Remembering Bart

Guest Tenderhearts

Guest DeVon

Bet On Bart :beatheart

May 1, 1993-April 28, 1999

Bart was my introduction to the world of greyhounds.The sudden and unexpected health condition that affected him was a blow to this family. We were scheduled to take him to the veterinary school at Kansas State University for a myelogram and surgery, when the bulging disc in his back ruptured, resulting in paralysis in all four legs. This turn of events was devastating as we had high hopes of a successful surgery and many more years with him.

I will always think of Bart when I see red apples. The first year Bart was with me, I had set up a Christmas tree for the holidays and bought some new ornaments to hang on the tree.They were shiny red fake apples. One afternoon I left the house for an hour or so to go run some errands. When I got home, I soon discovered several mangled apple ornaments scattered across the living room floor. At that time I had three dogs total, and when I turned around to see who looked the most guilty, there stood Bart looking so very innocently at me with those big doe eyes. However, he had the prettiest red lips and teeth I had ever seen! :lol! He was SO busted, but who could stay mad at that face? Besides, I don't think he ever understood just how I figured it out :blink::lol

Bart was my gentle giant, my velcro boy, my 'heart' greyhound. He loved to engage the other dogs in a vigorous game of doggy olympics in the house. He and my small golden retriever mix, Shiloh,were the best of buds. They would run madly through the house, banking off of the back of the pit group in the living room and then off into thebedroom. We had furniture tipped over more than once. I would like to mention that not only did the humans in this house grieve for Bart when he passed over the bridge, but so did his canine compadre, Shiloh. She was very depressed and mourned in her own way for the next two weeks following Bart's passing.

Although I knew I could never replace Bart, I not only missed him, but I missed so many of the things he brought into this house as a greyhound. I missed the leaning into me for hugs, the 'dead cockroach' position he would fall asleep in until he tipped over! I missed the gentle, loving nature of this amazing breed. I knew Bart would be pleased if I gave my home to another beautiful greyhound in need, and so Lori Ann was the next to come and live with us. She has never replaced Bart, but has once again brought the joys of having a greyhound into this household. I know Bart is smiling down on us.

I miss you, my sweet gentle giant! :wub::heart I will always be forever grateful for the legacy that you left in my heart and in this home. My life will never be without a greyhound (or two) again :)

bartlayhead.jpg

what a legacy Bart brought. I just laughed at the apple story, I can see him now. I am glad the memories are still so vivid. They always will be when you love your pet this way. I bet he's putting on a doggie olympics at the bridge today. Have fun you sweet boy!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

What a sweet...precious boy. I think that he and Angel Sophia probably compared notes...both having the same horrible disease process. I know they are running together now as they look down upon us with love until we meet again. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:grouphug :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Gogh4It

:f_red:gh_lay:f_red:f_red:gh_lay:f_red

Devon, Bart thought living & being with you was heaven...so when he crossed the bridge, he just thought he was back home with you.

I'm am positive that he is with you everyday, guiding you & making you smile for no reason. Sometimes I believe that they leave us in one body & come back in another. They put that opportunity in front of the next pupsie or kitster to come into our lives and reshape us. :heart

Edited by Gogh4It

What a nice tribute to your heart-dog. He sure has an angelic face!

I don't suppose you happened to get a picture of Bart with lipstick? That would have been so cute! :wub:

I hope you're doing well, Bart. I'm sure my girl would love to play some soccer with you...if you're not afraid of getting drooled on! :)

Guest how888

What a beautiful post to read. Those stories really touched my heart. Forever in our hearts and just a rainbow away. Bart is a true angel. :beatheart:beatheart

Guest DeVon
I don't suppose you happened to get a picture of Bart with lipstick? That would have been so cute! :wub:

You know, I have never been one to wear lipstick unless it's something like a job interview :blush It wasn't until Skittle came along years later, and Miss Amber had gotten to the age of wearing makeup (and she's big on lipstick and colored lipgloss) that the 'kiss on the dog' thing started. I think he would have been adorable with a lip print right on top of his head :beatheart

:beatheart What a beautiful legacy :wub::grouphug

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest rsqdogsmom

I am so sorry for your loss.

I know how hard it is to lose your heart dog.

Bart sounds like such a wonderful boy.

As long as you remember him he'll always be with you.

that is a beautiful tribute for a beautiful boy :wub:

it's amazing how something as simple as a dog can make such a profound difference in our lives -- for the good :)

your sweet boy is playing (and probably knocking over furniture! :)) at the bridge :wub: knowing he'll see you again someday :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway