Is This True?

Guest BooMooandDoo

Is it broken?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Can a dog put weight on a broken limb

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
  2. 2. Should we go to the vet today or wait?

• Wait
    • Go
    • Dunno

Guest BooMooandDoo

Truman and Tuck collided last night at full speed, and Tru hurt his leg. I gave him a rimidyl and waited. 2 hours went by and he had troubles lying down, sitting, and just stood around crying. So I took him to the evet. . . .

After 2 hours of waiting the vet came in. . .said, "It's not broken, he's putting weight on it," Gave him a pain injection and charged me $116. She said even the most "stoic" dogs won't put weight on a break.

I've never heard this. . ..

I'm debating whether to take him to the vet today or not. He's limping but is finally able to lay down without a death scream. (I won't go into how my night was ;) ) He's on rimidyl and tramadol for pain. His leg is a bit swollen, and it looks like he hurts most at the knee. . .

We're off to Solvang next week, and I want to make sure he's okay before the trip. . .

Should I wait or should I go to the vet?

Go to a vet.

I wouldn't take a chance or trust an evet (personal experience).

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

If he is doing a bit better this morning I would wait. Unless there is a bunch of swelling and he is in distress. Breaks hurt! He likely wouldn't be lying around very comfortably if he broke it. However, with that being said, you know your dog best. If you would feel comfort in taking him to your own vet cuz you don't trust the evet then by all means go. It would be worth it just for peace of mind.

Guest Scouts_mom

If his leg is swollen, I would take him to the vet. The drugs are probably masking the pain. :bighug:getwell Even if it is a soft tissue injury, it may need to be imobilized.

Guest greybookends

If he has a hairline fracture I think he would still be able to bare weight on it and if it is not taken care of it could become a true break. I would go to the vet for my own peice of mind. I hope all is well for Truman :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

If he has a hairline fracture I think he would still be able to bare weight on it and if it is not taken care of it could become a true break. I would go to the vet for my own peice of mind. I hope all is well for Truman :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I was going to say the same thing re: hairline fracture. I think they can - he might be toe-touch lame, but might still be putting *some* weight on the leg. I'd go and get an x-ray for peace of mind.

If it's the knee, he may have torn the ACL, which would be very painful. Yeah, I'd go to a vet, just in case. I think paying an office visit and/or x-ray is worth it.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest SillyDog

I fostered a grey who had a badly broken front leg - broken several times in fact - and a whole bunch of hardware. She was able to jump a 6 foot fence with all of that wrong. There's no way she could have jumped that high without putting a lot of weight on that broken leg. She refused to stay off the leg most of the time, as well.

Hope your guy's ok.

Edited by SillyDog

It depends on the break. There are several smaller ways to break a hock where a dog can be weight-bearing. It also depends on the dog and if they're determined to keep going. When Louis broke his leg (complete break of the radius and ulna), he kept going and actually had pretty good speed, all things considering.

Lynn

Guest ohgreyt

Poor pupper. Take him to the vet to be sure!! It will make you feel better to see someone you trust. Why didn't the idiot evet take an xray to be sure?

Gross example of a dog putting weight on broken legs:

02-Fyveystanding-flatwrists.jpg

This is Fyvie, she came to GAC with 2 badly broken legs, she had been a stray in the valley, fending for herself...on those legs. She did have surgery and made an amazing recovery and is living in a super awesome home now :)

But, yes, dogs can most definitely put weight on broken legs. :(

Dear broke the quarterbone in his right front leg & even though he screamed bloody murder & I heard the break, he kept running & playing. I called my vet (after hours) and he said come on up. By the time I got there toes & pads were swollen but he was still trying to run & play...xrays showed it was broken. My vet kept him over night, slightly sedated & Gers was going to be there for a while anyway, but this was to get him settled from the pain.

I would NOT take him out of town or a special event until I had him xrayed by my own vet!

Snowy is a broken hock survivor & although she doesn't put a lot of weight on that leg (broken 8 yrs ago) she still runs on it & jumps over & on to couches & beds....but its completely healed.

Guest BooMooandDoo

The vets earliest appt is tomorrow. I will be going home early to check on Tru, and may make an appt with another vet. We're in transition, so we really don't have a "good" vet lined up. I will keep you updated.

Guest PhillyPups

Dogs have been known to finish a race on a broken leg. Yes they can put weight on them.

My rule of thumb is if I am concerned enough to ask a lot of people on a message board if I should see a vet or not, then I should probably go to the vet :P

Guest BooMooandDoo
I personally would wait at least 3 days and look what happens...

I just got home and Tru's doing much better. He got up on the couch without my help :D

He's minor limping. . . .

So we're going to wait. He's on major pain killers, so I'll see what he's like when the meds wear off. . .

Thanks for the support.

If it were my dog, I'd take him in for any injury severe enough to require Rimadyl--I don't like to give pain killers without knowing what's going on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

In my opinion, the worst thing you can do is give pain medication without knowing what is wrong. It masks the problem and could cause him to overdo making things worse.

I hope it's a simple soft tissue injury.

If it were my dog, I'd take him in for any injury severe enough to require Rimadyl--I don't like to give pain killers without knowing what's going on.

Tru did go to the E-Vet :)

Glad he is better!! :f_white:bighug

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com