Swelling In The Leg

Yes, the margins aren't clear. the bad guys exist all the way to the edge of the sample they sent. a larger hole needs to be made below where the tumor was and to the sides. a general rule for safe removal of a cancerous tumor is three inches all the way 'round. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, but to make sure they get it all, they'll have to take him back in to surgery and take out more tissue. :(

Hopefully that does the trick. :)

Thank you! Honestly, that's not suprising because there were little ones coming off the big one. She certainly needs to go back in and I guess that's what the oncologist is supposed to determine.

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytloves

Nicole,

A big hug to you and Dwayne and Artemis from her foster families here in Tyler. She is a special girl that we all remember very fondly. I'm happy to know she is with a family that loves her so. She certainly has had a good charmed life since going to Ponder. I think all of us here adopted her in our hearts!

Good Luck.

Kathy

We went today and it went pretty good. The good news is that she has had no spread to any internal organs. :yay The bad news is he says it looks like mast cell disease since there are so many tumors and the lymph node in her neck appears to be infected with mast cells. :weep

He suggests having her go through surgery and each of the tumors removed, then proceeding with chemotherapy. I am afraid of chemo because it seems so harsh and harmful to the body. We aren't scheduling anything until Thursday because that's when the tests results come back from all the aspirated tumors. He isn't saying for sure about how aggressive it is until the test results come back.

So for now she's on Benadryl to keep the histamine down, 4 tablets of vitamin C, 2 tablets of vitamin E, and arnica to help with some bruising on her neck. He also suggested giving Pepcid for her stomach to prevent ulcers. He said something along the lines of mast cells increase the acidity of her stomach acid. Has anyone else heard of this? I don't want to give her any unnecessary meds, especially now.

That's the news for now. We asked about the cost because I know it's expensive. After today's visit, estimated surgeries (there are three sites that will need work), and estimated chemotherapy he said we could plan on $8,000. Ouch, it looks like I need to make some necklaces. :)

So for now we're thinking positive. He didn't give us "She has 2 months to live" today and we're praying we won't hear that on Thursday either. Something brought a smile to my face today in the waiting room. They have a scrapbook out from all the thank you cards the office has received and do you know who else has been treated there? The marvelous Miss Apple Tini!

Edited by Ozziemydoggy

signature.jpg

Sending more prayers for your baby girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Winterwish

Artemis is in my thoughts and prayers for wellness. :dogcookie:hope:heart

I don't really know anything about the mast cells and the acidity,I'm sorry I have no advice. Hopefully the pepcid will help neutralize it tho'.

Sending hugs to you and your sweet girl Artemis. :gh_child:bighug

So for now she's on Benadryl to keep the histamine down, 4 tablets of vitamin C, 2 tablets of vitamin E, and arnica to help with some bruising on her neck. He also suggested giving Pepcid for her stomach to prevent ulcers. He said something along the lines of mast cells increase the acidity of her stomach acid. Has anyone else heard of this? I don't want to give her any unnecessary meds, especially now.

Do not skimp on the stomach meds :) Pepcid is one of the most mild ones you can give.

Contact Ohio State and see if she qualifies for free chemo drugs.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Thank you Diane. :) Why are the stomach meds so important?

I've been in contact with Dr. Saavadra for several weeks now. So far, he hasn't mentioned anything that differs from what our doctor says. So this is a good thing right?

signature.jpg

Guest trevdog

Her stomach is going to get really irritated by the meds so she needs to be on something to help. If she has Pepcid that will help it not be so irritated and she will be more likely to eat and keep it down.

Well today we had the consultation with the surgeon and I'm more confused than ever. I don't know what we should do, so any and all advice would be appreciated.

He told us that since it's spread to the lymph nodes that the mast cells are probably all over her body. He said that she would probably have another year, but then asked about her quality of life. He said that roughly 4-6 months of that time would be under the influence of the chemotherapy drugs. He and the cancer doctor said that the procedure would not cure her, just buy some time.

He said they can definitely remove the current tumors, but does not want to remove the one from her neck. He said he feels it's attached to the muscle and in past procedures it significantly reduces the quality of life when they have muscle removed from their necks.

I don't know what to do. I know now she's not suffering or in any sort of pain. I'm sure that won't last long as the current tumors continue to grow. What would you all do?

signature.jpg

First, some hugs. Lots of hugs.

Next .... What I would do might be very very different from what you would do. Okay?

I would give palliative care, which might or might not include "surgery lite" to remove/reduce some tumors (this would depend very much on the surgeons' advice). And when she wasn't happy or comfortable any more, I would let her go.

I am not a fan of chemo -- for dogs *or* people -- unless there is a good chance of a cure or significant remission (as in trouble-free, pain-free years). Dogs live in the now. For them, quality means much more than quantity.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Nicole, I am so sorry. Sending prayers and very gentle ear scritches to Artemis. :hope:grouphug

Just know that whatever decision you make will be the right one for Artemis. You know your girl, and only you can decide what is best for her. :bighug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Batmom is a wise lady.

I have no advice to offer, never having been where you are. I will keep you and your pupper in my thoughts, and hope for many many pain free days for you to enjoy together.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest trevdog

I agree with Batmom as well, although I would consider at least trying the chemo a bit and see if a round or two has any effect or if she has problems with it. They say she may have a year, but what if the chemo could extend that longer? Obviously they don't know for sure how much time. It would depend for me on how she handles it or how a few rounds work for her in slowing the disease and what her quality of life would be. From my understanding chemo doesn't affect dogs the same way as people and they don't get as sick.

Guest IrskasMom

Hugs :grouphug:grouphug Hugs :grouphug:grouphug and more :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

First of all.... I am so sorry what you and Artemis is going through. Treasure the Time you have with her

and keep her as Comfortable as possible . Good Luck

Batmom, thank you very much. The surgeon said that if we were to do surgery, but not chemo we would be wasting her time. He firmly believes that since the lymph node is infected that it's spread everywhere.

Trevdog, according to the cancer doctor chemo is not as harsh per se but preventing every cell in your body from reproducing just does not sound good to me.

signature.jpg

Trevdog, according to the cancer doctor chemo is not as harsh per se but preventing every cell in your body from reproducing just does not sound good to me.

That was our -- Batman's and mine -- very limited experience. We knew from the beginning that he wouldn't have long, but there was a chemo drug that might temporarily shrink his mass and make him more comfy for a short time. So we decided to give it a try. It didn't make him sick, but it dropped his white count so low that he had to have antibiotics. For the first time in his life with me, the antibiotics made him sick. Fortunately that only lasted a few days but it made me mad -- at myself, really, for causing him discomfort that wasn't necessary or helpful. As if I'd stolen days that could have been good ones for him. Silly, but that's what I felt at the time.

So, my views are colored by that, as well as my dad's going through chemo right now.

The chemo your docs suggest could have different side effects and different benefits.

Sometimes I think the hardest thing in the world is to say no to treatment. We humans equate that to giving up, and we don't like to give up.

I don't think there are any right answers in stuff like this. Every pup -- and her people -- is a different case and has a different tolerance for risk and medicine.

Keeping you and your lovely girlie in my thoughts.

Sometimes I think the hardest thing in the world is to say no to treatment. We humans equate that to giving up, and we don't like to give up.

That's exactly right. Neither the surgeon nor the cancer doctor said that she would be cured. The surgeon painted a more bleak picture for us because the lymph node has been infected. He also said the other feels that it's infected too.

I DO feel like not having any treatment is giving up but after talking with the surgeon it feels less like that. I know this cancer will take her because it's infected the lymph node so badly, and both doctors agree about that issue. She is not experiencing pain and nothing internal is infected. The lymph nodes are what's causing everyone the most worry. They would have to remove the tumors on her side and have one looong stitch and remove one lymph node and now possibly the other.

I'm not sure she would want to spend half of her life healing from these surgeries and the other recovering from chemo.

Edited by Ozziemydoggy

signature.jpg

Some dogs handle chemo very well. Did they give the option of chemo only, no surgery?

I've not been a fan of amputations and chemo, however, that said, Max passed the 2 yr mark in February, was diagnosed with more cancer end of last summer and is doing well on pain meds. I saw him Sunday and was amazed at how bright eyed and bushy tailed he is considering every day is a gift!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits