly rub, after all.

Guest Destiny

My friend's dog had those. Since I like to pick at things, I squeezed them, got rid of the majority of them, washed the tummy really well and eventually most of them went away.

:nod Yep, those are blackheads. They get them from laying on the newspaper at the track...the ink gets in their pores. It's good to get rid of them because I've seen a couple dogs where they had so many that they got a big callus (sp?) from them and they got infected. As someone mentioned...warm washcloth, squeeze them as needed, clean with an astringent (like clean and clear facial toner). Eventually they'll all work themselves out, you can help them along by squeezing the ones that come to the surface though. Pinky still has some and I've had her for a year now.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our first grey had masses of blackheads on his belly. We were told they came from sleeping on newspaper at the track. We were able to get rid of most of them by spreading neosporin over the area and gently squeezing the goo out. DH worked on this over the years and Hubbard seemed to actually enjoy it. It was a lot like a belly rub, after all.

Jake has blackheads off and on. He's lived here for 5 years and has a new crop right now.

I know he doesn't lay on newspaper here and I know he didn't at the track or the adoption kennel he came from. They both use carpet as do many track kennels.

Like people, some dogs are more prone to blackheads The suggestions for removal are exactly what I do.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest indigojen

Just adding another vote for blackheads. Tipsy had quite a few when he got here, but he has far fewer now. I also had a friend that enjoyed popping them, but it's just too much for me :blink:

You need to be careful popping them. Red had something that looked like that and vet said his was a staph infection of some kind (did not look like Chase's circular dime-sized staph he got when stressed). It did look just like the other two's bellies, but his was different. Vet put a betadine wash on him and let it set 15 min (during dental) and they were gone and have not returned. :) No popping needed.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

You need to be careful popping them. Red had something that looked like that and vet said his was a staph infection of some kind (did not look like Chase's circular dime-sized staph he got when stressed). It did look just like the other two's bellies, but his was different. Vet put a betadine wash on him and let it set 15 min (during dental) and they were gone and have not returned. :) No popping needed.

Hmm... interesting Tonya. We have Betadine wash here, but doubt we'd get him to sit still for 15 minutes with it on...

Guest savvyprchick

Thanks everyone... I'll try the warm compresses and see if that works. I also have Epsom Salt... if the warm compresses themselves don't work, that might since it draws out infections.

Diesel had a huge mass of those when he came in as a foster. They were blackheads. BLECH! Warm compresses, some squeezing, and cleaning w/ astringent, and he's been blackhead free for over a year now. :) (we've had him for two years, it took a while to get rid of them)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

I've only had one that had that, Jack. Like Batmom said they're black heads, someone told me its from kicking sand up on their bellies while running, then laying in their crates. Lots of people just pop them, like a zit & then put medicine on them...I've left Jack's alone & they're slowly going away. I was really surprised Snowy didn't have them since she was in a cast for so long, but they said she sat a lot...

Guest CindyMessmore

All my Greys had a patch of blackheads on their bellies. From the pics I can't tell for sure, but you would know the difference between blackheads and bruising/veins. If there's been bleeding under the skin, it might settle on the belly...... the lowest part of the torso?

Yup, Blackheads... All of mine have had them to some degree. They do come and go on some of the nekkid bellied kids, but otherwise, are no worry. They don't hurt them.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

:nod :nod Yup.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 2 months later...
Guest jupiterooos
I just picked up my newest foster today (being returned due to financial reasons) and he's mostly white with some red on his head.

When he was laying down, I noticed what looked to be bruising or spider veins on his stomach. Is this normal for white dogs or is this bruising or something else?

Angler002.jpg

Angler001.jpg

:lol

I was searching the forums looking for some additional info on dealing with Angler's blackheads, and what comes up but a topic posted by his previous foster mom?

We are still working on the stinking things btw. There are LOTS.