Need Some Help With This Dx

If anyone has any suggestions on what to look at next, I'm all ears. :) Here's the story of the last two weeks -

Tex was hauled up from Florida a few weeks ago, so I don't have a ton of history on him. By all accounts, he came up looking and acting fine.

He has a recurring fever, between 103-104 usually. But it's not a constant fever - it's periodically came out at a normal temp. But when he heats up, he's HOT - I can feel how hot he is.

He had a bad bout of diarrhea for a week or so. It's better now, but not perfect. Fecal was negative.

He's lost a lot of weight, like 8-10lbs. I am feeding him a ton of food (raw and kibble) and he hasn't gained a thing.

He acts like an old dog (he's four this year). Getting up and getting down are clearly painful for him. He will limp on various legs, and shifts his weight frequently when standing. The vet called it a 'polyarthritis' type presentation.

He had pyoderma.

For meds, he was put on cephalexin for the pyoderma and flagyl for the diarrhea. Those helped. When the fever came back (while still on the ATBs) and the limping got more pronounced, they assumed it might be tick related, so we started him on doxy. His full tick panel has since come back totally clean. We're keeping him on the doxy still.

Because he's clearly in pain of some sort, last night the vet gave him a shot of an anti-inflammatory. Definitely saw improvement in his desire to get up and walk around - he was still gimpy and stiff, but more spunky. We're putting him on deramaxx now to help with that.

With the fever, the vet is narrowing it down to some sort of infection. Because of that we've sent out for a full fungal panel as the next step. Bloodwork is unremarkable except for an elevated ALT (220 u/L, I think, I don't have it in front of me).

Annnd on top of all that, the poor dog has a bad case of happy tail. :(

Any thoughts? Ideas??

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

It might be a good idea to check to see how all the other dogs that were on the same road trip are doing. Also, were other dogs picked up along the way and were any non-greyhounds.

On second thought, have they checked for meningitis or septicemia - that would cause the fevers and stiffness and would not be readily apparent in generic tests. Although, the symptoms you describe really do seem to present more as a tick borne disease especially something like Lyme ...

Another possibility might be a spider/snake/insect bite - it would be more common in the south then in the New England area and could be missed on an initial exam.

Good question about the other dogs - one other also came down with diarrhea/weight loss, but he rebounded pretty quickly. No other symptoms with that dog like fever, etc. And no other non-greys on this haul.

I don't think they've tested for meningitis or septicemia, but I will check. Thanks :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

What type of tick panel was run? Any films (e.g., abdominal / lung / heart x-ray)?

I'm sorry he isn't better :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest JustGreyt05

Normal cardiac auscultation? Undulating FUO definitely puts vegetative endocarditis on the list, however unlikely in dogs. Also an ALT at 220 is not significant.

What is Tex's racing name and where was he hauled from in Florida? If it's one of the usual groups that does the hauls they would probably like to know he is sick. Sometimes they know where the greyhound has been before the haul. If he came out of a racing kennel they might have some idea about him.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Maybe run a CPL on him too (test for pancreatitis).

Angel Sutra's symptoms came on really slowly with just the little abnormality here and there, and then before we knew it, he was so sick he nearly died. Worth running the CPL just to rule it out, if nothing else. If it is, Zeniquin + Clavamox is what helped Sutra the most.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What type of tick panel was run? Any films (e.g., abdominal / lung / heart x-ray)?

I'm sorry he isn't better :( .

No films (yet).

I believe it was an Idexx panel (PCR), not 100% sure, covering Anaplasma, Babesia, Bartonella, Ehrlichia, Hepatozoon, Leishmania, Neorickettsia risticii, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Canine Hemotropic Mycoplasma and Lyme QuantC6 (from their website, and this matches up with what he read me today).

He came right out of a racing kennel, and wasn't showing any issues at the time of the haul. In fact, I saw him right after he got here and he was a bouncy, happy dog. He's very subdued now.

Everything was normal (well, except for everything wrong with him!) on physical exam (heart/lung sounds, etc).

One other thing I've noticed is that he has two white spots on his nose...like he's losing pigment there? They are small, but definitely unusual and something I didn't notice on him two weeks ago...??

Polyarthritis flair brought on by the stress of the haul?? How old is this boy???

He turns 4 this year.

I feel like the stress of the haul "triggered" something, however that's just a guess and the timing could also be coincidental. I don't know!

Edit to add - is there a test for polyarthritis? Does it present with a fever, or is that something else, you think?

Edited by BauersMom

FWIW Jake had an PCR Tick test for the usual ones when he first became a blood donor. A year or so later he began to have rotating lameness with swelling and fever. We spent a fortune trying to figure this out with no luck, many, many tests and antibiotics for the suspected infections. After the episodes became more frequent and he suddenly was lame in two back legs our vet was in a panic. We opted to treat him as if he had tick disease, and lo and behold within 10 days of doxycyclin we had a new dog. Since TBD's are almost unheard of here in our area our vet didn't give a very high dose so Jake did have one relapse a few months later. One more 8 week course of doxy and he hasn't had another. Our vet firmly believes he had one of the rarer forms of ehrlichia. What I'm getting at is that a negative tick test in a sick dog doesn't always mean they don't have a TBD, they just don't have the TBD they tested for.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Yes, they can present with a fever.

http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=217

Hope this link helps (or actually works- I'm on my phone)!

The link works, and it sounds really possible. The only piece then is the GI/weight loss, which could be something unrelated. The vet mentioned doing a joint tap - he must have had something like this in mind.

And yes, we're keeping him on the doxy for exactly that reason, foxysmom!

Edited by BauersMom

If he's an easy dog to vet, I'd be inclined to do a quick x-ray or two just to make sure everything is OK with those essential parts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree that it sounds like polyarthritis, which can be diagnosed with joint taps. What was the anti-inflammatory injection that your vet gave - not a steroid, I hope? A steroid might interfere with results from a joint tap, not to mention the risk when followed with oral NSAIDs, which is why I'm hoping it was an NSAID injection.

However, if it's immune-mediated polyarthritis, that usually responds best to steroids. And if he's had NSAIDs now, it would be safest to do a washout period before switching to steroids. The other big question with polyarthritis is whether it is primary immune-mediated, or is it secondary to a systemic infection.

Many of the tick-borne disease can cause a secondary immune-mediated polyarthritis. This is what we suspected was the case when my girl Willow developed polyarthritis and fever (along with other signs) a couple years ago. After consulting with my local internist, and also getting input from Dr. Couto and Dr. Breitschwerdt (tick disease expert at NCSU), the most likely diagnosis was Bartonella, but we were never able to confirm it despite running multiple tests. Apparently it is not unusual to get false negative results with Bartonella.

If the tick panel you did was a PCR panel, I'd consider also doing an antibody titer panel to go along with that. PCR can be very sensitive, but may have a higher rate of false negatives than titers. With the suspicion of immune-mediated polyarthritis, as well as the possibility of infectious disease, the dilemma is that most immune-mediated disease are treated with immunosuppressive doses of steroids and other drugs. But suppressing the immune system of a dog that is fighting an infection can make that infection go out of control. With Bartonella, it increases the risk of the infection going into the heart valves (infectious endocarditis), which is very difficult to treat and leads to a much worse prognosis.

When Willow had polyarthritis, we treated with a combination of doxy plus Baytril for a total of 8 weeks. Her joint inflammation still hadn't improved after more than a week on the antibiotics, and the internist wanted to start her on immunosuppressive doses of pred. I was reluctant to do this due to the risk of making infection worse, and after discussing it with both the internist and Dr. Breitschwerdt, we decided to start with a lower, anti-inflammatory dose of pred. She was feeling better, and the joint inflammation improved, within a couple days of starting the pred. In addition to treatment with antibiotics and steroids, we also treated Willow with acupuncture, Chinese herbs, Adequan and oral joint supplements.

Btw, have you submitted a consult to Dr. Couto's team at OSU?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

No steroids at this point, for sure. It's all been NSAIDs for pain relief.

I'll check about the antibody panel, thanks for the suggestion. The vet we have been seeing is out until early next week - do you think it's worth doing a joint tap sooner rather than later? I could see about getting in with another one at the practice today or saturday.

Btw, have you submitted a consult to Dr. Couto's team at OSU?

I second this, however... The greyhound health and wellness program is incredibly short staffed right now. Dr. Marin is on a leave of absence until sometime in April -- I believe she is home in Columbia taking care of a sick parent. Dr. Couto just left today with some students for Scooby in Spain and won't be back until March 13. Obviously this was scheduled before Dr. Marin had to leave or it would have been postponed (students had already purchased their tickets I'm sure). So the program is down to just Dr. Sara Zaldivar, who normally focuses on just the research side of things. I'm not sure what they are doing for the next 3 weeks.

Jane

The vet we have been seeing is out until early next week - do you think it's worth doing a joint tap sooner rather than later? I could see about getting in with another one at the practice today or saturday.

At this point, I don't think it would make a huge difference if you could get in for the joint taps Mon or Tues. Especially if he's stable and not progressively getting worse. The sooner the diagnosis is made, though, the sooner you can start treatment. So if you feel comfortable with another vet doing it, and they have availability tomorrow, you might consider going ahead and just having it done.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

His symptoms sound like Phene's just before he was diagnosed with babesia, especially the difficulty getting up.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So we're seeing some improvement. He shows moments of having no pain, like last night at 2am he was ready to walk around the house and investigate! This hadn't happened at all for the two weeks he's been here, so even though it was at an ungodly hour, I took it to be a good sign.

He's subdued again tonight, but a few times today he seemed more perky. I'm encouraged. He's on doxy and deramaxx only at this point - not sure which is having the positive effect, but I'll take it!

I noticed some spots on him this morning - balding, crusty and looking a little red. One toe is nearly completely hairless now, and he has probably another 4-6 spots on him. Left over from the pyoderma? Related to some sort of immune issue?

Good thougths for this hound.......

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.