I Got Volanteer's Ashes Today

Guest greyladydown

Guest greyladydown

I don't know why I find comfort in having Vol's ashes in my home, but I do. Perhaps it's the sense of closure, perhaps it's having some part of him close to me. I'd like to think that it's a sign that he is peaceful and free of pain now.

I will never ever forget how horrid he looked in his last hours. His face was terribly swollen and disfigured and his tongue was like a balloon. I felt so helpless. There was nothing I could do to make him better. He came back ot me so I could make him better.

I'm so, so sorry, Vol.

Guest Machbragal

Oh, I know how you feel. I picked up Jadey's (my cat) ashes a few days ago. She had to be euthanized last Tuesday (one week ago). At first I was just shocked to be confronted with this little white box (she was only 6 pounds when she died). I have the box on my dresser right now. I've ordered a stone urn with her name on it and dates. When that arrives, I will open the box and put her ashes in it, and place it in the backyard.

I do take comfort in knowing that her final remains are home, and that I will treat them with all the respect of one who truly loved her. I'm still so shocked that this is all I have now.

Vol knows that you loved him and did everything you could for him. That was a great gift to him.

I've got all 3 of my boys on next to each other in the living room, each with a picture, their collar and favorite toy (Chester's tennis ball keeps mysteriously rolling off though so I know he's playing with it -- and Rem's fav is believe it or not a pine needle -- the double long kind from a white pine -- he'd play 'hunt the pine needle for hours!)

it's comforting to know that they're still with you in some ways :)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping this poor boy find love and a home -- and for being there for him time and again. It must have been very hard those last few hours but I KNOW he knew you were there, and that he was loved. :wub:

:bighug:bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest 4baddogs

It does, to me anyway, feel better to have them back home. I got Flashy's ashes back one week to the day after he died. I couldn't get to the office fast enough to pick him up because I wanted him back home with us, where he belongs.

As much as I want to be tossed outside when I'm cremated, I can't bear to part with Flash's ashes so he'll stay in our bookcase where I can talk to him and give him kisses.

((hugs)) to you in this very difficult time.

:( It was a greyt relief when our babes have come back home. I hold them...and talk to them. :(:grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It's funny how people are different (or maybe I'm just different). Buckwheat died on May 21st. The vet called that he was back about 5 days later. I'm still not ready to go pick up his ashes. I guess I will get him tomorrow because I have appointments for my cats. I don't know, I feel like it's closing the door, the final goodbye....

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest Machbragal

Camille, I know how you felt. I actually asked my husband to pick up Jade's ashes. It happened too quick for me. I really wasn't ready to go back to the clinic, where we had lost her. Luckily for me, I didn't have to. But it's still hard for me, dealing with the fact that it's so final.

Guest nirik

I just picked up my Twyla's ashes yesterday. I put it off for as long as I could... somehow it made everything seem so final and real. ;(

Now I need to figure out what I want to do with them... :(

Guest Machbragal

I've ordered a stone, engraved urn that I can place in the back yard, in the garden. If you do a google search for pet urns, you'll find many different ones, including jars and boxes, too. I was going to bury her ashes, but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. I think the urn will work better for me.

Guest Kipsmom

This thread is making me cry. I remember the day that I picked up Blue's ashes like it was yesterday. I got a beautiful Urn with a picture on the front of it of her sweet face. I keep it on my mantel with a picture of us together hugging. I still talk to her. :cry1:cry1 :cry1

OH lordy...here it comes. :weep :weep :weep

I know it's sad... but it's ok to be sad.

Guest deanna

you totally did right by that boy. i feel for you having to have gone through such a horrifying ordeal :(

i'm glad you're feeling some closure :beatheart

I know how you feel about having Vol home.

I picked up Wanda's ashes last week. When the vet called I told DH that I was going to pick up Wanda in his Corvette because my vette is a convertable and it was going to rain. I had told Wanda just a couple days before she passed that I was going to take her for a ride in the Vette. We joke about how we have fast cars and fast dogs. So it seemed fitting to at least pick her up in the it. So I put her in the seat next to me and we went really fast....big ticket fast if I had gotten stopped. :lol When I walked in the door at home I announced "Wanda's home, and she liked the ride."

It brought me some closure and it seemed so right to have her home next to Zack where she belonged. I ordered the same type of urn that I had gotten for Zack, and when it arrives I will have further closure.

There's just something about having them home that brings comfort.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Vol was where he needed to be for this last stage of his life and he is where he needs to be now...I am so glad he is with you now, and peace to both of you... :f_white

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves