Constant Clearing Of Throat

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

Trouble isn't having difficulty breathing. She's getting air and doesn't seem distressed.

She keeps clearing her throat like she has something stuck or an itch. I made her drink some water and she seems better. Has anyone else had this? I'm wondering if it was just some grass... :dunno

Try feeding her a slice of damp (not sopping wet) bread. If there's something like grass stuck in her throat, that'll usually carry it on down.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Daisy will do this on occasion, and I too, have her drink water. I think it might have to do with allergies, though, since we are in the midst of a nasty pollen season.

The other thought I had was maybe it could be acid reflux.. but not sure. If Daisy did it more often, I would feel a greater sense of urgency.

Edited by jodyksam

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest ScubaHound

Dodger does this occasionally. It sounds like he has a post-nasal drip that he's trying to clear. I'm guessing it's related to allergy season.

Guest greybookends

Tasha recently started doing this. She doesn't appear to be in any distress and doesn't behave any differently than normal.

Brandy does this cough which sounds like an 80 year old man. Just one, like a throat clearing. It actually scares me, since she is 12 and she only started doing this the past few weeks. It is interesting in that so many are responding. I thought it was an age thing, but apparently not.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest sknydog

Go does that and has for as long as I can remember....sounds like a cat hacking up a HUGE hairball and like an old man clearing his throat REALLY loudly all at the same time!!! :blink: Scares guests but I'm used to it.

Jen Wink does this every spring... hacking and constant rubbing of her head and eyes. Seasonal allergies!

Birdie does it as well, but not to the degree Wink does.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest HersheysMom

Yes - Hershey certainly does this. He goes "AcK!" out of nowhere. And I've always described it as an old man clearing his throat. It does also sound like a cat harking up a hairball as someone already noted! He started doing it a couple years ago (around age 9) Doesn't seem distressing to him, and now I'm used to it, so I don't worry about it. I warn sitters that he does this so they aren't surprised, because it is a very LOUD noise, although brief.

Iceman has done this for a while, for him it is a paralyzed larynx, but Trouble is still very young so I wouldn't think that is what hers is. If it clears up after allergy season is over, it is probably just allergies.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan has done this on walks lately. He is only 2 years old and has not had any problems before, so I assumed it was allergies.

• 6 years later...

My 8 year-old Wendy has begun doing this 'haaaack' sound; somewhere between a cough and a throat clearing. Of course, my mind is already going to the bad place - megaesophagus, paralyzed larynx, cancer. The fact that she's frequently declining breakfast doesn't help ease my mind. The vet appointment has already been made, but any insight from GT'ers is always appreciated.

Praying it's just springtime allergies! :hope

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest OPointyDog

Is it a reverse sneeze? Also known as Pharyngeal Gag Reflex.... Both of mine do this and it sounds like a horrible asthma attack, but turns out to be caused by a spasm in their soft palate. They sound scary but aren't typically dangerous.

Here's a YouTube video of one.

Her appointment is for tomorrow at 11:20 a.m. It's not a reverse sneeze; I'm familiar with those. From what I've learned here and online, it sounds more like Bordatella, which is puzzling because she is vaccinated against it and she doesn't socialize with groups of dogs.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Please keep us posted. Grace was doing this too and I never got to the bottom of it. I'm curious if your vet finds anything or has any leads. We did X-rays and an ultrasound that revealed nothing.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Well, we ended up going to the ER. Wendy's breathing became labored and she was in obvious distress. The vet did a complete blood work-up and took x-rays a her whole body - nose to tail. Heart and lungs sound good and look good on x-ray. All other organs look fine. Musculoskeletal, perfect. Temp. normal. I mentioned the possibility of laryngeal paralysis so we peered down her throat and discovered that Wendy has tonsillitis. I never knew dogs could get that! OK, that explains the coughing and panting (restricted airway) but then, to make things really exciting, Wendy pees blood tinged urine. Not bright red; more orange-ish. So we get a sample for urinalysis, too.

Long story short, she's staying overnight to get intravenous antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, analgesics and something to flush out her urinary system.

Please pray for my girl. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Guest grey_dreams

Good thing you got the treatment started already. With the antibiotics and IV flush she should be doing much better soon. Sending lots of prayers for a rapid recovery :grouphug

Thank you all for your prayers. I spoke to the vet briefly this morning and she said that Wendy was doing well - spends most of the time sleeping in her crate - How unusual! :P There has been no more bloody urine - :clap or coughing - :banana They're going to keep her awhile longer until all the labs come back. Most likely Wendy will come home tonight with antibios and an antihistamine. :pepper

Just because inquiring minds want to know, I did some research last night regarding Greys, tonsillitis, labored breathing and bloody urine. In the book Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound and various sites online (notably Greyhound Data) there is a correlation between all of these symptoms. The dog licks an infected vagina, sheath, or wounds. The bacteria from this infects the tonsils which in turn causes a UTI with blood-tinged, orange-ish urine. [Not] coincidentally Wendy has been licking wounds on her feet which she gets frequently from racing around the yard. The tonsillitis can cause labored breathing/excessive panting because the inflamed tonsils constrict the airway and the irritation causes coughing.

Fascinating stuff. Please keep my old girl in your prayers that nothing serious pops up. I'm so blessed to have my GT family!

Edited by LaFlaca