Shawn - My Best Friend, My Other Heart Beat

keiko

Shawn passed just over a week ago and I haven't been able to bring myself to post here about his passing. I'm still having a very difficult time. I thought I could do this and yet as soon as I begin tears start streaming down my face.

Shawn was the most striking brindle with his beautiful white blaze, white tip on his furry tail, and that little adorable triangle on his top of his nose. I met him at the track one day after he raced and there was an immediate connection. I talked to his owner the very next day and when Shawn retired, he would come home with me. He was almost 5 then. He had "heart" is what I was told. He had broken his hock when he was a couple years old racing and had 2 screws in his hock. After 6 months of rehab, he came back and while he wasn't quite the stakes racer he had been he was still an A/AA racer. He LOVED to race. He was grading off when I met him and mysteriously the next race after I talked to his owner, he graded himself all the way back up to A and raced for another 3 months before John decided to go ahead and pull him because he had a home waiting.

We did everything together, he was my best friend. When I cooked in the kitchen he would lay on the rug behind me.... just to be close and be with me. He wasn't a velcro dog at all, he just loved me.

He loved his toys, this big orange gorilla that I bought in Abilene was his favorite. It sits in my bed now. He was always happy and made me smile every day no matter what had happened or what the circumstances were. When I bought my house, it was Shawn who came over here with me to bring boxes and unpack. He was always easy going, he was perfect. If there were nights that I couldn't sleep or that my heart was beating too hard for me to sleep, I would lay on the floor next to him and put my arm over him. He was always there. When I went to the emergency room unexpectedly because of extremely low blood pressure, the doctors said that the reason I never lost consciousness was because I was constantly thinking about my hounds. Shawn was my only roo'er, my only talker, and my only snuggler. One night it was obvious that he wanted in bed with me and I told him it was okay. Up on the bed he came, did the circle thing, and then laid down where he could put his head on my chest and would put on leg over my stomach. I miss him terribly...

Before he went into surgery, we talked and I asked him to promise me that he would fight and come back home to me. He lifted his front leg and gave me his paw as if he was shaking on it. I never expected this to happen. They started the surgery that Thursday morning and found the tumor they were removing but it was MUCH larger than they expected. It was 6 1/2 pounds and completely encompassed his spleen. He was a 75 pound boy basically carrying a new born child at the back of his rib cage under his diaphram causing most of his organs to be pushed backwards towards his hind end. They removed the tumor and had everything tied off, the surgery was within 15 minutes or so of being over and all had gone well. It is believed that when they removed the tumor some toxins were released causing his heart to stop. They tried Dopram, Epi, and even did mouth to mouth but couldn't revive him. He promised me he would fight and I know that he wouldn't have left me if he could have prevented it but the toxins were too strong and he couldn't fight them.

I heard Garth Brooks's song, The Dance on the radio the other day and it was very poignant. I don't remember the words exactly but it's something like, "I could have missed the pain but then I would have missed the Dance". Shawn, I wouldn't have missed a day with you. I wish more than anything you could have been with me longer but you gave me the best 26 months of my life and what a dance we had.

I love you, Shawn, and I miss you so very much. I will see you again one day. Until then, please be my sweet special angel and watch over me. I love you my sweet wonderful boy.... Run free and play at the bridge until it's time for us to be together again.

:gh_run

Kelly and the boys

Andy (Full Details), Savage (SanTan SavageTry), Tag (C Ya Tag Heuer), Hamlet (Huntington's Monarch Hamlet),

and Cleopatra (Huntington's Cleopatra)

Never forgotten & Always in my heart, Shawn (Call Me Gone) 02/09/99 - 03/23/06

and Josh (Great Contender*) 01/11/98 - 11/29/07

6be773b747390028badb20f184e30be3.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very touching tribute....

So sorry for your loss.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest Gogh4It

I am so sorry...I think we all feel the same pain you're feeling now...I hope that helps.

The words to that song are so true...our pups live their lives to the fullest...if only we could learn to do the same thing. I think we find a lot of joy & happiness in them. I know I can watch mine just out in the sunshine & feel the stress go away.

I know your puppy is watching your every move, even from the bridge & will make sure you don't take any dangerous steps. They are in our hearts forever & ever.

:heart:paw:gh_lay:paw:heart

I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug

What a beautiful tribute you have written for Shawn. Watch for a sign from him, he will let you know he is OK. It may be a butterfly, a rainbow, a bird singing near you, a dream, or a sudden gust of wind. We never know what the sign will be, but there will be one.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:cry1 Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Scouts_mom

I am so sorry about your boy, but am glad that you and he got to share your lifes with each other. And I truely believe our bridge kids are with us, even though we can't see them.

:gh_bow:gh_bow:gh_bow:gh_bow:gh_bow

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your boy. Godspeed Shawn. :f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest OnecoRose

I am so sorry for your loss, and what a special relationship you had. He is running free now with all the other pups. Godspeed, to you both, will be thinking of you.

That is so unbelievably beautiful. Thank you SO much for sharing...I know it is tough. Today is 1 month since our girl left us for the Rainbow Bridge too. It sounds like she and Shawn had similar personalities....#1 agenda was loving their humans.

Thanks again for sharing. Bless you, and GodSpeed, Shawn.

:f_red