Swelling In The Leg

Well Artemis is doing great in the pain department. :) She's starting to swell in the offending leg. Should we see about getting something to bring the swelling down?

Edited by Ozziemydoggy

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Dr. Couto/OSU

Prayers for Artemis :hope

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest trevdog

Get all the info you can right now and send it to Dr Couto. That will at least be a start, he may be able to contact/consult with the oncologist with info as needed too, that is what he did with me, and I think helped get them on the ball with a definite diagnosis. I do know clean margins are important with this type of cancer, not sure what to excpect if there are more of them though.

Sending lots of prayers.

Edited by trevdog

Guest trevdog

Do a Google search for more info as I haven't dealt with it but a neighbor has with one of her dogs(non-grey). Clean margins means they go in and remove the lump/s and take a good margin around it of tissue or whatever and send it off for biopsy. That helps keep the tumor from maybe reappearing there, not always but many times. Mass cell is more easily treated than other types of cancers in most cases unless it has already spread too much. But again I'm not an expert.....

I would get as much info from your vet and send it to OSU, they are pretty quick about getting back to you. Get an appt ASAP with the oncologist your vet mentioned and also OSU may be able to refer you. I would rather know as much as I could sooner than wait.

Google "Mast Cell Tumor" and you'll find a lot. Depending on the stage of this, this can be a very treatable thing with surgery. It all has to do with whether it had metastasized (spread to organs) or not.

You need to ask your vet who did the lump removal if she felt she got it all (though I am guessing not since she is referring you to an oncologist). Your oncologist will hopefully have a better beside manner and you will learn all you need to know!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

All of the ones I can see can easily be pulled away from the skin. The vet did not mention anything about spreading to other parts of the body. So hopefully that is good news. Thank you for the correction about mass vs. mast. It's kind of hard to tell the difference over the phone. :)

This is Artemis's second tumor, the first happened two years ago and was located very close to the lymph node. That one did have clean margins and as of right now, there may be a small something there but it has been the same size and texture for almost a year.

signature.jpg

OSU and the oncologist will need to know what grade of mast cell tumor it is. That should be reported on the biopsy report. Send/fax all bloodwork and biopsy results to both the oncologist or OSU for the most information. Grade 1 MCTs need nothing more then surgery. Grade 3 are MUCH more aggressive and generally require additional treatment. Grade 2s can act either like grade 1 or grade 3s and are harder to decide. The oncologist will be able to guide you though.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I just read about grades! Okay, I'm getting the paperwork today! Hopefully, it won't be a Grade 3, but since she's talking about chemo that's what I think it is.

Editing to add: HOWEVER! I am going to be positive and say that it doesn't seem like it's infected any interior regions because she is SOOOOO active. Ever since we had the tumor removed she is bouncy-bunny girl. :bounce1

Edited by Ozziemydoggy

signature.jpg

Guest benson

My experience with MCTs is with my retriever mix, Buttercup. She has had several MCTs removed. The first two were removed a little more than 2 years ago about a month after I pulled her from the pound. The pathology report graded them at Stage 2 without clean margins. She had too many tumors to be a candidate for radiation. We decided against chemotherapy after several discussions with our vet who had just lost his 10 yr old retriever to MCTs. However, we were told that Prednisone could be considered a form of chemotherapy. She takes it every day along with milk thistle for liver support.

Two years have passed since her first surgery. Butter has had several more tumors removed with the most recent about a month ago. The most recent X-rays of her lungs and abdomen indicate it has not spread internally. She's a pretty happy dog.

Follow through with the oncologist and Dr Cuoto. MCTs can be treated and most likely cured. It's not necessarily a death sentence.