Good-bye Omar

Guest gs05wlw

Guest gs05wlw

This is so strange that the first time posting on Greytalk is actually for "remembering my dog, Omar". Omar is my fist pet/dog, and I never had any desire to have a pet before having Omar. My husband was actually the one insisting to have a greyhound after we living together. Gosh! That was actually 4 years ago.

Omar had taught me so much during these four happy years. I have learned how to love and appreciate dogs, and I am not afraid of getting close to them anymore. At the beginning, I had no idea how to put a leash on Omar, and not even talk about walk him around the neighborhood.

Omar was perfect for me as a first pet. Unlike other dogs, he never bark, jump or had any accident in the house. He accommodated his live based on our needs and schedule. He was always so happy to see us. He ate everything we offer. Everyone who met him fell in love with him instantly. He was truly the best dog ever!

It's been almost a month, but I still have not figured out how to live without him. My husband and I have no children. Omar is like our child. I miss patting his stomach the most. That kind of soft warm feelings makes you want to love him with all your heart. We enjoy spoiling him, but now all we have left is a plastic box with Omar’s ashes in it. I don’t even know what I should do with this box. As a Chinese, it is so unlucky to have this inside the house, but when thinking of leaving Omar outside not letting him enter his own home, my heart aches so much. Now, Omar is on the backseat of my husband’s car. He loved to ride with us, so leaving him is the car traveling with my husband everyday is our temporary solution.

Omar was gone so quickly that we had no time to prepare our emotions of losing him. Three days before he past away, he was just a happy greyhound like always. We had no idea there is a huge tumor growing in his bowel, which could take Omar away from us. Of course, when we found out about this, it was too late. I was taking Omar between two vets and the ER on the first day when Omar was sick. He had a successful surgery on the same night, but I guess that was just not enough to bring him back to us. He suffered the next two days in the vet, and we finally had to left him go. He never made it home.

It was so heartbreaking to see him suffer in the vet. People who never experience this kind of situation would never understand. Omar was crying without conscious. He reached out his front paws to me, but I could not do anything at all except crying. It took me a long time to realize that Omar is gone and never going to come back. The house now is so empty. That kind of quiet is scary to a point that we don’t really want to go home anymore. The first two weeks, my husband and I tried to stay at work as long as we can. However, when we are finally home, it is hard to recognize the fact that Omar is never going to run to the door to greet us.

If I have anything to say to the greyhound owners, I would like to tell everyone:

(1) Spend more time with your greyhounds.

If you can’t, please make sure getting another greyhound for your dog. My husband and I were sort of busy during the last few months of Omar’s life. I regret and blame myself deeply that we did not get him another buddy to keep him company while we are out at work.

(2) Don’t be lazy walking you dog.

I remember Omar loves us walking him around the neighborhood. However, we did not walk him often later on since we moved to a house has fence in yard. We just let him go around freely. Now, I really regret that I did not walk him as much as I should, because I can’t do so anymore.

(3) Don’t ignore your dog when they need your attentions.

Omar always ask for my attentions either when I am eating or watching an interesting TV show. I used to think he is so annoying, but now I wish he could bother me once more while having a meal or watching TV.

(4) My last advice is “cherish your time with your dog as much as you can”.

No matter how healthy your dog is, one day he or she will be gone before you. Sometimes the timing is sooner than you are expected, so don’t think that you still have lots time with your dog like I was. I thought Omar at least would have two more years before anything happen. However, I was totally wrong. From Omar started to get sick to the end, it only took 3 days. Omar did not have the opportunity to celebrate his 9th birthday.

Omar's Pictures 1 2 3 4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for your loss. Omar sounds like he was wonderful, he certainly is beautiful in his pictures. What you wrote is so true and such a good reminder. It is sweet that you carry Omar with you since he loved to go for rides. I hope that someday you might find another greyhound or two to fill your house with sweet (and yes, sometimes annoying) sounds again.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I'm so sorry.... Omar knew you cherished him just as much as he cherished you. And you will see him again.

:grouphug

My heart aches for your loss. :brokenheart Omar had much to teach you, and you opened your heart to his lessons and loving spirit. Now, you've shared some of your learnings with us, which are good reminders about how we should never take things for granted. Many hugs to you and your husband. Hopefully, in time, you'll open your heart to another precious greyhound. :beatheart:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest argolola

I'm crying as I read your post and look at Omar's pictures. What a beautiful boy. It's evident that he loved you very much and was so happy with you. You gave him a wonderful life.

May God bless you and heal your broken heart.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy Omar...but be assured that he is never far away, his spirit lives on in your heart because you clearly loved him so much. One day you will be reunited with your dear friend and one day you will remember him only with smiles and not with tears. :grouphug:f_red

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Omar was beautiful. May you and your husband find peace during this difficult time. I can tell how much you loved your boy through your writing. Rest assured he knew he was loved. Omar will always be with you. Remember the good times and don't live with regrets. We are human and we could have always done a little more, but Omar was happy with what you gave him...Love and your heart. May you find Peace.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest ginapauiesmum

I am so sorry for your loss and understand the pain you are feeling, but Omar is still with you. He was a beautiful boy.

Guest rsqdogsmom

I am so sorry for your loss.

Your post about your beautiful boy, Omar, was so moving.

I feel your pain and I sympathize with your deep grief.

I lost my 'heart dog', Murphy, in Jan. at the age of 13. I'd had her since she was 9 months old.

Even though I still have 2 other dogs, she was my soul mate;my confidant;my stability and my baby.

Coming home to the 'empty' house is the hardest, even if you still have other dogs.

Each dog is so unique that sometimes having the others wanting attention just makes the absence of the one you lost seem worse.

The things you regret are the things we all regret but it is just a part of our being human:

we work; we watch tv; we worry and pay bills.

Dogs do not fault us for not putting them first all the time.

They are happy just to hang out with us doing whatever and occasionally getting an absented minded petting in the process. :)

Omar was no different;he loved every moment he spent with you and he always knew he was loved just by the way you touched him and said his name.

While you can never replace Omar, you certainly can help heal your hearts by opening your home to another dog who has been waiting and hoping for someone just like you to discover him and offer him a chance to have his 'forever' home.

It may be too soon right now or it may be exactly the right time.

You and your husband will know when the time is right for you to begin your search for a new dog.

NOT to replace Omar, but to honor his memory by sharing your love and your life with another homeless pet.

We will almost always outlive them and they are certainly gone from us too soon no matter how long we have them.

But our lives are so enriched with by the presence of every animal we are blessed to be able to help.

Omar was your first dog and he was yours for a reason.

All that you have learned by living with him will only make you even better guardians in the future.

Grieve for your loss but rejoice in your memories of the time you had with Omar.

Dogs live in the now.

Omar never regretted what you did NOT do; he loved you for what you DID.