Surgery For Alex's Corn Cobs

Guest CyndiW

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex is keeping the prescription food down with lots of Reglan and Pepcid. I also picked up a prescription of Prilosec 10mg for him yesterday to help with all the acid (too bad they can't take 20 mg because it is OTC and 1/3 the cost - unfortunately it is time released so I can't even cut it to make the 10mg). He looks a lot better this morning so I think the food is agreeing with him. He seems to have plenty of energy and it even seems to have helped with the constipation problem as well as the vomiting issue. I wasn't thrilled with some of the ingredients but whatever works right now will have to do.

Don't sweat the funky ingredients list. Ever seen a low residue diet for a human? Make you go GACK in a big hurry. But sometimes that is what is needed.

Hugs and scritchies and calm tummy thoughts heading your way!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't sweat the funky ingredients list. Ever seen a low residue diet for a human? Make you go GACK in a big hurry. But sometimes that is what is needed.

Hugs and scritchies and calm tummy thoughts heading your way!

I agree. Sending more good wishes for Alex!

Guest trevdog

Didn't much care for Dallas' prescription food either. But she ate with gusto and had lots of output as well. That's what is needed at this point and it will put on a few pounds too.

Hang in there Alex!

Is he still keeping the prescription food down? I'm not a fan of that type of food either, but I'm with everyone else - what's important now is that he eats! Hope he's doing well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Absolutely - when humans are recovering from that type of surgery they get clear liquids and jello only. Not quite a well-balanced diet, but what the body needs at that point is quite different than your average, healthy hound.

I hope Alex is able to keep down his food and continues to heal. Sending lots of virtual hugs your way! :)

I am glad he's doing a little better. I would never feed a dog with pancreatitis chicken. Years ago Rosemary's dobe went into pancreatitis from chicken two or three times. Hold the chicken, no pancreatitis.

Jodie had chronic pancreatitis and I did not use chicken. Beef or lamb or fish :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Alex is still keeping the prescription food down. He went to our regular vet for some bloodwork (PLI) and then the lab will fax it to his surgeon. Our vet was so disturbed by his condition today that she expressed some concern to the surgeon. Some of it had to do with the condition also of the blood when it was spun down. We thought he was doing well except that he has lost a couple of pounds since Saturday and that fluid pocket refilled larger than ever. We have just seen him so much worse.

No he has not received any acupuncture. There was one within about 10 min. of the place he was in Cincy (the staff there told me). If he had an extended visit, I would have definitely pursued this for him. I am a firm believer of acupuncture and have used it quite a bit for myself. However, we do not have one in our hometown (human or dog). We used to have one that was traveling here from Louisville that I used and I had even inquired if he worked on dogs and he said he does some. However, he even no longer comes here.

I just talked to the surgeon and she recommended that I call our vet office back in the morning and add a full chemistry panel in addition to the PLI. Apparently he looked quite jaundice and "dumpy" when our vet looked at him this morning. The surgeon said also if the pancreatitis has worsened that he may need to come in for fluids only for a couple of days. This would devastate him so I hope we can work through this.

Checking in on Alex, sending more prayers.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

We are in Indiana but Alex has been vetting in Cincy at the CARE Center. I looked up and saw that Dr. Gaston is somewhere there too. The surgeon did say depending on how the most recent bloodwork comes back that she may turn him over to one of their internists. She has been wonderful to help with the post surgery care but she feels that an internist may need to take over due to the pancreatitis and liver values. Do you think he would be able to help if things don't start picking up soon for him?

Alex is holding his own. He is just so thin. Sometimes I wonder if we will ever have him back fully. He vomited this morning just a few seconds after eating. It was encased in very thick, dry, sticky, white mucous - tons of it. The surgeon said when he vomits immediately it is usually a sign that the pancreas is rejecting food. However, it is almost like the food can't get down the esophagus due to all this mucous and he chokes. I am definitely going to mention this to her when she calls tonight or in the morning (his bloodwork is in - we just have to wait for her to see it and call us). If I re-pill the Reglan, wait a few minutes, and then re-feed him then it stays down. It is almost like in the morning he has to vomit all this stuff before food will go down.

He doesn't initiate play but if I squeak one of his stuffies, he runs over to get it then squeaks it for quite some time. My husband even just played some very gentle tug of war with him. He teased him, telling him he was going to get his "baby" but not really jerking on him too much. He has ran to the front window a few times barking with the other dogs which makes me think he feels fairly strong in the pack.

Thanks again for all of the continued prayers and support. It scares me that some of these complications could still take him from us but then I look into his eyes and all this fear goes away. He is just so strong and determined. He has so much love and joy to give; that is the awesome thing about greyhounds.

Thanks for the update. I think about your boy a lot and hope he continues to improve.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.