A Huge Texas Howdy!

Guest GreytMuse

Guest GreytMuse

Hello, everyone!

First of all, I want to say that this forum is incredible and I've found it at the perfect time -- funny how sometimes things come to you just when you need them, isn't it?! :)

A little about my family...

Eleven years ago I was looking for a companion to my bratty 4 month old Golden Retriever pup, Betsy. I happened upon a 'Free to Good Home' ad for a Greyhound in a nearby suburb one morning, and by that evening, we had a new family member. Phoebe was a 2 year old red fawn with impeccable manners and the sweetest, most gentle disposition. I was so very ignorant, I knew absolutely nothing about greys, and to this day, I have no idea why I followed up on that ad! (I suspect it was just meant to be!) I do know that the family who had her must have mistreated her --- though she had been with them off the Corpus Christi track for close to 6 months, she had poor potty training and would cower and cry at the sight of a rolled-up newspaper...

Phoebe was with us for 11 years and crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10 weeks ago. I regret deeply that I didn't have this forum for support; her last days were very painful for us and unless you have gone through the hospice process with a much-beloved dog, it's hard to explain how excruciating it is to experience. We are still grieving, but the pain of losing her is now tempered with wonderful memories of how much love and joy she brought into our lives. We will always be thankful for all she gave us!

A few weeks ago, GALT (Greyhound Adoption League of Texas) was holding a Meet-n-Greet at our local pet supply store, where my oldest daughter works. My husband and I went by "just to peek" at the dogs, then went to their OTHER Meet-n-Greet at a different site, then went to another event the next day. LOL. You can guess the rest of the story by now, I'm sure. Halloween Day we welcomed Atticus (aka Atta aka a T A Sendahl) into our family!

atta4-2.jpg

The past few days have been a teeny bit rough, but fairly predictable -- introductions to our still bratty Olden Golden, and our two cats. Atticus is taking it all in stride and we can tell he is trying very hard to understand our household and fit in! His demeanor is a HUGE testament to the excellent foster program that GALT has in place.

I look forward to being a part of this community and hope I can contribute as well! I'm having the best time reading through the forums at the excellent advice and opinions, and I've already shed a few tears with people who are in the middle of loss. Thank you in advance to all who share their collective wisdom, and those who moderate these boards. What a resource!!

Welcome from Kansas! :welcome2 I'm so sorry about your sweet girl. I've lost too many to cancer, and it's a tough thing to go through.

Atticus is just gorgeous! Congratulations to your family. We'll be looking for more pictures of that handsome boy!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Welcome! I am from Plano as well :colgate

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Welcome to the board :) Wish you would have found us sooner too but glad you are here now :colgate

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry for your recent loss but glad you've opened your heart to another greyhound. One never replaces another, of course, but it has always helped my heart heal. Atticus is a very handsome boy. Congratulations!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

welcome from Houston! Atticus is stunning and sounds like he will be a greyt addition to your family. Phoebe would be happy that you continued her legacy by adopting another. Again welcome!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest IrskasMom

WELCOME :wave:wave:wave:wave Attikus is simply stunning :wub::wub::wub::wub: I am

sure you also found out ,that many of us are still in Pain or Content what we can't change about the

Loss of a Greyt. I am so,so sorry about your Loss. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug We are here for

you and glad you found us.

BTW GALT is great and Kelly ,Boomer's Mom is Super .

Guest GreytMuse

Thank you so much for your kind hellos and welcomes!

We are falling deeper in love with Atticus by the second, and though I was afraid I would feel as if I was betraying the memory of Phoebe, instead I feel an even deeper sense of love for her memory.

GALT is definitely great! We owe them so much for letting us know Atticus. He came off the track in April '07 with a central tarsal bone that was broken in two places (Grade IV fracture), and needed 2 screws inserted in order to heal properly. I've seen the medical bills in Atticus' records, and they spent many thousands of dollars on this awesome boy. Atticus' wonderful fostermom also spent many, many hours ferrying him to the vet and his surgeon, and took care of him all during his healing. The good news is that Atticus walks and runs beautifully now, with no limp, and will live a happy, normal life because of these fine people. The work they do is a blessing for so many.

Here is Atticus in April, a week after GALT took him in:

AttaGator01.jpg