Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ishapespace

Couldn't vote, cuz the option wasn't there that applies, but we muzzle a lot. We muzzle our three when we aren't home. We muzzle when outside unsupervised. We muzzle when fosters are present outside, and inside for a bit at first. Better safe than sorry.

Guest ilovegreys

I muzzle ours whenever I'm gone, when they're around kids they don't know, when they're in the yard, when they're in the car. I muzzle them if one seems to be in a snarky mood. I'd rather muzzle than deal with blood and stitches and trauma.

Guest AndyUK

I said other.

I muzzle every now and then. Sarah and I have progressed since we first go her two years ago. I've learnt how to stop other dogs from getting too close (most of the time) and she is starting to trust me to keep them away. Occasionally I come across a stubborn one which doesn't take the hint and that is when I have my dilemma. Should I muzzle her to prevent her biting other dogs when other owners let their untrained, unmuzzled dogs off the lead where she could potentially be the victim?

So basically, if I feel she is in a feisty mood I muzzle (partciularly if I walk her before she's been fed). If I feel she is in a mellow mood, the I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest annepres

We use muzzles if there is more than my 2 personal dogs. I do a bit of dog-sitting and we NEVER play fetch / ball / frisbee unless EVERY dog on the property is wearing a muzzle. I had a pretty bad biting incident happen because a friend picked up a ball and started throwing it as I was saying "wait..I need to get muzzles on everyone"....I kept repeating she needed to wait while I muzzled and she kept throwing the ball.....= end result = couple of good bite holes in my Edward. :angry: - I muzzle everyone for turn-out unless it is just my personal dogs. Even if I am out there with them, I have a huge yard, I cant get to them fast enough to break things up! The only time I muzzle my own dogs is if they are in the truck together. I dont want to have to turn around when I am doing 60 mph down the freeway and see that Edward stepped on Milo and Milo snapped at him! They are usually really good in the truck together, but we drive quite a ways sometimes to get to horse shows, and I like to minimize chances of errors!

Guest PaulaMC

We use our muzzle every time Cupid goes outside in our fenced yard. There have been incidences in the past that I'd like to prevent happening again. He never wears a muzzle on walks with my DH and I, unless we are at a dog party or anywhere with other dogs - preventative measure only. He is great with people, but due to past issues, we aren't confident with him and other dogs.

• 2 months later...
Guest ChasesMum

Poor baby, I hope she is feeling much better soon! How terrifying!

when we had 2 we did muzzle (after awhile) in the yard. Chase was the unfortunate and innocent victim of a wild snaggletooth. We watched George just touch her flank - no nip just a bump - and POP there was a hole. sigh. twice. from then on whey they had that glint in their eye, at least G got his muzzle on.

We also muzzle with pain, G needed to be muzzled after his amp when we were doing too much with him. He got snappy with good reason!

Guest paulamariez

I can totally relate to your incident. We had a very similar situation happen at our house. We had a previous set of three dogs (a female Husky and two males greys) who never fought and got along greyt. Well, our "second" generation of three male greys got along excellent too, or so we thought. I have photos of my three boys snuggling in their beds together. The next day we went out for a couple of hours, leaving our three hounds together like we always did. We came home to a blood bath. There was a three way dog brawl, we only guess it was over a Kong treat that we left each one of our boys with. Tiger, our oldest and most dominant male got the brunt of the attack. He was in surgery for seven hours and Bueller had surgery too. Domino just ended up with stitches. Lesson learned the hard and costly way. Now, our boys are separated in different rooms when we're gone and wear muzzles in the car and on walks. (there is no area for them to run loose) I would never have thought in a million years that my hounds would do that to each other. But they did. Otherwise they get along famously. JudiK, I know EXACTLY how you feel!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crazy4greys

Here is a reason!

This is Winnie & Lola telling my new foster girl, Asia, who is the boss in the yard! They are hearding her and barking along they way in her ears.

I am very thankful for muzzles and use them everyday with or without fosters.

FosterDogs436.jpg

FosterDogs437.jpg

FosterDogs438.jpg

Asia being submissive and giving in.

FosterDogs431.jpg

Here is a reason!

This is Winnie & Lola telling my new foster girl, Asia, who is the boss in the yard! They are hearding her and barking along they way in her ears.

I am very thankful for muzzles and use them everyday with or without fosters.

FosterDogs436.jpg

FosterDogs437.jpg

FosterDogs438.jpg

Asia being submissive and giving in.

FosterDogs431.jpg

You are right to have muzzles on them and when we let our three out to play they always wear muzzles, but I also wanted to tell you those are some really GREYT action pictures. They are all adorable.... :wub::wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest WhippetsOwnMe

I muzzle my new Grey when he's in the yard with my Whippets or at the dog park if we go (we haven't yet). Until he proves otherwise, I will continue in my yard, and will always at the dog park.

Guest LindsaySF

Please be careful when muzzling at the dog park. I would not do it unless all dogs were muzzled. If a fight breaks out, your dog is defenseless.

Guest charmsmom

A muzzle is a requirement for my greys and any boarders I have, as well as visiting greys. It's safer (and cheaper!!) to use them than to be sorry!

Guest WhippetsOwnMe

While that is true, I have never and as far as I know will never let a Greyhound of leash at an all breed, all size dog park without a muzzle. It's just not worth it to me, and the crowd at my park is outstanding- no intact dogs (except my show Whippet who is completely non aggressive), no aggressive dogs of any breed, etc. I feel pretty confident as it's a close knit group who all knows eachother. But, until I know this dog and even once I do, I will be very respectful of his ability and potential desire to chase smaller dogs. So far we haven't gone, and we may never, but I haven't entirely ruled it out. It's too hot until November or December anyway to do the dog park thing, so I have some time to decide.

Guest RocketDog

I'm lazy with muzzling, and only do it during times of HIGH excitement - when we're at lure practice, sometimes in the car (if it's more than a short trip) and if we're doing fun-runs with more than just our two dogs.

Guest jennyheater

Your poll needed the ability to pick more than one option.

We muzzle all 3 when

We aren't at home

In the yard

In the truck

At the vet <while waiting to see the doc, mine aren't small dog safe>

We learned this lesson the hard way....

We use the muzzle when they are out playing and when they are in the car and whenever they are alone, also at the vets office. We would rather be safe than sorry.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm a strong supporter of muzzling. When I started our local playgroup I got some good advice from fellow GTers and made muzzles mandatory for everyone in the playgroup. Sometimes people forget theirs, and to make sure that their pup can still run with the others, I bring spares to every meetup.

However, I am planning to chip in a couple of months' time and, while I plan to muzzle both Merlin and the new dog while they get used to each other, I do not plan or want to muzzle the dogs in the house when I'm gone in the long run. I bring another grey home at lunch - a friend's dog - to play with Merlin every day, and while I muzzle them when we go to the yard for zoomies and play, I do not muzzle them in the house, and if I had to leave them alone I would probably separate them (pet-gate, etc) but not muzzle them... they are submissive, sensitive dogs. Ollie is a bit boisterous outside but quiet indoors, not the faintest bit space aggressive or anything like that. Neither is Merlin, who is a very submissive dog anyway.

I simply do not want my dogs wearing an uncomfortable plastic muzzle all day when I'm gone. I've only ever know two greyhounds who didn't mind their muzzles, and Merlin for one HATES his. And he's pretty good at getting it off anyway. Am I wrong to think this way? :unsure

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest charmsmom

Nope. I have four greys and don't muzzle them when they're in the house, but sure enough do when they're outside! Well, right now, Cash is crated while we're gone, but that's for other reasons (still housebreaking).

Guest FordRacingRon

I voted other because Leia is an only dog. She does get the muzzle when we do her nails as we do it a different way now and until she is used to it I don't wanna chance it.

Guest crazy4greys

My 4 dogs are not muzzled in the house, but Lola and Tucker are crated when I am not home because I don't trust all 4 together. Seeing as Lola and Tucker do not mind being crated, they are. Better than paying vet bills or coming home to a injured dog or worse.

If they didn't like to be crated, then all 4 would be muzzled.