Do You Use Flea Treatment/heartworm Year Round

Guest jessicaksu125

Flea/heartworm  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use flea/tick treatment year-round?

• Yes, once a month all year
    • Yes, but it's always a warm month here
    • No, just in the warm months
    • Yes, but less frequently in the winter
    • Different things for different dogs
  2. 2. Do you use heartworm treatment year-round?

• Yes, once a month all year
    • Yes, but it's always a warm month here
    • No, just in the warm months
    • Yes, but less frequently in the winter
    • Different things for different dogs

Yes to both. Its summer here all year round. Fleas NEVER hibernate.....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I don't use preventive medications...I only use a flea treatment when my hounds need one for having fleas.

They don't have fleas normally...Heartworm is not an issue over here, so no preventive treatment needed.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Absolutely yes... every month on the heartworm preventative.

On flea/tick... only when I board them. The way are home and yard is set up we have never had a flea or a tick here.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:colgate Hi Marion :colgate

I also don`t use preventive medications and flea we never had till now.

We flee from hedgehogs :lol which are running in autum in the park for seeking wintering grounds.

With heartworm we have God thanks no problem here.

Greetings Ilse, Fini and Lilifee

Guest act2redux

ok...now I'm curous. Why do so many of you use heartworm preventative during the winter?? I have always started mine on it early spring before the misquitoes really come out and continue untill it gets really cold / hard freeze... What gives? :dunno

I only use flea/tick treatment if there is a sign of needing them or if one of my dogs is going to an event (like the RTW gathering). I've alway been very fortunate to not have fleas/ticks in my yard and I hope it stays that way. :)

Until this year, I've always used heartworm preventative in the warm months. I learned this area is pretty bad for hookworms so I will now be using Interceptor all year round.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

ok...now I'm curous. Why do so many of you use heartworm preventative during the winter?? I have always started mine on it early spring before the misquitoes really come out and continue untill it gets really cold / hard freeze... What gives? :dunno

We are in a sub-tropical climate so it is necessary.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I use Interceptor, which also prevents round, whip and hook worms, so that's why I give it all year.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Interceptor all year. Even this far north, we have some winter warm spells that can meet mosquito requirements, and it does help control other worms.

Frontline -- When I lived in GA, I gave it every 30-45 days all year round. Here in northern IL, I usually give monthly @ March - November. I might give a January dose if we're amongst other dogs regularly, but usually not.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, there was no option for Neither so I didn't vote. Our vet doesn't recommend heartworm medication in our area, however we do annual testing. Also, we don't give flea medication unless the dogs get fleas, which happens very rarely for us despite being regularly exposed to other dogs (so far once in the past 4+ years).

A lot of this depends on where you live though, and the climate (especially the heartworm) so the poll will be of limited use for deciding what an individual should do. It's interesting to read about the different situations though. :)

We do each for 6 months. We do not have ticks on the south shore of long island but in the poconos we have them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest trevdog

No to the first, every month to the 2nd. The only time we ever had a flea/tick on a grey was when we were living in an apt. Otherwise never seen one. Interceptor year round for the skeeter population

Guest Moebaaviva

We do heartworm every month and flea treatment only in the warm months... or at least that's what we had been doing. We don't like treating unnecessarily, but last month one of our indoor only cats picked up a tapeworm. :ohno None of the animals had fleas, but we figure our yard is probably pretty infested due to all the stray neighborhood cats that wander through it, and fleas sometimes hitch a ride on us or the dog. We now plan on treating all three pets year round.

Guest crazy4greys

I use flea & tick prevention from March to November, and I use heartworm meds all year, and I use Interceptor due to fostering incase the fosters have worms. That way my guys are protected.

Guest friendofmitzi

We use Interceptor year round always have. There are mosquitoes in New Orleans year round. I find the flea treatment lasts for several months, so we treat her every 3 months all year long. If we start seeing fleas, then we treat more often.