Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

Guest burgerandfrey

I finally voted - we muzzle inside of fenced areas most of the time. Since we adopted our greyhounds Zeke and Lola last Summer, I wanted to wait awhile to see what our habit ended up being. Our previous grey was an only dog, so she got to run unmuzzled. We took her to places where she could chase her tennis ball by herself, so we usually didn't have to worry about other dogs either. Fortunately we have always been good at finding totally fenced in fields.

Back to Zeke and Lola. These two get along well, but have very different personalities. Zeke is almost six and raced for two years. He has a strong prey drive, loves to chase the tennis ball, and he is a very solidly built grey. Lola is a 3 year old who is much smaller and lightly built. She has a tiny head and tiny neck, and everything about her is more streamlined. She is quite a contrast to our previous grey who was a very large female with huge muscles. Lola is one of the sweetest and most gentle dogs I have ever met, but she loves to go fast. She doesn't seem to be prey-oriented... she just likes to run fast and she enjoys being chased by Zeke... until Zeke corners her. Zeke likes to intimidate Lola with alpha-male posturing when they play chase. Again they get along well...although Zeke will sometimes boss Lola around... making her move when she is sleeping somewhere he wants to sleep for example. Sometimes Zeke has a hard time keeping up with Lola, because her small frame can make hard turns more easily; but when he catches her he will sometimes grab her by the neck which scares her silly. He never bites or tries to drag her down. he just corners her so she slows to almost a stop and then either nips her or grabs her neck in his jaws and then releases. It's like he is saying, "Tag! You're It!" but instead of running away from her they both just stop as if that's the end of the game. Lola will sometimes yelp or shriek in fear, and then she won't want to run anymore.

So even though there has never been any blood shed between the two, we keep them muzzled while running so Zeke can't grab Lola by the neck. When they are muzzled, Lola is much more comfortable and they chase each other until they get tired. When we are at home in our small yard we leave the muzzles off, because they don't have room to chase each other. They might jump around a little, and Lola has figured out how to run an obstacle course through the flower beds, but mostly they just hang out next to each other.

Sean

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Mine are never left alone, but when we used to both work, THEY WERE MUZZLED! We had a doggie door, and in addition to the muzzles on everyone, we'd give Ultra Calm Wafers to take the edge off them. When we travel, or we go for a ride in the van, THEY ARE MUZZLED.

MUZZLES ARE A GOOD THING FOR SURE! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

You "bumped" the thread back to the top just by responding to it. :)

For your pup with the too-large muzzle, is the problem the plastic "cage" part, or the strap?

It's the cage part (see pic). If I tighten the strap any more, it puts the cage over her eyes, and she can't see!

penmuzzle.jpg

You can purchase a small muzzle. Bebe has one because her face is so tiny. I bought it from Birdwell Enterprises and it fits perfectly over her small face.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• 4 weeks later...

We had my little Brindle not even a week and when the wife stepped into the bathroom, brindle followed. Red woke up saw brindle standing in the door way, he thought he was corning my wife so he pounced and shredded his front right. It lasted 2 seconds but the damage he caused...now he is a in a muzzle 20 hours a day, it's off to eat or when we all resting watching TV

Guest LindsaySF

We had my little Brindle not even a week and when the wife stepped into the bathroom, brindle followed. Red woke up saw brindle standing in the door way, he thought he was corning my wife so he pounced and shredded his front right. It lasted 2 seconds but the damage he caused...now he is a in a muzzle 20 hours a day, it's off to eat or when we all resting watching TV

It sounds like there is a deeper issue there that needs to be addressed. Muzzling one hound almost 24/7 is just a band-aid to the situation (and dangerous for the muzzled hound if the others are not muzzled). I would consult a trainer or behaviorist to work on this.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also strong proponent of using muzzles as a quick, easy safety precaution. They're worth their weight in gold!

We use muzzles for our hounds during all of the following potential risky times...

Inside fenced enclosures.

Multiple hounds in car.

When clipping or dremeling a sensitive Greyhound's nails.

When multi-hound play could escalate inside house.

When cleaning or tending to a wound.

When one hound is injured (or very sore), if in close quarters, all hounds get muzzled. (Any hound in pain is more apt to bite, starting a scuffle if their space is invaded, or they're stepped on by accident.)

Also, other dogs can become more apt to attack if a dog cries out in extreme pain.

Smart to muzzle dog if humans have to move any dog in pain.

Arrival of new fosters or visiting dogs.

When cat or small dog testing, and thereafter during adjustment periods.

(Muzzle guards made to fit on turnout muzzles to help stop hounds from eating feces, licking things, etc. look like a good invention, but I've not tried firsthand.)

Good poll topic, glad this resurfaced!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest aeroangie

The one that came with Otis is much softer (the plastic part) than the two I purchased over the internet. The plastic that comes into contact with his nose on the new ones is too hard. I'd like to buy another one (preferably black)that has the softer plastic.

Any ideas here?

Also, I am very glad to have seen the damage that could be inflicted. I keep one on Otis because of the cats and because he likes to eat poop, dead birds, lizards, bugs and of course frogs. Seems like he'd learn on the frogs as they are so nasty afterwards! :puke

Guest aeroangie

Bumping this to remind myself! They don't "seem" as "dangerous" because they are SOOOO domesticated. But we must remember that, though they may not feel this way towards humans now, we are fortunate!!!! I have owned Dobermans and I must remember that a Greyhound CAN be just as ferocious and COULD do quick and very real damage. We would all do well do remember they are descendants of wolves after all....LOL! (Not any of mine are though!)

Edited by aeroangie

• 2 weeks later...

I use mole skin on the muzzles to make it softer. You can buy it at target in the health area or even near the shoes. :) Some others use felt that they glue on. There are lots of different things you can use. Good luck :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I thought Greyhounds loved each other??? I just got one and was contemplating getting him a friend but now I am not so sure.

It has nothing to do with loving or not loving each other. They play rough and have thin skin. It's a recipe for large vet bills.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest LindsaySF

It's all about the thin skin. The thin (and tightly stretched) skin, short fur, and no fat layer is great for making a sleek, fast-moving dog. Not so great when it comes to being prone to skin injury and tearing.

My pit bulls play very rough. They chew on each other, drag each other around by the scruff, etc. Never had an injury. They have very thick skin and lots of loose skin and fat rolls, especially around the neck. The Greyhounds can't play like that, they would have gaping wounds and be at the vet needing staples.

Guest grammarules

I never even thought of muzzleing Shelby until my groomer came to my house and tried to clip her nails. She didn't want them done. Luckily she didn't break skin but, next time I take her to the groomer she'll be muzzled.

Guest ryeamans

Ouch that looks like it is painful! I just have one greyhound, so I don't muzzle him in the house at all when it's just him and me. I'll muzzle him when meeting up with friends with other dogs, but then take it off when they are all inside.

Guest Cardiffcouple

Oh my!

I hope that darling heals well! Nasty wound. In the poll I answered - in the yard! But that is my experience only, and it took almost a year to get there.

My two seem fine together uncrated in the house. They were not unhappy when crated, and that is what we did when Pilgrim was "new." I wanted them to graduate to being free to play and socialize in the house togetherwhile I was gone. They are fine now.

When they race together in the big yard they do get excited. So I muzzle in the yard. Just in case. Catwalk once got a tiny nick in the yard from playful Pilgrim. No biggie, no stitches, but I am very cautious. Therefore, I muzzle in the yard.

We do not muzzle in the car, because Catwalk has the back of the SUV and Pilgrim the middle seat. Catwalk does not like to share. They both wear seatbelts in the car.

That grey skin is so fragile. I really think that being over-cautious is best.

Gillian, Catwalk and Pilgrim.

I thought Greyhounds loved each other??? I just got one and was contemplating getting him a friend but now I am not so sure.

Most greyhounds DO love having a friend. I have fostered a lot, for a long time... easily over a hundred greyhounds. I have had only one who I thought would do better alone - and that was because of fear, fear-aggression IMHO is the worst.

I am the OP and I still have the three who I posted about four years ago, since then I have adopted three more - I lost one of them to cancer. We have had no more incidents like the one that began this thread. The original incident was because of my inexperience. Greyhounds are wonderful animals, they are very social - but as my friend Peggy said to me shortly after it happened, "When they want something, they want it!" This was not an attack - it was one quick bite - Pear was telling Bookie to "Drop it!" She did. I caused the entire mess by playing frisbee with three greyhounds. You do NOT put greyhounds in competition with each other, especially when they are running. When they are running in a big open area - MUZZLE, MUZZLE, MUZZLE.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add my story in here as another reminder, because I just learned the lesson the hard way also.

From day one, we muzzled both in the car. I knew that since Capri get snarky when they're in close quarters, we should muzzle them, no question. But we've been letting them have backyard potty breaks un-muzzled. Until today.

Several weeks ago, I gave each one a bone in the back yard and didn't supervise them. Really stupid, and I take 200% of the blame. I don't know who did what, obviously, but someone wanted somebody else's bone. I heard the bark/growl/yipe and went out the door to see Ajax loping along with his usual goofy tongue-smile, and Capri dripping blood out of her throat. Talk about scary! I held her and checked it and it was only a skin injury, not like a severed artery. Phew! She was eventually okay and healed quickly, but the followup was that for a couple days she was afraid to come up onto the deck to go in the house. She would cross it to go out just fine, and she seemed just fine around Ajax, not afraid. But once out, she couldn't come back in through the back yard. Isn't it funny the "lessons" they "learn" from such incidents? It was like she felt that she'd been punished for going onto the deck. Anyway, I helped her get over that, that the deck wasn't scary and she was indeed allowed onto it.

Now yesterday. Ugh. Having learned from the last time, I no longer give them yummies unsupervised. So yesterday there wasn't any resource to fight over. But a fight did break out. Capri's got a couple of deep punctures on her left shoulder. So, muzzles in the yard from now on, no exceptions.

It's also interesting how fast these things happen. Both incidents between my babies took between 2 and 5 seconds. They don't seem like fights so much as just one issuing a correction to the other. However, as Kamsmom pointed out, they are *so* easily punctured. Oh and yes, they get along great, 99.999999% of the time. I've noticed they also don't hold grudges on each other after these things happen. So anybody who reads this and feels scared away from getting a greyhound, don't. They're wonderful. They just take a teensy bit of extra care.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Another voice for the muzzle issue being NOT about greyhounds not getting along but about that thin skin, thin coat, and lack of subcutaneous lat layer. I've been muzzling in the yard and in the car since Spirit racked up an e-vet bill (probably an overreaction on my part) for stitches and a second round of stitches at my regular vet's when the e-vets stitches didn't hold. <_< MoMo snagged him with a tooth or nail while they were horsing around in the house. I was home, they weren't fighting, they didn't even scuffle. Yet with no particular fanfare, there was a 3/4 inch gash in Spirits side. No growls, no yelps and fussing and squabbling and yet there was an injury (relatively minor though it was). So pichick712, don't let this thread discourage you form thinking of multiple greyhounds. Greyhounds are special and this susceptibility to cuts is just one of the few less than positive aspects of that specialness.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I muzzle in the house when I'm not home; and yes they can get their muzzies off so I also run their tag collar through the back of the muzzle which keeps that from happening. I also muzzle when they are outside.

better safe than sorry. i don't have pictures, but do have the sad experience.

june

Guest TeddysMom

Right now with the nice weather, the back door is open with free access to the yard so they all have to wear their muzzles. They don't seem to mind one way or another and I feel much safer in case they hear something or get excited and take off for the back yard.

Guest Profgumby

<!--quoteo(post=3217595:date=Feb 19 2008, 10:32 PM:name=Nelsonismyhero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nelsonismyhero @ Feb 19 2008, 10:32 PM) 3217595[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno, I think all dogs at the park should be muzzled regardless of breed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. And until that happens I won't be visiting any dog parks. It's just too dangerous IMO.

There is no way we would take our Beauty to a dog park! There is no telling where her line is between another breed being just another dog friend or something to kill. She does not like small animals and there is no apparent line between friend or prey. Just depends on her mood! And I do not trust other dogs or their owners!

I have seen too many idiots who cannot control their dogs and spend the whole time chasing their dog like an idiot, yelling commands the whole time. And then there is the owner who brings the furry little yap yap dog into the large dog section or tells me that her little Fu Fu only wants to say hi to Beauty. And I tell them Beauty does not want to be friends with their doggie...little doggie Fu Fu is prey to her. The real issue here is I don't want to have to punch them in the throat after my dog kills their dog and they come at me!

This all being said, we have not muzzled either girl at any time. When they are in the yard they are supervised, though I do have to work with the boys about not letting them or getting the girls all whipped up. The more excited they get the better the chance for injury.

And I do have to get on making sure nails are trimmed often, and get a dremel or electric nail file to keep them blunted. I have even considered a dew claw wrap type thing as I am sure these are the most offending claws when it comes to injury from incidental contact.

When we are away the girls are in their respective crates. So no issue there. If they have to be unsupervised for any length of time, crates again! They don't seem to mind at all since they get treats every time they kennel up.

And we just do not give them certain chew toys etc...they do get Greenies and they love them, but they are gone so fast that there is never enough time for a dominance or "mine" issue to develop.

These are all lessons best learned from someone else! I am certainly taking this to heed!

Edited by Profgumby