11yr Old Girl Wobbling, Panting Excessively

Guest GreyKat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bighug

Most vets won't tell you one way or another whether they think you're making the right decision... because it has to be your decision. And it's the hardest one in the world to make. But for what it's worth, I think you did Luna a great kindness by not letting her suffer any longer, even though it hurt you.

You may find that it helps to have a memorial service for Luna. Plant a special tree or a little flower garden in her memory. Tell her how much you and DH loved her. It will give you closure, give you a chance to say goodbye and honor her as well.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I am so sorry Luna is gone. I know how it is to lose one fast and not know why. I also know how it feels to lose your first grey. As far as the boys, they will start picking up some of her jobs/responsibilities/habits, and that will help them with the loss. Most of the time they deal with death better than we do, and they knew she was sick. It's no surprise to them. At our house, we let them see the body. As far as people, you need to grieve in your own way. I feel it helps to write about her... nice, cute, funny, special moments... and GT is the perfect place to do so. Talking will help, but the man here does not talk about them for a while because that is the way he grieves.

Sending hugs,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest whatahound

I am so very sorry about Luna. I hope your tears quickly turns to smiles everytime you remember your sweet girl.

Godspeed Luna. One more angel out there.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

I am so, so sorry for your loss. :cry1 Perhaps some of the links posted here may help you: Pet Loss Support

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LindsaySF

I am so incredibly sorry. :(

Try not to question your decision too much. Considering the amount of pain she was in, it sounds like you made the best choice for her. My husband and I had to make a similar decision for our boy last Thanksgiving Day. He too was in the extreme back-curling amount of pain that you described. If it's any comfort to you, our vet told us that the brain shuts down at that point and is unaware of the physical pain.

Time will help. You'll get through today any way you can and tomorrow will be better. I found a booklet that helped me to deal with great loss. It's called How can I Help?/What Will Help Me? by James Miller. If you PM your address to me, I'll send you a copy.

My sincerest sympathies.

I agree totally with this post.

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so sorry for your loss. I know too well having to make that painful decision and the howling emptiness in the heart afterwards. Remember, pain shared is pain lessened, and we are all here for you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Sending gentle hugs.

Fly away across the bridge, little girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreyKat

Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank you again for everything you've done for me just by sharing your kind words and advice. We are underway with the healing process, and happiness is pushing the sorrow aside. We are enjoying our two boys and trying to give them extra attention. We are making plans again, like for Dewey and some other special trips w/ the dogs that we should've been doing more often. I was able to go home and see family, while DH is diving into the world of Harry Potter. And, most importantly, we are able to talk openly about our feelings and share all our happy memories of that sweet, lovely girl. Also, both our vet and the neurologist who ultimately put Luna to sleep both sent cards and both said they thought we made the right decision. That was kind and it did help to ease our minds. The folks at GPA-NoVA, where we got our sweet girl back in 2000, have also been incredibly kind and compassionate.

I can't say enough how amazing all you greyhound lovers are. The sense of community and support and love is just overwhelming. I hope I can do the same for you that you've done so kindly for me.

Thank you, again!

Sincerely,

Kat (& DH, Reiger, and Max, too!)

I wish I'd rechecked this thread sooner....

I'm sorry you lost her. :cry1

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry to hear about Luna. You did the right thing for her. I had a greyhound, RJ, with meningitis, and for what it's worth I would NEVER treat a hound with it again. I'd let them go right away. If there was any chance that's what it was you saved her a lot of pain.

I've found that most vets don't advise you to let them go. If they DO tell you that you need to let your pet go it's probably way past time you should have done so and they can't keep quiet any longer.

Hugs-

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05