Neck Issues

Looking for some ideas here for some possible causes of the following:

healthy, normal greyhound one morning

later in day seems a little stoic and yelps when bumped from the front (normally non vocal for pain)

next day seems stiff and walks the speed of a 158 year old person

Not able to really move neck much

eats fine, but has issues due to not being able to move neck much

Goes to vet for large injection of cortisone - doesn't do much. Another injection of cortisone the next morning - improvement in range of motion, but not lots and only for a short time until cortisone wears off.

In lots of pain even with pain meds.

possible causes given so far:

pinched nerve

herniated disc

cancer (several different types)

What other causes could lead to such a pain in the neck resulting in not being able/willing to move it much?

Lou has suffered through this occasionally.

It first started when he went down the stairs to hard.

He could not lift his head without yelping.

He was put on a Dexamethosone, 0.5 mg. until pain subsided.

Rest is the key, no stairs, no long walks.

This pain can start at anytime and has been diagnosed of a neck sprain after all other things were omitted.

Good luck.

There is this Discospondylitis

Poor baby, hope the cause is found soon.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest lizmego

This happened with Effee about a year ago when she was 10. I took her to a traditional vet and they couldn't find anything wrong, said they could take x-rays but that it most likely wouldn't show anything if it was soft tissue damage or pulled muscle. So we took her to a chiropractic vet. Dr. Pat said that it was most likely a racing injury that had just compounded on itself over the years and culminated in her not shaking anymore, limping and difficulty getting up and down. We went for adjustments and acupuncture for about once a month for 4-5 months, and I swear she's even healthier now than she was before. We adopted her at 5 and its amazing how much energy she has now. I had never noticed that Effee never turned her head to the left, but Dr. Pat said that was a huge factor in her dealing with the pain and stiffness. If you can find a chiropractic vet and/or acupuncturist and I highly recommend making an appointment. I have now taken all three greys to Dr. Pat and I truly beleive they are healthier now than ever before.

We've been through this twice with Foxy although not for many years now. We never did find out the actual cause or real source. Our vet said the next time they could do an x-ray with dye to see if that would reveal anything. We never did have to go that route.

If you can find a canine massage therapist they may be able to identify the source of the pain which could give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. We found that out by accident when I took Jake for a massage when he had an unidentified limp. She found the source of the pain and where it was being referred to. She also suggested using Traumeel, it worked really well to bring down the inflamation. I use it myself now, when my back or neck are really hurting.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

TBD can cause neck pain in addition to cancer, muscle strain/sprain, pinched nerve, infection, inflammation, etc.

When a dog doesn't respond dramatically to cortisone injections, I start to get more worried. Diagnostically you could consider a plain x-ray, bloodwork and a TBD panel. If WNL, next steps are referral to a neruologist and possible CT scan.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Rocco the whippet has been through this a couple times as well. IIRC the first time was the worst. He seemed to have done it going crazy -- leaping, jumping, etc. -- when a human friend visited. He had prednisone for one episode, NSAIDs for the others (the couple episodes were separated by several months). The worst time, it took 3-4 days? on meds before he was moving and lifting his head @ like normal. Parents kept him off the stairs, leash walks only for potty, for @ 3 weeks. I imagine they would've x-rayed if he hadn't gotten better but he was 12-13 at the time (14.5 now); they weren't eager for more diagnostics as they wouldn't've put him thru surgery. He does have a spot on his spine just behind the shoulder blades that will cause some pain if pressed firmly.

Hope for a quick and complete recovery for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest snowberry

If it's a pulled muscle, there's nothing much helps except pain medication and time. I've had this a couple of times with Herbie, and the vet wasn't even sure if it was neck or shoulder, but it was definitely the left side. Herbie found stairs really hard, and started hopping up them like a rabbit, rather than walking.

My dobe went through a similar episode several years ago. He was diagnosed with a herniated disc. He was given a steroid injection in the office and sent home on a high dose of prednisone. He was on crate rest and leash walked. I thought I was going to loose him. He was in more distress than his brother who had osteo at the same time. He recovered but it took awhile. I don't allow any rough play behavior and he wears a harness instead of a collar. This was an acute episode so no warnings. Good luck. I hope you find out whats wrong soon. Its awful when they suffer and you don't know how to fix it.

If WNL, next steps are referral to a neruologist and possible CT scan.

what does WNL mean?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

What I did with Rob Roy:

doxy treatment

acupuncture

chiropractic

what I wish I would have done:

tick panel (e canis, babesia, RMSF, lyme and VF) & pcr for e ewingii

I think Rob had a spinal neck tumor but I'll never know..... I knew when the acupuncture and chiropractic didn't help it was bad.

Most people have never heard of Babesia organisms though they have been causing red blood cell destruction in their canine hosts all over the world. Babesia organisms are spread by ticks and are of particular significance to racing greyhounds and pit bulls. Humans may also become infected.

There are over 100 species of Babesia but only a few are

found in the U.S. and are transmissible to dogs. Babesia

canis, the “large” species of Babesia is one, “Babesia gibsoni,”

a smaller Babesia which affects pit bull terriers almost

exclusively is another, and a second but unnamed small Babesia has been identified in California. Babesia species continue to be classified and sub-classified worldwide.

HOW INFECTION HAPPENS AND WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Infection occurs when a Babesia infected tick bites a dog and releases Babesia sporozoites into the dog’s bloodstream. A tick must feed for 2-3 days to infect a dog with Babesia. The young Babesia organisms attach to red blood cells, eventually penetrating and making a new home for themselves within. Inside the red blood cell, the Babesia divests its outer coating and begins to divide, becoming a new form called a “merozoite” which a new tick may ingest during a blood meal. Infected pregnant dogs can spread Babesia to their unborn puppies and dogs can transmit the organism by biting another dog as well.

Having a parasite inside one’s own red blood cells does not go undetected by one’s immune system. Infected red blood cells are identified and destroyed which kills the Babesia organism but, unfortunately, if many red blood cells are infected this leaves the host with anemia, a lack of red blood cells. Often the host’s immune system will begin destroying the uninfected red cells as well. Symptoms include weakness, jaundice, fever, red or orange colored urine. At least 50% of patients will require blood transfusions.

Making matters worse is the fact that animals seem to get sicker than the degree of anemia would suggest so that there is more to this infection than the actual destruction of red blood cells. The severe inflammation that is associated with this parasitism can be overwhelming and completely separate from the anemia. Platelet counts can drop thus impairing normal blood clotting (especially a problem for Babesia gibsoni). An assortment of neurologic signs of can occur with Babesia infection when parasites sequester inside the central nervous system and generate a more localized focus of inflammation. In severe cases there is a lung injury similar to what people with late stage malaria can experience. The new California Babesia species seem predisposed to creating liver disease.

If the acute symptoms are relatively mild or at least non-lethal, a chronic infection can develop. This is usually without symptoms but the dog may continue to be a source of infection to feeding ticks. Relapses can also occur with stress.

Because Babesia is a tick-borne infection, it is not unusual for infected dogs to have other tick-borne infections such as Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and others. These infections may interact to make each other more severe.

Young dogs tend to be most severely infected, especially. Pit Bull terriers.

DIAGNOSIS OF BABESIOSIS

If one is very lucky, the Babesia organisms can be seen on a blood smear. Babesia canis organisms are tear-shaped and occur in pairs. Other Babesia species have several forms in which they appear. Odds of finding the organism are improved by checking freshly drawn blood taken from a capillary source ( a small cut to an ear, for example) rather than from a blood vessel. If Babesia organisms are found, the patient is definitely infected but they are hard to find so an alternative method of diagnosis is needed.

Antibody testing has been problematic as infected animals may have circulating antibodies long after the organism is gone or may have no antibodies circulating while a few organisms remain hidden inside red blood cells.

The current method of diagnosis involves PCR testing. This is extremely sensitive testing and can distinguish 4 different species of Babesia. While only certain laboratories run this type of testing, this is really the best method of answering the Babesia infection question.

BABESIA TREATMENT

Therapy for Babesia is not a benign under-taking. In fact, if a dog is asymptomatic with Babesia, treatment is not worth the side effects. Further, even with treatment Babesia gibsoni, and probably the other small Babesia species, cannot be fully cleared by any of the drugs listed. Female dogs testing positive for Babesia should not be bred.

Diminazene Aceturate

This drug is not available in the U.S. but in other countries is the most commonly used treatment. A single injection is needed and is best used on Babesia canis. Side effects include: nausea, blood pressure drop, painful injection, seizures, and some fatal reactions.

Imidocarb Dipropionate

This is the only drug approved for Babesiosis in the U.S. A single dose is usually effective for Babesia canis but two given two weeks apart are needed for Babesia gibsoni and the other smaller Babesias. The injection is painful plus causes muscle tremors, drooling, elevated heart rate, shivering, fever, facial swelling, tearing of the eyes, and restlessness. Pre-treatment with an injection of atropine helps palliate these side effects.

Trypan Blue

This medication serves to block the parasite from entering red blood cells and may help minimize the symptoms of the infection. Side effects are minimal and it is given as an IV drip.

Phenamidine Isethionate

This drug is not available in the U.S. but a similar drug, Pentamidine isethionate, is. It is more effective on Babesia canis.

Quinuronium Sulfate

This drug is not available in the U.S. It is similar to malarial treatment. It is given as a series of two injections two days apart generally with marked improvement in the patient by the second injection.

A combination therapy of quinine, azithromycin, atovaquone, and/or clindamycin are promising and may become prominent in the future.

A vaccine is available against Babesia in France but only seems effective against certain strains. Vaccination is 89% effective in France. The best prevention is aimed at tick control.

HUMAN BABESIOSIS

In the U.S. chiefly occurs on the East Coast and along the Great Lakes. Babesia microti is the species that infects humans and is associated with a 5% mortality rate. Treatment is similar to that for malaria: blood transfusion, quinine, and clindamycin. New species of Babesia have been diagnosed in humans in California, Washington State, and Missouri.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_babes...on_in_dogs.html

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Looking for some ideas here for some possible causes of the following:

healthy, normal greyhound one morning

later in day seems a little stoic and yelps when bumped from the front (normally non vocal for pain)

next day seems stiff and walks the speed of a 158 year old person

Not able to really move neck much

eats fine, but has issues due to not being able to move neck much

Goes to vet for large injection of cortisone - doesn't do much. Another injection of cortisone the next morning - improvement in range of motion, but not lots and only for a short time until cortisone wears off.

In lots of pain even with pain meds.

possible causes given so far:

pinched nerve

herniated disc

cancer (several different types)

What other causes could lead to such a pain in the neck resulting in not being able/willing to move it much?

Does he play with stuffies and sling them around? I know Gidge has had it happen twice now - she pulled something in her neck playing.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest MorganKonaAlex

My Morgan has had a few episodes over the years. It's like he throws his neck out. He won't lift it and just stands and shakes (he's a wimp though). A few days on pain killers and muscle relaxers and it will just as suddenly disappear. We've had x-rays but didn't find anything. He's had maybe 4 episodes over the 8 years we've had him. I keep a supply of the meds around so I can start them as soon as it happens.

Have you had a set of x-rays done? would you consider that? Prayers for an uneventful find and easy cure.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If WNL, next steps are referral to a neruologist and possible CT scan.

what does WNL mean?

within normal limits

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Well, after a week and our vet and a neurosurgeon and MRI later, we know just as much as we did when we noticed he was having issues. Nothing. Oh wait, I'm sorry, we do know something. Ryan can't have steroids. Prednisone (at a medium/high dose) left him with a bleeding ulcer in less than 24 hours that we now have to fix before we can even think to try much else.

Nobody has seen what is going on with Ryan. Several Neurologists have been consulted and nobody has ever seen such a thing, don't know how or why it is happening. At the moment, there is nothing that can be done other than keep treating his pain.

He seems to be getting around a bit better and able to finally rest - we don't know if it is him getting better or the meds finally starting to help him or a combo of both.

Once the ulcer is healed, we will likely try a "blood thinner" approach, but only with asprin, to see if we can move these 'clots' along to remove the pressure.

From his neurologist:

The MRI was very unusual. There was evidence of enlargement of the venous sinuses in the spinal canal. These sinuses sit underneath the spinal cord within the canal. They are dilated to the point where they are causing compression of the spinal cord -enough to be painful but not enough to disrupt nerve impulse transmission. I've talked to a few neurologists in the US today and none had ever encountered anything like this. Our thoughts brought us to the things I had discussed with you: is there a tumor showering blood clots, or even pieces of itself, into the blood stream causing this problem? Does he have a medical reason to be hypercoagulable (Le. prone to forming blood clots)? Ryan has no evidence of any medical problem that could make him hypercoagulable at this time. Even if he did, showering clots just to the venous sinuses would be profoundly unusual. These clots usually cause problems in the tiny vessels of the lungs and brain, not larger structures like the venous sinues. There was a small area underneath the spinal cord in the upper 1/3 of the neck that may have a small mass in it, but this could not be confirmed with the study performed.