Satin Balls...that Will Make Them More Appealing?

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys

He was never the type of dog that couldn't wait for dinner. He'd lay down on the carpet in the other room...waiting for his bowl to be put down...then sometimes he'd look up as if to say "this is it?"...then he'd eat. He loved licking the bowls clean...but he just wasn't food motivated. Now he did enjoy treat time when they all would come in from outside...and he'd go over and "sit" and sit till he got his treat....but he was patient.

Soooo...he's lost a lot of weight...some he could have lost and that's fine...but now he's looking "too" skinny...and I wanted to put some weight back on him. I made the Satin balls...did a few bags of the balls last night...they're in the freezer..still have a large bowl left to roll...but Dodge is not really ga ga over them.

What can I add to the mix that would make it more appealing or really for him to go ga ga over it? Liverwurst?

I drizzled fish oil on some today...and it didn't do anything for him.

He did love the Evo...but now he can care less. I bought some instinct...and he likes that better than Evo...but it's too expensive...at $2.59 a can :blink:

I thought I was making some headway yesterday with him finally eating from his food bowl...but now we're sliding back. :(

Edited by VirginiaGreys

Tripett.

Scrambled eggs.

Gently cooked ground beef.

Spaghettios.

Almost anything with honey, molasses, or vanilla ice cream drizzled on top.

Jack mackerel.

Sending hugs and hungry thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytful4

Sorry you're having so much trouble..I also went thru that with my Kylie's last three weeks.She always LOVED to lick the cat food cans, I ended up letting her have a cans of cat food mixed in with chicken chunks...Also, try Beneful in the little plastic tubs,it's a little expensive but it may work. Good Luck!

Pearl's been very picky lately (enough to start worrying me too). It's her BP/heart meds

Anyway, I cook chicken livers to put her pills into. Luckily she devours those still. I put in the 'juice' and small pieces into the pan after and later when I need to get her to eat something I cook up several scrambled eggs in that pan with all the cooked pieces of liver. So the eggs are fused with liver flavor. She downs that like there's no tomorrow.

She likes chicken liver over liverwurst.

I hate it when they get so picky over food.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Well...today I bought some beef tripe...and I dipped some of the meatballs into the tripe and he ate it. I don't know how much he's getting pound wise...but I hope to keep feeding him these this way...to add some weight on him. At times I look at him and he doesn't look too bad....but then I look at him from the top and he looks too damn skinny.

I'll see what I can do about getting some liver....or even more liverwurst to mix in to make the meatballs yummier.

Thanks for the suggestions...it's just a shame that the regular ingredients...which were already a LOT...didn't work by themselves.

Otherwise...Dodge seems happy and content. He loves going for van rides...and today he was so excited...but I wasn't going anywhere...that we took a long walk to the neighbors. I have to say...Dodge was pretty much pulling me all the way down there! He slowed down on the way back...but I was amazed at how fast he was moving to go there. I wished my neighbors had been home....he would have enjoyed seeing them.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Liver has always been one of the things no matter how crappy my hounds were feeling they would always scarf it up. For Pup it was chicken livers, for Weenie it was beef liver.

but for some reason they always wanted it cooked fresh for them, if it hung out in the fridge for the day and warmed up they didn't seemed as thrilled with it.

Also maybe a bit of crumbled up bacon? I know the smell of bacon cooking always gets all my hounds worked up :)

I think relating the smell of something cooking helps to get them interested in food

You could try cooking the satin balls -- should be easy to do in the microwave. If they start out frozen, cook on high for @ a minute, let sit a bit, add 30 seconds if necessary. The smell might help him along.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Now Dodge has "D"...so he got some Imodium tablet late last night and so far..no "D" this morning. I got some food in him this AM followed by a little bit of pumpkin...but he wasn't really hungry...except to want to eat grass when I took him out. Hopefully once he has a reg. bowel movement and his stomach stop tumbling...he'll eat again.

This am I did try cooking the meatballs along with tripe and even tried to get him to eat some liver...but he turned his nose up to all. I'm chalking it up to his upset tummy for now.

On the other hand...while I was talking to someone from GT on the phone late last night...my daughter came in to tell me about the "D" that Dodge was having....and said with a smile that she hadn't seen Dodge run so fast in so long ....because when she let him out to go to the bathroom...he shot out into the back field like it was a marathon...and was VERY FAST!

Guest VirginiaGreys

I bought many jars of baby food meats and he won't eat them (unless I syringe them into his mouth)...maybe they are too bland? I'm slowing giving them to my other greys as additives to their kibble.

I bought many jars of baby food meats and he won't eat them (unless I syringe them into his mouth)...maybe they are too bland? I'm slowing giving them to my other greys as additives to their kibble.

Can't blame him, I tasted it and it's gross. When Misty stopped eating, I used the Nutritional Yeast to kick start her appetite and that really worked.

Might be worth a try, it has so many of the B vitamins to enhance the appetite

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

scrambled eggs and ensure and cooked chicken were things Rascal couldn't turn down. Hot dogs were also a really tempting thing along with bologna.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I was going to suggest what Claudia did, Nutritional Yeast. She and others have had a lot of luck with it. You can get it at your local health food store, it's not the same stuff you make bread with!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest VirginiaGreys

There's only one health store in my general area....and they had it. I took Dodge with me for the ride over...picked some up.

Now what's the best way to use it?

I sprinkled some of the yeast on the meat mixture that I had for the meatballs...made up some meatballs and put them in the crock pot...along with some seasoning and a little bit of bbq sauce. The reason for the bbq sauce is that this morning after Dodge turned his nose up to all the meatballs with green tripe ...I opened the bbq chicken container that was from a few nights ago for us humans...and Dodge ate the chicken hungrily.

He's driving me batty with his pickiness...which he never did prior to being in pain and having amputation.

*sigh*

Guest KyGrey
There's only one health store in my general area....and they had it. I took Dodge with me for the ride over...picked some up.

Now what's the best way to use it?

I sprinkled some of the yeast on the meat mixture that I had for the meatballs...made up some meatballs and put them in the crock pot...along with some seasoning and a little bit of bbq sauce. The reason for the bbq sauce is that this morning after Dodge turned his nose up to all the meatballs with green tripe ...I opened the bbq chicken container that was from a few nights ago for us humans...and Dodge ate the chicken hungrily.

He's driving me batty with his pickiness...which he never did prior to being in pain and having amputation.

*sigh*

I'll see if I can get someone headed over here. I know that cbudshome used it before with Misty.

I'm sorry he's being so picky. Could he still be in pain? I'm not sure if he is still on pain meds or not.

Edited by KyGrey

As for the NY, I always just took about 2 tablespoons and sprinkled it all over her food. It has a cheesey flavor to it, and Misty loved it so I didn't have to hide it in her food.

I sure hope it works as well for you because it tuned Misty into an eating machine

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I got Nutritional Yeast for Emmy and just mixed it right in with her food. She loved it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest VirginiaGreys

well....all attempts failed...I even sprinkled the NY on the food as well...and he didn't eat.

So now I'm going to try and play tough love with him. I'll put the food down...if he doesn't eat the good food I put down..then he won't eat. I'll try this tomorrow morning and tomorrow night...nothing in between meals...see what he does. Maybe he figures that he's got me right where he wants me? :dunno

oh...but he did eat the small bits of chicken I put down...so it's not that he's not hungry...but he's being maybe too picky

This is what I thought about Misty, she was just being picky. But the vet told me that it's more likely that she's eating what she knows her stomach can handle and I think he was right.

What about pain? That sure can supress the appetite. And just for the heck of it, put some of the NY in her hand and see if he'll take a taste of it, that's how I got Misty to realize, (for a lack of a better word) it was good. Then I made sure she watched me sprinkle it all over her food.

Just a thought

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge seems to be very happy again! Tails are wagging and now I think I have the eating problem solved. I had to play tough mom love...and stop giving in when he got picky with his food. I took a stance and took away his bowl when he didn't eat it and walked away. I didn't go in and force him to eat...just ignored him. Did this last night and this morning...and tonight? He sniffed his "Satin Balls" and looked up at me and I didn't move....and he devoured every bit of his bowl...without stopping to see if there was anything else to eat. I hated to do that after all he's been through...but he was stressing me out with all the food changes to see what he liked and didn't.

Dodge will be 8 years old this coming week (17th) and I'm hoping to celebrate by going to DQ with him!

Dodge seems to be very happy again! Tails are wagging and now I think I have the eating problem solved. I had to play tough mom love...and stop giving in when he got picky with his food. I took a stance and took away his bowl when he didn't eat it and walked away. I didn't go in and force him to eat...just ignored him. Did this last night and this morning...and tonight? He sniffed his "Satin Balls" and looked up at me and I didn't move....and he devoured every bit of his bowl...without stopping to see if there was anything else to eat. I hated to do that after all he's been through...but he was stressing me out with all the food changes to see what he liked and didn't.

Dodge will be 8 years old this coming week (17th) and I'm hoping to celebrate by going to DQ with him!

:yay:yay:yay:yay Go Dodge!!!

What a relief

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg