Jordan Has Hge!

Guest jordansmom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Brother's dog just got over having HGE and she almost died! Please make sure they don't try to send her home! She should remain hospitalized for at least 3 to 4 days with IV fluid therapy(at least that is what we were made to understand.) The Vet kept sending my Brother's dog home and she kept getting worse and worse...he brought her over for me to watch her while he went to work and I took her right in to the vet when I saw her condition! They finally got it under control but she should have remained hospitalized for at least 3-4 days. Praying your hound pulls thru...most do with proper treatment! The bad part is once they get it they have a higher chance for it to come back :( I guess it is supposed to be a rare condition but I know at least 4 dogs that have had it recently.

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest paulamariez

Poor baby Jordan. I'm sending you loads of love, light and prayers from me and my whole pack. What a horrible and scary thing to have happen! I pray for a quick and complete recovery for Jordan.

Praying she will respond to treatment and start getting better. :grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm adding my prayers for Jordan's full recovery!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes! :bighug Romansperson, what you wrote is definitely food for thought. We have only had Jordan for about a year also. She IS on Interceptor, so I'm thinking that a hookworm infection is not likely. I'll have the vet check just in case. Jade1046, I agree with you 100%, and the vet has said that she's going to do an abdominal ultrasound on Jordan if she is not better by tonight.

No, I haven't called my adoption group, but I'll definitely let them know.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Penny

JC was on Interceptor as well, but that is not enough to eliminate a hookworm infestation - the amount of medication in heartworm preventative is really quite small. JC was a FL dog; born, raised and raced there, where hookworm can be a real problem. Brood mamas who are infected can pass the worm on to their pups. Hookworms can encyst themselves in tissues, where it can be impossible to kill them until they become active again. JC had had negative stool tests prior to his crisis, too, so don't count on a stool test to be definitive - hookworms shed eggs in cycles, so it's perfectly possible to test at the wrong time when eggs aren't being shed. Dogs will hookworm also need to be wormed repeatedly - usually 10 days after the first time, then a month later, 3 months after that, etc.

Hookworms

I hope Jordan is better very soon!

Pharoah had HGE while I was visiting in Colorado. I took him in within 2 hrs of onset and with IV therapy and antibiotics he recovered within 2 weeks. It was one of the most terrifying events I've ever had with him and going to an unfamiliar vet didn't help any.

My Emmy had it last year. She spent 3 days at the vet on IV's and receiving large doses of antibiotics. She was very dehydrated by the time we got her to the vet and she had only started vomiting that morning and we had her at the vet's by noon. She made a full recovery and came home like nothing ever happened.

Good thoughts for your sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jordansmom

Quick update: Jordan just got out of the hospital with 2 antibiotics and a lengthy, complicated meds/diet schedule we're supposed to follow. The vet DOES say to watch for signs of relapse in the next 72 hours and to bring her in immediately if she starts having diarrhea/vomiting again or won't eat. She seems much better, but one of us will have to be home with her until at least Monday. We are both home with her today. Aaron will be home with her tomorrow. I'll be home with her the rest of the time.

Thanks again everybody for your thoughts and well-wishes!

Penny :gh_lay

Glad to hear Jordan is home. It's great you were able to get the time off to be with her too. I'm sure she appreciates it.

:getwell From Laura, Regan and Jordan's old training partner/kennelmate, Celeste.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest luluaz

Oh, thank heavens, I was afraid to look at the most recent news-

So glad she is at home with you and will continue to improve.

Lots of prayers coming your way from Phoenix.

Lisa

Guest jordansmom

Quick update: Jordan has not had diarrhea or vomiting since she got home, and she is now eating voraciously and has her energy back.

Thanks again for all of your prayers and well-wishes!!

Penny :bighug

Guest Tenderhearts
Quick update: Jordan has not had diarrhea or vomiting since she got home, and she is now eating voraciously and has her energy back.

Thanks again for all of your prayers and well-wishes!!

Penny :bighug

WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Guest greytexplorer

Been nearly a week----please update us on your pup's health.

And---how has it been for YOU and AARON??

Best,

Pat