Swelling In The Leg

First I want to give you and your family a cyber hug. :grouphug I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this nasty thing called cancer.

When it comes to treatment, I would go with what Batmom said. Dogs live for the here and now. They do not mourn what might not be, they enjoy what is happening right at this moment. Artemis is looking for ear skritches and belly rubs and lots and lots of love. If her time on this earth is shorter then you would have liked, (and it will ALWAYS be too short for all our beloved pups) the sadness is on your part not on hers. All she knows is that life is good. The food keeps my belly full. My family love me. Extraordinary medical measures may buy her some extra time or they may make her time here painful. My own personal opinion would be to make each moment with her as special as it can be. To make sure to keep her as pain free as possible. To make that final decision a day early rather then a day late. We all owe our greys good medical care, but good care does not necessarily mean doing everything that is humanly possible when the outcome is unlikely to provide any kind of long term cure. Sometimes the best decision is one to not act instead of act.

Again, I am so very sorry that you are having to face these painful decisions. Please know that no one here on Greytalk will judge you for what ever medical protocol that you decide to go with. We each have to make these difficult choices knowing our own pups and their temperaments and what is best for them.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry to read this sad news...my very best wishes for your beloved Artemis!

If I were you I would NOT let him go through painful, torturing procedures, although that might shorten his life

expectance a bit...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Some dogs handle chemo very well. Did they give the option of chemo only, no surgery?

I talked about that with the cancer doctor and he said that chemo really works microscopically. It wouldn't do anything for the existing tumors, which is why we are looking at surgery to remove the tumors and chemo for the cells.

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

Sometimes I think the hardest thing in the world is to say no to treatment. We humans equate that to giving up, and we don't like to give up.

That's exactly right. Neither the surgeon nor the cancer doctor said that she would be cured. The surgeon painted a more bleak picture for us because the lymph node has been infected. He also said the other feels that it's infected too.

I DO feel like not having any treatment is giving up but after talking with the surgeon it feels less like that. I know this cancer will take her because it's infected the lymph node so badly, and both doctors agree about that issue. She is not experiencing pain and nothing internal is infected. The lymph nodes are what's causing everyone the most worry. They would have to remove the tumors on her side and have one looong stitch and remove one lymph node and now possibly the other.

I'm not sure she would want to spend half of her life healing from these surgeries and the other recovering from chemo.

You will make the right decision for her. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

You will make the right decision, and with that will come 2nd guessing, but your decision will be made out of love and with that, there is no wrong decision. :grouphug:grouphug

I'm just reading this now, although I saw something about it in merchandise awhile ago. I just assumed surgery meant plain old surgery.

I'm so very sorry for the pain you are feeling and am very happy Artemis isn't feeling the pain right now. :bighug Hugs to you and your family even though they may be teary!

I see all sorts of good opinions and advice here so I feel no need to add any since I have never gone through this but I feel good knowing that if I ever do have to make these decisions, GT has some wise people with experience and contacts like OSU.

Please give Artemis some gentle scritches and kisses for me. She is the best kind of patient there could be because she is helpful in making decisions just by being herself. :gh_lay I hope you are having a wonderful day, dear!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last night was awful. She started to develop a limp in her front right leg. Yesterday she couldn't put any weight on it at all. Last night, she screamed any time she had to move. This morning it's the same.

She's really warm and the entire side where the tumors are hurts her anytime it's touched. Dwayne and I think it's time to say good-bye. I'm sad, but I'm happy for her. She'll no longer be hurting anymore. She's going to a place free of pain and she can run wild again. :)

We're about to leave to take her to the vet's office.

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so so sorry! :cry1 Sending gentlest of hugs to all of you, and praying for a peaceful passing for your sweet girl :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I'm very sorry about Artemis. I lost my Buzz boy yesterday, too. I know the pain you are experiencing right now.

:grouphug

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Farewell Artemis! :grouphug

May you be greeted by all the passed love ones and run with them at the rainbow bridge! :hope

Hugs to you and your family, Nicole

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so, so sorry. :candle:grouphug Godspeed Artemis. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest rsqdogsmom

I am so sorry.

Bless you for loving this girl and giving her the best life she could have.

Part of that is giving her a 'good' death, if that is possible, by knowing when to let her go free.

You have done all that you could.

My prayers go out to you. :brokenheart:f_red:brokenheart

Godspeed, sweet girl.

Edited by rsqdogsmom

Guest SquanHound

Editted b/c of latest update:

May you enjoy and cherish each and every moment that you have with your sweet baby :grouphug

Edited by SquanHound