Johnny O Boy

Guest greytlady

Guest greytlady

Johnny was a big red boy that just never seemed to be the one picked at meet and greets. All the volunteers fell in love with his gentle manner and his little fold over ears, but a home all his own was not to be. Johnny raced 158 races in Florida before he came to the kennel. I always called him the "Arnold" of greyhounds as he was one big boy, but he was the perfect gentleman. Johnny was having trouble with his rear end over the last month. He stayed at the vets several times, seemed to rally then would go down again. This last week was his worst. Johnny had his own ideas how things should be done, his bed had to be just right and he was the fastest pee'er in the house. Rushing out like he was breaking from the box, getting the job done and back in with the speed of light. Many times I would fuss at him and make him go back outside to get all his jobs done. He was so upset and embarrassed that he was making messes in his crate and the last few days he just whined quietly. I loaded him up for his last trip to the vet and told him that it was post time once again. When he broke from the box he would be able to run faster and faster till he was flying. His legs would work once again and all his pain and discomfort would be gone. Johnny ran his last race with his head laying in my lap in a sunbeam coming thru the window. As I watched his eyes dim I knew he was in a much better place. He had reached the Rainbow Bridge where everyone is healed and happy. While he will never miss not having his own home I missed it for him.

God speed my big red boy till we meet again.

post-8382-1172499301.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Sara.. You do such wonderful work for the hounds..

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

Guest fitznpup
:f_pink I am so very sorry. It is good to know he is in a better place although those of us left behind are left to struggle with his loss. Again, I am so sorry. He sounds like he was a wonderful guy...and even though he didnt have an official home you were his mom and gave him all the home he needed.

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest vahoundlover

*sigh* Sara, there are soo many emotions running through me right now...doG how I loved Johnny. :weep:weep I could never understand how he could be passed up time and again. :( You gave him love and the best gift of all....you set him free. :grouphug:grouphug

Run free Johnny, you will always be in our hearts. :f_red:gh_run:f_red

btw..thanks for cutting my head off. :rolleyes::lol

Guest bowiebears

I am so sorry. He sounds like such a sweetheart....thank you for loving him so much.

I am consoled by a little story my sister-in-law sent a while back (which of course i cannot now locate in my email!). When the 4-year-old boy, whose dog had died, was asked by his mother about what he thought about his pet's death, he said: "God puts us on earth to learn how to love and be nice to others. Dogs know that already so they don't have to stay as long."