Is This True?

Guest BooMooandDoo

Is it broken?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Can a dog put weight on a broken limb

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
  2. 2. Should we go to the vet today or wait?

• Wait
    • Go
    • Dunno

Guest BooMooandDoo
If it were my dog, I'd take him in for any injury severe enough to require Rimadyl--I don't like to give pain killers without knowing what's going on.

The pain killers were prescribed by the evet.

I've also known of dogs who will get up from a collision during a race and finish the entire race on a broken leg. I'd definately have it x-rayed!

edited to add: a broken front leg is much more painful than a back leg, so I've been told.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have no point of reference on dogs, but when I had a hariline fracture in my shoulder (the "ball" of the ball and socket joint) I COULD NOT even move it one millimeter without crying! (I was living in London with a bunch of relative strangers, and I couldn't put a bra on without assistance!) It was pretty intense pain, until the pain killers kicked in. Even on pain killers, I still couldn't move it, althought I felt great and still went to dance clubs, of course!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest FordRacingRon

For people, I once broke my elbow and took a day to figure it out because I thought I had just hurt it and put myself on painkillers, I broke a wrist and knew it 1 second after it happened, no pain killer could have helped that. When Leias leg was tore up by the pitbull last October the vet said even though she was half limping on it it could be broken so we xrayed,,,the only way to tell. It wasn't,,but I am a hypochondriac with my health, therefore Leias. I would get an xray somewhere or I wouldn't be able to sleep, but I would suppose an evet would know what they were talking about so it could wait till tomorrow.

Guest OurGreytLife

I can't believe an x-ray wasn't done at the e-vet. Why? Anyway, if it were my dog he'd be at the vet for an x-ray ASAP. Hope everything turns out OK. Did the e-vet tell you to restrict all activity & rest that leg (no stair or furniture climbing, walking around unnecessarily) and do a leash walks in the yard for potty breaks? This is so your dog isn't running and making things worse.