Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Update

Guest FastDogRunning

Guest FastDogRunning

Thanks so much to all those who replied to my post on DCM. Link had a comfortable few weeks after visiting the cardiologist but took a sudden turn for the worse this afternoon. He seemed a bit unsettled last night and this morning but there was no coughing and he walked and ate fine. We had to go out for a couple of hours this afternoon and came home to find dozens of small puddles of pinkish clear liquid all over the floor. He was having a bit of trouble breathing. I phoned the vet and took him straight down. He settled a bit in the car and was breathing more normally but kept coughing up this horrible stuff. He wasn't really able to walk that great and was trailing his claws along the ground a bit. The vet thinks he had started to suffer from lack of oxygen to the brain and was having little fuzzy episodes. She thinks that this afternoon he has had a stroke like episode. She advised that he had simply had enough now and that the time had come.

I always thought it would be awful for him to be PTS in the vets but it actually wasn't. He wasn't really that distressed and lay down of his own accord on a bed they brought in for him while I waited for DH to arrive. I do really think that it was a relief to him as for the last few days he has really struggled with me over taking his meds. I just think that he has suffered so much poking and prodding in his life that he wasn't up for that at all.

I still wonder was he upset that he had been left but he is used to being left for a few hours and handles it really well with no anxiety. The vet says that she doubts this had any bearing on things and is sure this would have happened anyway but I can't help wondering and apart from anything I feel awful that I wasn't there when he felt ill. I will always wonder what exactly went on in the house before I returned but I suppose that's something I will never know.

Anyway thank you to all who gave advice and support - I think Link had just had it with this life.

I am terribly sorry on Link's passing. No, it wasn't anything you could do. This happens and his body was shutting down. Do not second guess. He knows how much he was loved. that is all they want. Prayers for peace and comfort. Run free Link.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest argolola

I am so sorry that your precious baby has gone. You will be in my prayers.

Please take comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful life.

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so so sorry for your loss of Link :cry1

Please don't beat yourself up. My first dog, a little terrier mix, went through a spell where she just wasn't right. I was working about 30 miles away at a factory, and just got the strong urge to leave and check on her. Her breathing was labored when I got home and I rushed her to the vet's. She was in congestive heart failure. I beat myself up for a long time after I lost her (she died in my arms that day while the vet was in the other room running some tests). You did everything you could for your precious pup :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest bowiebears

My sympathies on the pasing of Link.

It's always a shock, even when you know it was the best and right thing to do.

Good thoughts & prayers....

--Isaac

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug I believe Link was just trying to say he was tired

and weary and was ready to leave. :candle Godspeed Link. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in know that Link is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:bighug I'm sorry it was time for Link to pass on. He's at rest now, no longer suffering and freed from a body that was failing him. Know that he was cherished as a family member and will live on forever in your heart. May you find peace and be comforted by loving memories. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.