In Memory Of Homer

Guest homersdad

Guest homersdad

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently lost our beloved boy Homer to an immune mediated disease. He was only 4 1/2 years old and was taken from us far too soon. I still get teary eyed thinking about him. God we loved him!!!

Homer was the sweetest greyhound you could ask for. The term "gentle giant" was coined for him, as he stood 32 inches at the shoulder and weighed in at 94 pounds. He was a beautiful red brindle, with a loving, affectionate personality to match his splendid coat. He will be greatly missed by us and our friends at PGC. Every person who met Homey fell in love with his infectious personality and goof ball ways. He also had the longest tongue I've ever seen, which was constantly hanging out of his mouth.

Homey passed away on 10/4/2004. We are not sure yet if the immune disease was idiopathic (i.e. of no identifiable cause) or if it was secondary in nature (i.e. caused by bacteria, protozoa, virus, or some other exposure), but we are trying to find out. We are still waiting for some tests results.

To help us cope with his loss, my wife and I are trying to learn as much as possible about immune system disease in greyhounds, especially immune mediated disease. It appears from our preliminary research that greyhounds are subject to a disporportionately high occurrence of these types of diseases. If possible, we hope to somehow help other greyhounds in need through our research. If anyone has any information or sources they could point us to it would be greatly appreciated. Please don't hesitate to ask for more info. if needed.

Homey, we miss you so much!!! Please know we are going to try to help other greyhounds in your name. See you at the bridge big guy.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your wife.This brought tears to my eyes because the same thing happened to Howie.He got systemic lupus and passed away suddenly.He was still a baby and our first greyhound.He went in for his check up on a Thursday and was fine,by Tuesday he was gone.You can look up his entire thread under medical illness if that would help you out.Just know that "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" they are waiting for us.Run through the beautiful fields of flowers Homer ,pain free. :f_red:f_red:f_red:gh_run:gh_run

Edited by how888

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I think Greyhounds are more prone to secondary forms of immune mediated disease b/c we see the incidence of infectious causes such as Babesia (RBCs) and Ehrlichia (platelets) more in Greys than other breeds. I'm not aware of any study though that states that primary immune mediated hemolytic anemia or thrombocytopenia is higher in Greys though. If you come across something that does... please let me know. My deepest sympathies on your loss and here are a few links that might be helpful to you:

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1390

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1412

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I'm so sorry about your loss. I know another Homer greyhound who is wonderful, too. Must be the name :) ...my sympathy to you.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest KaseysMom

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry. We lost a keeshond suddenly to an autoimmune disease, so it warms my heart to read your pledge to help others.

My deepest sympathies.

:grouphug:f_white:grouphug

I am so sorry. My deepest sympathy. I know Homer was a very precious and loving boy...Know that he watches with love in his heart from the Bridge until you meet again. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry about your sweet Homer. May you soon be able to remember him with a smile instead of tears, until you meet again.

Love never dies.

The PGC "family" does indeed miss Homer. Give extra kisses to your other beautiful grey and keep enjoying her. It may help to ease the pain just a little.

Buddy Drive's Dad