Squaw (boxout Squaw)

krissn333

One of our broodie mamas left for the Bridge yesterday...she came to us after being (IMO) overbred...her hips were out of joint, she walked funny, and though she was only 8 years old, she was worn out (one of our families has a 14 year old that walked the same way Squaw did). She still found a way to have enough spunk to be a sweetheart and seek out attention and hugs. She was thin when we got her and didn't seem to want to eat regularly in the kennel, so one of our WONDERFUL volunteers took her home for some TLC.

Nina had her about a month, and during that time she began to eat regularly and became part of Nina's pack, consisting of another former broodie and a sweet old gentleman who was returned to the group some time ago. Squaw was really coming out of her shell and would greet Nina at the door with the other two, but over the past couple of days, Nina had had to go find her laying in the house. :(

She went to the vet yesterday after her tummy started looking distended and she had gone back to her finicky eating habits and had started having some diarrhea. Turns out Squaw had an abdominal mass and a belly full of fluid. Not wanting to let her suffer anymore, the decision was made to send her to the Bridge so she could be happy again.

I am so thankful to Nina for opening her heart and her home to this sweet old girl...she didn't get to stay long but I know that her time there made all the difference in the world for her.

Godspeed, sweet girl, we all loved you like our own :gh_run

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:f_pink:f_pink

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Tenderhearts

Please pass my condolences on to Nina, and may God hold all of your aching hearts in his hands. :grouphug

Run free, sweet Squaw!

Edited by Tenderhearts

It makes my heart feel better knowing that Squaw knew such love in her last times on Earth. Run free.

Edited by ramamama

Jayme with Pippi (the scaredy-beagle)
In the memories of all of my Bridge-babies I'd like to remind people to choose adoption--and that it's not just dogs and cats that are available!

Oh my, how terribly sad. I'm glad she got to spend some time on a couch, but it wasn't long enough. Many thanks go out to Squaw's foster family for opening their hearts and home to Squaw.

Godspeed Squaw sweetie, you were loved and will be missed.

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

Hugs,

Carla