Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

WE don't muzzle in the house or the yard but Tess has only been here two weeks if she decides that she would like to run in the yard with Chauncey then we will need to rethink the muzzles.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest UrsaLunar

We don't use muzzles. Thought we might need to just until Buddy could prove himself cat-safe, but within 1/2 hour of first coming into the house all three cats checked him out with no negative/chasing reaction from him what-so-ever. When our ol' biddy cat who doesn't fraternize with dogs touched noses with him we knew we had nothing to fear. Also, Buddy had a GREYT first meeting with our GSDs and they have been friendly and caring with each other ever since.

Have heard often "all dogs should be muzzled or no dog should be muzzled" in regards to a group of dogs or a family pack, and our two GSDs had never been muzzled. The closest we came to that was a Gentle Leader that only Gaia would accept, gentle Oskar was very assertive in letting us know that a thing on his face was unwelcome and should not be tried again. Oh yeah, and Buddy proved at the adoption group's reunion day - also his gotchya day - that he's a master at removing even the best adjusted muzzle by rubbing his head on people's butts.

So we've never muzzled, and our three dogs romp and play (outside, indoors is quieter time) with abandon. Buddy has been with us almost 3 months now and he just got his first "boo-boo" - from Gaia who is used to grabbing onto long-coat Oskar in play. She got Buddy's leg - trying to pull him down while wrastlin' - and was very surprised by the consequences! First the GSoD, then the boo-boo itself - she was VERY sorry, tried to clean it for him, whimpered even! She has been gentler since. Buddy is healed well enough that he's running full bore again and I notice that they have modified their play; more running and posturing, less wrastlin'. I love having smart dogs!

I'd like to think that experienced dog owners have a good idea what it is that their individual dogs need. For a new dog owner it is truly best to "err" on the side of caution!

PS - at the vet's office while Buddy's leg was being patched up he licked the Dr's neck as he bent over Buddy's leg! He is such a good soul that Buddy o'mine!

Edited by UrsaLunar

Guest LindsaySF
So we've never muzzled, and our three dogs romp and play (outside, indoors is quieter time) with abandon. Buddy has been with us almost 3 months now and he just got his first "boo-boo" - from Gaia who is used to grabbing onto long-coat Oskar in play. She got Buddy's leg - trying to pull him down while wrastlin'

This is exactly the type of injury that muzzles can prevent. If an injury has occurred already, odds are it will happen again. No one can force you to use muzzles, but I hope you realize the risk you are taking with your Greyhound. :(

My non-Greys are not used to wearing muzzles, and Cody especially refused to wear one. So Teagan gets let into the yard separately. It's just not worth the risk.

I'd like to think that experienced dog owners have a good idea what it is that their individual dogs need. For a new dog owner it is truly best to "err" on the side of caution!

Unfortunately, I think most dog owners have no idea what their dogs need. And I would like to think that ALL dog owners, regardless of experience level, would err on the side of caution. I'm starting to realize that that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

~Lindsay~

Guest D_MansMommy

I don't muzzle in the house. Outside it depends. First turn out in the morning no because they just want to pee and come inside for their breakfast. Other times during the day yes because they will run and get competetive. Nipping happens then. Last turn out at night no because they just want to pee and come in for their night nights feeding. That's just what works for us :)

Guest UrsaLunar

Lindsay, I think you missed the part about Gaia (and Buddy) having learned from the experience already.

Also, Buddy could have just as easily gotten a similar injury from running around our well wooded property, but we're not going to cut down all of our trees. The injury wasn't terrible, it just was, and now I know how to treat them myself when they're not bad like this.

For dogs that quarrel and snap quite a bit a muzzle is a very good thing. But for three dogs who get along as nicely as ours, dogs who can and do learn from experience and training, and who play with our young children so gently, I really don't want to do anything that could change that harmonious dynamic.

I hope that even folks who believe in muzzling can see the other side of the situation. :)

Guest LolasMom
I don't muzzle in the house. Outside it depends. First turn out in the morning no because they just want to pee and come inside for their breakfast. Other times during the day yes because they will run and get competetive. Nipping happens then. Last turn out at night no because they just want to pee and come in for their night nights feeding. That's just what works for us :)

We have the same approach here.

Guest mtnbluebird

I voted "Other". Folsom gets muzzled at the vet when they are doing unpleasant things to him, or anywhere he's forced to be near an unfamiliar nongreyhound dog, after I wait to see what his reaction is, and how well the other dog owner is restraining their dog (some people are oblivious). Other than that we only have one houndie, so no one to get into a fight with, and we don't have a fenced in back yard for him to run in.

Guest charmsmom
For dogs that quarrel and snap quite a bit a muzzle is a very good thing. But for three dogs who get along as nicely as ours, dogs who can and do learn from experience and training, and who play with our young children so gently, I really don't want to do anything that could change that harmonious dynamic.

I hope that even folks who believe in muzzling can see the other side of the situation. :)

Our dogs get along famously, indoors and out, too. But if one is crabby or gets carried away, they can still get injured. It's just not worth the risk.

Guest LokisMom

Our dogs get along famously, indoors and out, too. But if one is crabby or gets carried away, they can still get injured. It's just not worth the risk.

Same here, our dogs do not quarrel and rarely snap but they are dogs and it could happen and has, luckily they were muzzled.Usually when they do snap it is in play but it could still be a big problem given a greyhounds thin skin.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I hope those that don't muzzle never end up in the same position as the OP.

Guest annepres

Muzzle, muzzle, muzzle! my poor Edward has been bitten twice...fortunately they were not very $$ bites......but still. I have 2 Greys of my own, and if it is just them at home, I dont muzzle them at all, however I dog-sit AND foster....Everyone gets muzzled for the first few days (including my own) and if I have more than 3 dogs on the property...EVERYONE wears a muzzle to go outside. Today is a nice day, the back door is proped open, I have 11 dogs, every single one is wearing a muzzle...some are napping indoors...some are napping outdoors...but everyone is SAFE :)

my 2 cents...(ok...so I used more space than 2 cents worth!)

Anne

Guest charmsmom
I have 2 Greys of my own, and if it is just them at home, I dont muzzle them at all...

my 2 cents...(ok...so I used more space than 2 cents worth!)

Anne

Please, please still muzzle when you only have two. This happened when it was "only" my two... Set me back $225.

l_c750f47d0cfb4cebfad970bd82744a6d.jpg

Guest LindsaySF
For dogs that quarrel and snap quite a bit a muzzle is a very good thing. But for three dogs who get along as nicely as ours

Muzzling in the Greyhound world has little to do with quarreling, and much to do with that thin Greyhound skin and the high speeds of which Greyhounds are capable.

A nip (even a PLAYFUL one) + running fast + thin Greyhound skin = ER vet bills (and pain and suffering for the hound)

Obviously muzzling is a good idea for dogs that don't get along all that well. But with a Greyhound, with that paper thin skin, muzzling is a good idea for ALL dogs, no matter how well they get along.

I really don't want to do anything that could change that harmonious dynamic.

Let me tell you this from personal experience: Nothing will ruin a harmonious dynamic more than a dog fight will.

Buddy could have just as easily gotten a similar injury from running around our well wooded property, but we're not going to cut down all of our trees.

Obviously accidents happen (Teagan has gotten a boo boo of his own too). But you try to minimize the dangers as much as possible. For dogs running with a Greyhound, muzzling minimizes the danger of a stray tooth. For dogs running in a yard, removing shrubs, branches, posts, etc that can injure them minimizes the danger.

You don't have to cut down all of your trees. But if there are certain branches that pose a risk to Buddy, I would hope you would remove them. If there is a part of your property that is heavily wooded and has a lot of stray branches or brush that can damage that thin Greyhound skin, I would hope you would reconsider letting Buddy run there.

~Lindsay~

Guest weisster

I'll join the many horror stories. A friend and I had a playday every weekend with our dogs. They were always sweet and gentle with each other...actually they ignored each other....until one winter day we heard screaming. We 've no idea what happened except Darrel's foot was bleeding like a faucet and poor Kiley had her jugular almost severed. I'll make it short. The two greys ended up in emergency. Our bank accounts ended up in the emergency clinic and the fault was totally the humans. With all our reading...we just missed that or trusted two docile pooches. Both hounds recovered as did our bankbooks, but we never ever felt comfortable again in each other dogs' company and yes...they wore muzzles.

I had one senior attacked so visciously by a girl we'd had for 3 years, the we had to put the senior down. The attack was totally unprovoked. This other Grey had attacked a foster at our place beofre, but we thought we knew why - wrong!! We kept her muzzled for several weeks after this incident and felt she was ok and removed it.She was returned to the adoption group the night of the 2nd attack. We put in writing that she was not to be placed with any other animals or small children - this one as a proactive move. Group ignored our advice and placed her with a widow that had a cat - yep! she killed the cat and was returned - I just hope that after her 2nd return, she found her forever home.

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest SabrinaInDE

Same here. There are certain times of the day when it is only potty break time and straight back in the house, and they have no interest in anything else. And if it's raining, no muzzles necessary. There's nothing going on but a super fast potty break :)

However, if a new dog is in the mix (foster or visitor), it's muzzles all the time when outdoors. For the indoors, when I'm not home, the visitor/foster is crated. Mine are never muzzled indoors.

• 1 month later...
Guest isntitgreyt

I muzzle my girls and any foster I have while they are outside in the yard or when there is 2 or more in my truck. I all ways leave the muzzle on my foster for the first day or two to make sure they don't decide to eat my Boston Terrier!!

• 1 month later...

We always muzzle during turn outs. Now, since we adopted Lady and she is out of her crate, we muzzle inside when we are not home. It just seems prudent. I bought those cool Australian muzzles I saw here on Grey Talk, and they are very comfortable for the dog to wear. We are not out for long periods often, but an incident can happen in the blink of an eye.

Carol Ann

P.S. For those that feel that their dogs "learned" their lesson about nipping, please think again. You are giving your dogs WAY more cognitive credit then they are capable of.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

What cello said.

My own Zema acted like a doormat, ignoring all slights etc. for months. No body language, no vocalizations, no nothing. And then one day she decided she'd had enough and put 60+ stitches in my parents' whippet in the blink of an eye. If we hadn't been right there, he'd've been dead.

Joseph is one of the sweetest dogs on earth. When he gets excited, he's apt to chase after his sister and body block her or nip her in the butt. She doesn't like that. Muzzles keep it all safe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I printed this thread to share with my family and my dog walker so they would understand how deadly serious I am about muzzles in the backyard.

Guest BLIsStillFlying

Mine have the muzzles with the poo cups that they unfortunately have to wear every walk (and they do realize when I'm rushed in the morning and forget that they must snatch all the poo as quickly as possible). Everyone thinks they're vicious now, which is quite sad as they were very popular at my complex before. They also could not defend themselves against a leash-less pit that came running up to them, making my older boy much more scared and defensive. My younger boy just seems crushed, too.

Better than them getting worms or anything else the feral cats aren't vaccinated for, though.

I separate them when they're off-leash--young wants to play with the old, and the old just wants to run his 6+ laps and then be done with it. Easier to let them run separate and then roam together calmer.

For some reason I thought I'd posted in this thread already, but it doesn't seem so, so here are my horror stories!

1) Bauer was attacked while both dogs were ON LEASH.

0c4f97d7.jpg

2) Berkeley's ear bitten partly off by Bauer. In the house, while my husband has handing out treats.

f9a5d4b4.jpg

These were very "controlled" environments. If you think you will be able to head off a fight, trust me, you won't. It explodes faster than you can react.

My rules for muzzling: if there's any doubt, muzzle! Outside all the time, for sure. Inside whenever there's a new dog in the house.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine have the muzzles with the poo cups that they unfortunately have to wear every walk (and they do realize when I'm rushed in the morning and forget that they must snatch all the poo as quickly as possible). Everyone thinks they're vicious now, which is quite sad as they were very popular at my complex before. They also could not defend themselves against a leash-less pit that came running up to them, making my older boy much more scared and defensive. My younger boy just seems crushed, too.

Better than them getting worms or anything else the feral cats aren't vaccinated for, though.

Wouldn't you rather have them eat poo than be attacked by a pit bull? I don't have anything against muzzling but in some cases, I think you can be defeating the purpose if you expose them to unmuzzled dogs.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

I think risking poo-eating is safer than having them be defenseless against loose, aggressive dogs. If you are worried about worms just deworm them regularly. Also, having them wear stool guards on their muzzles will not protect them from "anything else the feral cats aren't vaccinated for", not at all.

~Lindsay~

• 1 month later...