Bodie's Back Home After His Setback

Guest Bodie

Bodie came home yesterday morning after having emergency surgery Thursday night to remove the 2" x 4" patch of skin that had died around his incision. The dead stuff has been cut out and he has been re-stitched. He also has two drains around his incision to drain the inflammation.

Last night was a night from Hell. I slept downstairs with him and no matter what I did, he insisted on sleeping on his injured side. He'd lie down, one or both of the drains would push in and he would shreik. I'd try and get him to lie down on his good side and that was a struggle, but eventually I'd get him there. That would last maybe 10 minutes before he would get up and try to lie down on the bad side again. I got very little sleep since I was on "nursing" duty, but neither did anyone else in the household because of all the shreiking.

Today he is more settled. Yes, we still have the problem of his trying to sleep on the wrong side, but I think he is catching on, because he is lying on his good side for longer periods. Or maybe he's just so exhausted by now, he really doesn't care what side he is on. I've always noticed he is "right-legged" in the same sense that people are "right-handed" and I expect he always raised and lowered himself from his right side. He's still trying to do that and it just doesn't work anymore now that he doesn't have a right front leg.

I am keeping a T-shirt on him for two reasons. One, is so he won't bother his stitches and staples, and the second reason is to catch the drainage. If we don't keep a shirt on him it just drips right out the tube onto the floor, carpeting. We have given up on keeping him crated because he is really balking at being put in there, it takes two to three of us to get him in, and we are all afraid of hurting him. Since he has stopped pacing around the house, there seems no reason to force him to stay where he is unhappy.

Someone on Greytalk suggested I try and find Cheryl, who had been posting to Circle of Greys about osteo surgery for her dog, Moe. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, whoever did. I posted to Circle looking for Cheryl and she got right back to me and asked if she could call me. We talked for over an hour. It turns out Moe had not one, but TWO follow-up surgeries after his initial one for the same issues that Bodie has. Moe also cried and shreiked and kept the household awake, as Bodie is doing, for two weeks following his surgeries. Moe is about 3-4 weeks ahead of Bodie in his recovery and undergoing chemo. But the part that cheered me is that Moe is now running through the yard, up and down the stairs, etc. It gives me hope that we will get through this and Bodie will recover.

By the way, for others going through osteo surgery for removal of a front limb, Cheryl discovered that Old Navy dog T-shirts - that are made for dogs, not people - are great for after surgery. They fit well (Moe is on the large size for a greyhound - 75 pounds after surgery and the loss of a limb, so they should fit most greyhounds), and Moe is still wearing one even though he no longer has stitches, just to keep him from licking the site, which he likes to do. So, hopefully, we can get away tomorrow and go to Old Navy and find some shirts for Bodie. I don't think these shirts would work for rear limb surgeries, since they are not long enough to reach back there, but they look great for front limb surgeries.

By the way, I wanted to say, I go into detail in these posts because even though we all wish it didn't have to be, the reality is, some of you will be going through this. I hope that my details will help someone in the future cope with this. It is an incredible emotional and physical strain on all of us - human and dog - and knowing what to expect may be helpful.

Edited by Bodie

Prayers continue for Bodie. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LadyChester

Hoping you and Bodie get some much needed rest :grouphug Thanks for sharing your experiences so that others may benefit - it is very thoughtful of you at a very difficult time.

Thanks for the update. :) The Old Navy t-shirt sounds like a great idea for Bodie! Keeping him in my prayers, and sending lots of hugs and light to you and your family for an uneventful healing process from here on out. :hope:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Don't ever worry about going into detail. It helps you as much as it helps others.

Good thoughts your way.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest PiagetsMom

I know all of us hope that we're never in your position, but, I know we all appreciate you taking the time to update and educate us during the stressful and difficult time you're going through. I hope that Brodie, and all of his people, have a more restful night tonight.......hang in there! :grouphug

Thanks for the update and the detail. It's a bit of a cliche, but knowledge is power. I hope Bodie feels much better very soon.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Glad to hear Bodie is home. He'll get the hang of it. If he's draining a lot, sticking a maxi pad to the inside of his t-shirt will soak up the drainage better than the tshirt alone will.

Thank you for sharing his journey with us. I pray that I never have to go through this, but with having 4 dogs I realize that the odds that at least one of them could end up with cancer are up there.

I bet for a rear leg amp a pair of boxer shorts turned around with the tail through the crotch hole would work. But, the shorts would have to be removed to go out for potty time.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Ruthygirl

My prayers and thoughts are with you. I went thru amputation with my Ruthy in April. It was really hard. Hang in there it will get better.

Shawn and the Greyhounds

Ruthy, Badge, Bows and PeeWee

I truly appreciate your detailed accounts of your experiences with Bodie. I've no doubt it's been unbelievably difficult, but thank you so much for sharing them. Here's hoping you're on the upswing now! :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Glad to hear Bodie is home. He'll get the hang of it. If he's draining a lot, sticking a maxi pad to the inside of his t-shirt will soak up the drainage better than the tshirt alone will.

Thank you for sharing his journey with us. I pray that I never have to go through this, but with having 4 dogs I realize that the odds that at least one of them could end up with cancer are up there.

I bet for a rear leg amp a pair of boxer shorts turned around with the tail through the crotch hole would work. But, the shorts would have to be removed to go out for potty time.

Thanks for the maxi pad tip - he's wearing one now and hopefully that will help keep down the ooze. If it works, it will certainly look better than the stained shirt he is walking around with. Bodie is also oozing today from his stitches. I hope this isn't a bad sign. He has a vet appt. tomorrow to remove the drains so he can be examined then.

The boxers sound like a greyt tip also! I just hope I never have to use it. Going through this with Bodie is possibly the most emotionally draining thing I have ever done.

Edited by Bodie

Sending big bunches of hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for posting an update. Bodie continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest JohnnyBell

When Shophie had her rear leg amputated she oozed a lot from her insicion site.I think it's normal.Boy it was messy it felt like I was always cleaning up the carpets.

I've been thinking of Bodie and his family. Hope things go more smoothly now and let the healing begin!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Sending white light and prayer for Bodie.

Hugs and kisses for Bodie and his family.

You are in our thoughts and heart as we know how hard it is.

Cora

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)