Questions Regarding Hypothyroidism

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

So Monty has hypothyroid. I got a full panel at my insistence, the derm vet poo-poo-ed it but I was right. That explains his baldness and proneness to infections. He will start meds tomorrow. I don't have his lab numbers yet but will post them when I get them.

he is tired a lot, I assume that is the thyroid problem?

Also, if he seems "indifferent" to us a lot, could that be related? Sometimes he is waggy and happy but a lot of times lately he is very BLAH.

Any input would be so great.

thanks.

Edited by greytmonty

I don't know about the indifference, but if hypothyroidism in dogs is anything like it is in humans (my mom was hypothyroid) that would explain his tiredness. Hope he's feeling better soon.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

It would explain the blah, too. This is actually very good news as thyroid problems are easy to control and the meds are cheap. It is actually exciting to see that Monty will get some relief, and you will get answers to the allergy questions! :)

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Does anyone know what "normal" numbers are for greyhound thyroid results? I am in a pickle now between our Derm Vet and regular Vet. Derm Vet says medicate for thyroid, regular vet says don't. I'm not sure which way to go.

Guest greytmonty
Does anyone know what "normal" numbers are for greyhound thyroid results? I am in a pickle now between our Derm Vet and regular Vet. Derm Vet says medicate for thyroid, regular vet says don't. I'm not sure which way to go.

I am bumping as I am interested in this too. Our derm vet says medicate and she has the numbers, we will get them tomorrow and I would like to compare them. Someone here will know the answer!

Email feemandvm -- he can help you interpret your results.

Baldness (other than greyhound pattern baldness :lol), lethargy (other than greyhound conservation of energy), weight gain on not much food, dry flaky skin are pretty classic signs of hypothyroidism. If your dog has one or more of those signs and a "gray area" thyroid result, probably worth treating. One thing to be aware of, tho, is that some of the thyroid numbers can be low ... not because the dog has thyroid disease but because the dog has another condition that is suppressing the thyroid. In that case, thyroid supplementation might improve the dog's appearance/demeanor in the short term but could leave a potentially dangerous condition untreated.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Fallon's #'s

TT4 = 3

TT3 = 1.1

FT4 = 4

FT = 3

T4 Autoantibody= 3

T3 Autoantibody= 3

TSH = 12

Thyroglobulin Autoantibody = 13

My main concern is that Fallon did not exhibit any of the classic low thyroid symptoms before supplementation, he only displayed them after.

Edited by DeweytheGreyt

P.S. There isn't really an absolute number for thyroid results. Depends some on the individual lab -- what their "normal" range AND scale are.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty
Email feemandvm -- he can help you interpret your results.

Baldness (other than greyhound pattern baldness :lol), lethargy (other than greyhound conservation of energy), weight gain on not much food, dry flaky skin are pretty classic signs of hypothyroidism. If your dog has one or more of those signs and a "gray area" thyroid result, probably worth treating. One thing to be aware of, tho, is that some of the thyroid numbers can be low ... not because the dog has thyroid disease but because the dog has another condition that is suppressing the thyroid. In that case, thyroid supplementation might improve the dog's appearance/demeanor in the short term but could leave a potentially dangerous condition untreated.

Monty has baldness, now spreading EVERYWHERE which is so sad, he is handsome doggie..Monty has lethargy, not greyhound calmness.

No weight gain.

Yes horribly flakiness.

Guest taylorsmom

Hi Karen--

Dr. Suzanne Stack is a good source for the numbers (I don't have the link, sorry, but I am sure someone else will or you can google it!!). My Taylor is hypothyroid, and it has explained some of her behavior but not all of it. We originally tested her because of her behavior, she is very shy and skittish around men, somewhat "over the top" around other dogs, lethargic at times. She was not bald much. But her numbers were extremely low!! Since we started meds she has more energy, but she still is pretty reserved around men. She' s not as nutsy on our walks when we encounter other dogs. I just think that when their thyroids are supplemented appropriately they feel so much better in general you see the real dog come out.

The other thing to make sure of is to not use the generic thyroid medication, use Soloxine. It seems to work better for sighthounds. Also, we get all of Taylor's testing done through Hemopet in California, run by Jean Dodds who is a sighthound expert and a thyroid expert so I tend to really trust their results and her recommendations.

Good luck to you and Monty!!

Guest EmbersDad

i think embers last t4 came back at 2.1 and even tho in the normal range, our group felt it was still a bit too high, so im breaking her .2mg levothyroxine pills in half and using 1/2 twice a day, and will see what that does to the level at her next 6 mo checkup.

Guest greytmonty
Hi Karen--

Dr. Suzanne Stack is a good source for the numbers (I don't have the link, sorry, but I am sure someone else will or you can google it!!). My Taylor is hypothyroid, and it has explained some of her behavior but not all of it. We originally tested her because of her behavior, she is very shy and skittish around men, somewhat "over the top" around other dogs, lethargic at times. She was not bald much. But her numbers were extremely low!! Since we started meds she has more energy, but she still is pretty reserved around men. She' s not as nutsy on our walks when we encounter other dogs. I just think that when their thyroids are supplemented appropriately they feel so much better in general you see the real dog come out.

The other thing to make sure of is to not use the generic thyroid medication, use Soloxine. It seems to work better for sighthounds. Also, we get all of Taylor's testing done through Hemopet in California, run by Jean Dodds who is a sighthound expert and a thyroid expert so I tend to really trust their results and her recommendations.

Good luck to you and Monty!!

thanks Nancy, I will check with our regular vet re Soloxine. We are dealing with the derm vet faxing a scrip so I have to wait to see what she recommends.

thanks also for the feedback re Taylor. Monty was much more bouncy and cheerful a few months back so I have to think this is both his itchy allergies and his thyroid!

I think this is the link taylorsmom was referting to: http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/hypothyroid.htm

Other good health info on Dr. Stack's site, as well

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Here ya go- the Stack article on hypothyroidism and greys:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/396/Hypo..._Greyhounds.pdf

If in doubt, try synthetic thyroid hormone. There are no risks associated with trying it, and it's relatively inexpensive. Soloxine is considered the gold standard by some- including Dr. Stack- while other claim the generic is fine.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

We suspected about a year ago that Yardman was hypothyroid, because he would lay down mid walk even in the fall (it was normal for him to do it in the summer) he was also cranky and his bum was really bald.

Had his thyroid tested and it was borderline low for a greyhound. We opted to try meds - Yardman is now back to his goofy lovable self. It took about 2 weeks to really see a difference, but it worked.

ETA- the generic works fine for Yardman, but we are at the ready, should the effects of the generic begin to wear off.

I am hypothyroid and have to alternate between synthroid, levoxyl and levothyroxine myself.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest greytmonty
We suspected about a year ago that Yardman was hypothyroid, because he would lay down mid walk even in the fall (it was normal for him to do it in the summer) he was also cranky and his bum was really bald.

Had his thyroid tested and it was borderline low for a greyhound. We opted to try meds - Yardman is now back to his goofy lovable self. It took about 2 weeks to really see a difference, but it worked.

I thought Monty was laying down in the park due to the heat, but since he raced in Fla. that never made total sense. I bet it is the fatigue from the low thyroid!

I thought Monty was laying down in the park due to the heat, but since he raced in Fla. that never made total sense. I bet it is the fatigue from the low thyroid!

That's not a valid comparison. Monty may have raced in Florida, but don't forget a greyhound race lasts just over 30 seconds and he would have been back in his nice air conditioned environment. Heat can take it's toll on a greyhound very quickly.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Here is a website I was referred to. http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/thyrox...-medication.htm

I can tell you from personal experience, generic medication does not work as well as Soloxine on my girl. HUGE difference. On generic she got nasty fast! She kicked my kid out of his bed, snapped at my other when he went to sit down in a chair that she was not on. Back on Soloxine and the world was a better place! :) I order through omahavaccine.com.

Shanti still has bald patches on her thighs. She gets tested once a year. Soloxine is the only "cheap" medicine she is on. :)

Good luck with Monty.

The Girls

I am hypothyroid and have to alternate between synthroid, levoxyl and levothyroxine myself.

Not to hijack the thread... but.... what advantages have you seen by alternating between the various meds? I only take synthroid (.274mg a day) but my numbers are never static and my TSH varies between .5 and 100+. Yes, I am aware that is a 99.5+ variation- not a typo, and the lab we use has the normal range .3-5.0. I just had bloodwork done last week, and it was smallest shift ever! .5 to 6.3. Needless to say doc doesn't want to touch anything- recheck in 2 mos. In all the years no doc (Endocrinologist or Internist) has ever suggested varying the meds.

Guest greytmonty
Here is a website I was referred to. http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/thyrox...-medication.htm

I can tell you from personal experience, generic medication does not work as well as Soloxine on my girl. HUGE difference. On generic she got nasty fast! She kicked my kid out of his bed, snapped at my other when he went to sit down in a chair that she was not on. Back on Soloxine and the world was a better place! :) I order through omahavaccine.com.

Shanti still has bald patches on her thighs. She gets tested once a year. Soloxine is the only "cheap" medicine she is on. :)

Good luck with Monty.

Thanks, if my vet orders Soloxine I will get a small supply from the vet and order the rest online.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Not to hijack the thread... but.... what advantages have you seen by alternating between the various meds? I only take synthroid (.274mg a day) but my numbers are never static and my TSH varies between .5 and 100+. Yes, I am aware that is a 99.5+ variation- not a typo, and the lab we use has the normal range .3-5.0. I just had bloodwork done last week, and it was smallest shift ever! .5 to 6.3. Needless to say doc doesn't want to touch anything- recheck in 2 mos. In all the years no doc (Endocrinologist or Internist) has ever suggested varying the meds.

For some reason when I switch meds, my body takes a different amount of time to absorb and utilize the synthetic hormone. What was happening with me, is on one of the meds, I can't remember which, but after taking it for a while, my levels are good/borderline low on bloodwork, but I can actually feel myself wax and wane physically over the course of the day. It's really weird to describe. But I almost feel manic. Then i know it's time to switch. I have the best results with levothyroxine, myself.

Hijack over ;)

Guest greytmonty

Here are Monty's numbers, please let me know your thoughts. He has clinical signs (baldness lots of places not just greyhound pattern or due to allergies, lethargy, dry skin, prone to infections)

They are from Michigan State University Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health, director is Dr. Thomas Mullaney.

Total Thyroxine (TT4): 14 L ref range 15-67

Total triiodothyronine (TT3) 1.2 ref range 1.0 - 2.5

Free T4 by dialysis 2L ref range 6-42

Free Triiodothyronine (FT3) 4.1 L ref range 4.5 - 12.0

T4 autoantibody 2 ref range 0-20

T3 autoantiboy 5 ref range 0-10

Thyroid stimulating hormone 13 ref range 0-37

thyroglobulin autoantibody 3 ref range 0-35

this last one has a footnote that <20% is negative

I suggest e-mailing Dr. Feeman through Greytalk with the results you have posted. He is a veterinarian, and we aren't. :)

Dr. Feeman

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greytmonty
I suggest e-mailing Dr. Feeman through Greytalk with the results you have posted. He is a veterinarian, and we aren't. :)

Dr. Feeman

I already emailed him, thank you. I had contacted him two days ago and he agreed to look at the numbers when I got the fax. I have not yet heard from him.

BTW I know the general GT'er is not a vet, however many on GT have had dogs with hypothyroid and so I posted the numbers for those folks who can compare their dogs' test results and treatment.