Panacur For Tape Worms?

OK - I have not heard of using panacur for tape. I've been told it does not get tape. So, imagine my surprise to come upon this product:

Panacur C Canine Dewormer for the treatment and control of roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms.

Panacur (fenbendazole) is used to treat hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, and whipworms in dogs. Panacur is to treat other parasites as well. Panacur is available as 1gm, 2gm and 4gm powder packets. The usual dose is one packet, based on weight, once a day for 3 consecutive days.

Panacur can be mixed with a small amount of the animals usual food.

Allivet

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Tenderhearts

For the larger breed dogs, 50+ pounds, my vet has been using Panacur for years for tapes. It's actually the horse dewormer and the dog gets 1/3 tube a day for 3 days. It's safe and effective, and I have used it on my larger dogs. Raven had a bad case of tapeworms the first time my oldest daughter brought her to me for a stay, and the panacur cleared them right up.

Guest SillyDog

When Prancer had tapes two years ago, our vet (very grey savy) gave him panacur. One dose and the tapes were gone. So it works just fine!

I believe that Panacur will kill one type of tapeworm, but not all.

Panacur is effective against taenia species tapeworms, but most dogs will have a different type, diplydium. Can't find any reference to any meds other than praziquantal (Drontal/Droncit) being effective against diplydium. See for example: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1596

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My regular vet uses Drontal for tapes and Panacur for the other worms.

Another vet I saw gave both... one was given that evening and the other a month later.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest SillyDog

Well, now I'm wondering if it was Panacur or Droncit I got when one of mine had tapeworms.....wish I kept better track of my receipts so I could go look!

Do you have to have a Vet Prescription for Panacur . Just curious ! :)

Nope, and because my dogs are around a lot of other dogs on a regular basis (and the poo from those dogs too) I usually dose with Panacur every 6 months or so....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I believe that Panacur will kill one type of tapeworm, but not all.

Panacur is effective against taenia species tapeworms, but most dogs will have a different type, diplydium. Can't find any reference to any meds other than praziquantal (Drontal/Droncit) being effective against diplydium. See for example: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1596

Exactly!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Ok, so now with that new info...Teddy and hook worms.

Teddy was on Panacur for 3 days, he still had worms. So he was put back on for 10 days.He finished 2 days ago.

We saw a worm yesterday, but we weren't sure if it were alive or not. I've been told you can't see hook altho we see worms. They are flat, someone said maybe tape as well as hook.

If the panacur is OK for the hook and tape, he should be OK?

I guess we will watch the poop (lovely) and just retest in a week.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You want Droncit or Drontal, not Panacur, for tapes. If you saw a flat white worm, he has tapeworms. They aren't dead, and what you gave him a couple days ago won't kill them going forward.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can I ask a 'silly' question then? If Drontal kills all worms and Panacur only kills some of them......why does anyone use Panacur and not just Drontal all the time? My girl went for her annual injections this week and worming tabs. The vet also said we should use Drontal as Panacur didn't deal with everything. I'm in the UK so maybe there is a difference?

Sue from England

Drontal/Droncit is more costly and is specific for tapeworms. Panacur is cheap but does not treat the common dog tapeworm. Drontal Plus contains both meds but again is more expensive -- if you don't have tapeworms, no reason to go to the expense.

(edited after checking a reference or two)

Edited by Batmom

Ok, so now with that new info...Teddy and hook worms.

Teddy was on Panacur for 3 days, he still had worms. So he was put back on for 10 days.He finished 2 days ago.

We saw a worm yesterday, but we weren't sure if it were alive or not. I've been told you can't see hook altho we see worms. They are flat, someone said maybe tape as well as hook.

If the panacur is OK for the hook and tape, he should be OK?

I guess we will watch the poop (lovely) and just retest in a week.

To add to what Batmom said, you'll also want to worm once, then again 21 days later. This way, you catch all life stages of the worm. Good luck! :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Live worms on todays walk.

I'm switching meds and vets!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Drontal/Droncit is more costly and is specific for tapeworms. Panacur is cheap but does not treat the common dog tapeworm. Drontal Plus contains both meds but again is more expensive -- if you don't have tapeworms, no reason to go to the expense.

(edited after checking a reference or two)

Thanks Batmom. I think tapes are the most common over here and we don't have some of the others that you do over there, so that does make sense.

Sue from England

Guest KennelMom

I've never used panacur for tapes. Track dogs get panacur and a specific de-wormer for tapes, not drontal, but the name escapes me (must go get coffee!)

Can I ask a 'silly' question then? If Drontal kills all worms and Panacur only kills some of them......why does anyone use Panacur and not just Drontal all the time? My girl went for her annual injections this week and worming tabs. The vet also said we should use Drontal as Panacur didn't deal with everything. I'm in the UK so maybe there is a difference?

Drontal is EXPENSIVE! :blink: Panacur works pretty darn well...just doesn't get tapes, which you don't need to de-worm for if your dog doesn't have them. In fact, we don't de-worm on a regular basis anyway. Only if someone comes up positive on a fecal or I visually see worms, etc...

Drontal is EXPENSIVE! :blink:

Maybe I should look into that.....actually I didn't get a receipt from the vet so I don't know what it cost. I paid £35 ( around $70 I think) for her annual health check-over, annual booster jab and 3 Drontal Plus tabs, so I didn't think that was too bad, to be honest.

Sue from England

Guest KennelMom
Drontal is EXPENSIVE! :blink:

Maybe I should look into that.....actually I didn't get a receipt from the vet so I don't know what it cost. I paid £35 ( around $70 I think) for her annual health check-over, annual booster jab and 3 Drontal Plus tabs, so I didn't think that was too bad, to be honest.

IIRC, the last time we drontal'd our pack (for whips) the pills were $8-$10 each. Reasonable if you have a handful of dogs...but with multiples like we have it gets very pricey, very quickly - esp when compared to panacur which is a fraction of the price and if you have to do multiple rounds. Though...drontal has the benefit of being much easier to give than panacur (we use liquid). So...I guess it's kind of a toss up for me. If I had to de-worm the whole pack, we'd do panacur first and drontal would be a back up if we still had issues. Also, our vet doesn't stock drontal, only panacur so it's easier for us to get it from him if we need to.

Panacur also removed giardia cysts, which Drontal plus doesn't, but if you know your dog has giardia you're probably going to treat with metronidazole anyway. So which one you use depends on a number of factors. As Meredith said, we deworm with drontal plus, but our vets all LOVE panacur. I have to explain to each of them when they want to prescribe panacur why it's perfectly reasonable for us to just use our stock of Drontal plus instead. I cannot tell you how many don't even realize that drontal plus exists. They're only aware of drontal, which does not cover everything panacur does. For us, it's easier to get the drontal plus at a reasonable price (though still quite expensive for us) and we deworm all of our dogs when they come and 21 days later since so many come in with worms anyway.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest paulamariez

My boy Tiger just had a tape worm a couple weeks ago and the vet gave him Drontal. When my boys all had hookworms, they had the Panacur. The Drontal worked like a charm, although Tiger wasn't too enthusiastic to eat for about a day after taking his dose. But by the next day he was back to his old chow hound self.

OK. UPDATE TIME.

We brought the worm into the vet and it's amazing how YOU guys were able to diagnose it being a tape by descrpition, but by a stool sample, it was missed. I TOLD THE VET we COULD SEE THEM. THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS NOT JUST HOOK.

We did 5 pills each dog last night of Drontal (SP) and I'm switching back to orginal vet.