Bald Thighs

Guest Kpparker

Guest Kpparker

Bald Thighs Syndrome

"Bald thighs syndrome" is a condition that has puzzled the greyhound community since the beginning of dog racing. Initially thought to have been caused by friction created when the dog moves about in its crate and rubs against the sides, it is now thought to be of a metabolic nature. Most noticeable after greyhounds begin an intensive training program for racing, it is now believed that the stress of racing and/or training may cause the baldness as a result of chronically high concentrations of cortisol (a hormone produced by the adrenal gland in response to stress). Although there has been speculation that hypothyroidism may contribute to this condition, supplementation with levothyroxine sodium is not consistent in resolving the bald thighs syndrome. As with ventral comedo syndrome, this condition is of concern to adopters mainly because of its cosmetic appearance, but does not appear to have any systemic effects on the dogs and there has been no consistently effective treatment. Occasionally the bald patches may resolve after a long break from the stress of racing, but in some, the hair may never completely regrow.

This was from : http://www.gcnm.org/concernsnews.html

Opinions? I had no idea.... I thought it was from the crate

The weird thing is ALL of my hounds have hairy thighs (even Tippy who has only been in a home for 2 weeks now). I have a few bald bellies in the house, but no bald thighs. No idea if it is a concidence or if I have a hairy group of hounds.

I think the general opinion is that it is either hyperthyroidism or genetics.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Hmmmmm. Sirocco has bald thighs, butt, tummy and chest. His thyroid levels are well within normal. I can't imagine that he could have lower stress levels and still be alive. His baldness does not concern me since he is also healthy, active, happy and very ornery. On the other hand, Yukon has tons of hair. So much, that I wonder if he isn't part lab. Of our 3, Yukon is also the most easily stressed. I believe he had been mistreated in a previous home since he cowers, shakes and hides anytime someone has their arm raised around him or talks loudly.

I wonder if canine baldness isn't genetic like human baldness.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

My personal opinion is it is just luck of the draw. Some dogs are bald, some aren't.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Shanti has bald patches on her thighs. She is also on Thyroid medicine. She still has bald thighs. Does not bother her or me. As long as all her numbers are where the should be, she can have bald thighs.

Interesting to know it could be hormonal due to stress.

The Girls

The weird thing is ALL of my hounds have hairy thighs (even Tippy who has only been in a home for 2 weeks now). I have a few bald bellies in the house, but no bald thighs. No idea if it is a concidence or if I have a hairy group of hounds.

I think the general opinion is that it is either hyperthyroidism or genetics.

Maybe having a constant supply of beautiful collars results in hair growth. I plan to test this to the limit as Arlie has only moderate hair loss and a moderate (by my standards, don't ask DH) number of collars. :lol:lol:lol

That being said, Arlie is currently being tested for hypothyroidism, but I have given my vets all the reference material, and my instinct is that this isn't the case.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest StriderDog

I've just always thought that some hounds are bald just like gymnasts have no boobs - they are both athletes who demand a lot of their bodies. But, every body reacts differently, even if many react in similar ways. Some gymnasts develop curves, some don't - same as the bald butts on our hounds. :dunno

Guest mleg2001

I believe one member here who was lure coursing with her grey commented that while in training a coursing hairloss would increase of thye thighs a decrease again during breaks from , currently I have 2 that really thin out during the summer months out thir legs and bellies and regrow the hair back in the winter months and Sunny had be thru a few thyroid tests it did not matter whether he was low or at the mid normal range it still occured

Guest meandmygreys

Justy had a bald butt..actually he WON the baldest butt contest at the reunion. :rolleyes: Since switching to Diamond Maintenence Dog Food..he has actually Grown hair on his rear.. :blink: I just hope it's the only place he grows more hair ! :eek:eek

Guest sabina

One of my greys, Billy had bold thigs when we adopted him. I can notice some hair regrowth in that area, but (no pun inteded) he is losing A LOT of hair all over his body! Is this normal

Edited by sabina

Athena came home three years ago with a bald bum. Over the winter, I noticed that she was growing some peach fuzz on her bum but never really paid any attention to it. Yesterday, I noticed her bum is HAIRY! Only one teeny little bald spot. Guess we'll have to change her nickname?

Maybe having a constant supply of beautiful collars results in hair growth.

I like that theory. More justification for future collar purchases. :lol

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

I agree that it's luck of the draw.

I've had 5 greyhounds. Two came to me with the fuzziest butts I had ever seen (Atlas and Orion, brothers), two came to me with really really bald butts (Icarus, also a brother of Orion and Atlas, and Echo) and then there's Uber who came with only partial fuzz on his butt.

Out of the littermates of Icarus, Atlas and Orion, 3 had fuzzy butts, 1 did not.

I haven't seen any relation between age, gender, genetics, thyroid, musculature, etc. It's random. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Tigonie

Emma came to us a little over 5 years ago, with a bald butt and bald belly. We did have her thyroid checked, about 3 1/2 years ago (full panel, sent to Michigan for analysis). All her numbers came up normal. We fed her good quality food (Natural Balance) and our house is pretty low-stress. Even after almost 5 years, no fur grew in.

About 5 months ago, she was diagnosed with the beginning stages of kidney failure (not food recall related). We put her on Purina NF and the medication Enalapril, plus the dietary supplement MSM. She is now starting to grow fur, both on her bum and her belly. No, it's not even close to filled in yet, but I thought it was interesting, because it was definitely a surprise.

Of course, baldness doesn't by any means imply kidney failure! But I just mean that the cause of baldness us unknown and the "cure" may vary from dog to dog.

Edited by Tigonie

Guest Hokiebuck
I believe one member here who was lure coursing with her grey commented that while in training a coursing hairloss would increase of thye thighs a decrease again during breaks from , currently I have 2 that really thin out during the summer months out thir legs and bellies and regrow the hair back in the winter months and Sunny had be thru a few thyroid tests it did not matter whether he was low or at the mid normal range it still occured

My theory is that it is hormonal, and that the hormone is increased with activity. Some GH are more prone to hair loss and that happens when the hormone is increased.

For example, my boy Cash came to me with some hair on his butt, and he had been off the track for several months. I started racing him in LGRA and running 3-4 days/week, now he is bald from the underside of his neck, belly, and butt. He is hoping to defend his title of Best Butt On the Beach at BBH this year!

I think when people see hair regrowth on their adoptees, its because they are not running as much as they did at the track.

The cause is unknown... but we are pretty certain it is NOT hypothyroidism. They've done biopsies and tested various hounds for a variety of things but failed to identify a common cause. Bald thighs for me would NOT be a reason to start thyroid supplement.

Just my $0.02.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest Hokiebuck
The cause is unknown... but we are pretty certain it is NOT hypothyroidism. They've done biopsies and tested various hounds for a variety of things but failed to identify a common cause. Bald thighs for me would NOT be a reason to start thyroid supplement.

Just my $0.02.

I know when I spoke to my Vet about it, she said that baldness from hypothyroidism is usually splochy, plus there is usually temperment issues as well. Since my GH's baldness was so patterned, she ruled the thyroid out.