Good Thoughts Needed For Sally

Sally is poorly today :sad1 Her back legs aren't behaving themselves and she's in a bit of a pickle.

Around this time last year, she had a similar sort of incident and at the time, she'd recently celebrated her 12th birthday. We didn't think there was going to be a good outcome but thankfully, there was.

This time, she's a full one year older and she's most certainly weaker so as I type, I'm very unsure of what this outcome will be. She's had a big dose of Rimadyl and we're just waiting a while to see what happens next. She's not good with veterinary treatment/visits so I don't want to go in with her unless we have to. I am going to phone them though, to give them a heads-up, just in case.

dcadec359f8ed9b5a4a086e4e524a50f.jpg

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spiff

Thinking of you and Sally! I know exactly how you feel - poor Spiff's rear legs are slowly failing him.

Have you tried some Cartophen injections (for arthritis)? Or does she have LS? Spiff is 12.5 and has trouble with LS, so he got some Depo Medrol injections that really helped. It's about time for a new set of shots though. But the vet also sometimes gives Cartophen injections for joint problems - it would be an easier treatment than the Rimadryl. I don't think they have Cartophen in the US, but if they have it here in Germany, I'd think you'd have it in the UK...

:grouphug

Edited by Spiff

It's so hard to see them get frail. :(

The depro medrol injection Spiff referred to has worked a miracle in a friend's 12 year old boy. He was barely able to stand when she took a copy of Dr. Stack's article in to him and practically demanded they give it a try. He wasn't familiar with it, but finally gave in after much insistence on her part. He's like a new dog! He's going on walks again! I know it doesn't work in every case, but if your girl has lumbosacral stenosis (LS), it may be worth a try.

I hope she feels better soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks for your good wishes everyone :)

The problem we have with Sally is that she really doesn't like to be 'fiddled with' in any way :rolleyes: She's not a good patient at all, either at home or at the vets. I'm sure that some of you will remember that when she had to have the surgery on her toe nails, it took over an hour and a half for the nurse just to be able to remove the four bandages and dressings from her four feet, the week after the surgery :rolleyes:

Our vet is on holiday at the moment (our animals always do something odd when there's a locum vet on!) so I've phoned to let them know what the situation is and to give them a heads-up in case we do need to go in later. The locum vet is operating at the moment but I've arranged for her to give me a call when she's free so that I can just have a chat with her. It transpires that this locum has a 2 year old Deerhound, so thats a good start!

One thing I didn't say in my original post was that Sally lost control of her bowels during one of her leggie incidents this morning. She wasn't pleased about that. It doesn't bother us (we're plenty used to Sally toileting indoor issues :rolleyes:) but I know she didn't like that today.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:kiss2 for Sally & hugs for you!!

I'll be thinking of you today...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Just spoken to the vet and we're going to see how she goes over the next day or two and hopefully, she'll rally round, as she's done in the past. Obviously, if things get any worse or if we're worried in any way, we'll get back in touch with the vet who is available 24/7.

The Lovely Sally and you all are in my prayers. Could this be heat related in any way? Maybe she retains water or the reverse, gets dehydrated? I'm just thinking out loud, really. Hoping there is a simple solution. :)

Ocala says getting old sucks & she knows how Sally feels (she turns 14 in July). It is so hard to sww these girls get frail. I hold my breath each time Ocala gets frisky & plays lika pup, but is nice to see her have fun. Maybe just resting will help along with all theGT prayers.