Resizing Your Photos!

Wow, Jeff....it's a piece of cake when you know what the heck you're doing :blink::lol;) . Tanks a lot!!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyhidden

Reading this thread, wanting to download Infanview. When I CLICK it, a box shows up: While downloading infanview, it will damage computer. Does anyone believe this or shall I go ahead and download the VIEW? please PM me RSVP.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Will someone please come to my house and show me how this works??!!?? I've resized my photos on Infranview, but when I try to upload to greytalk, it still says file exceeds limit!! Now that Mypetpages is gone, I am totally in the dark with this whole photo process.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

• 2 months later...
Guest JudiK

MAC resizing tool isn't free, but it's cheap. It's called - "Picture Resizing Tool", Google or any other search engine will send you to the right location to download it. I'm still working on my signature - it's late and I have papers to grade and lectures to prepare tomorrow, so it will probably be next week before I put one together now...

FWIW, I worked in Fortune 500 PC-support for 20 years; never touched a Mac until 3 years ago. You couldn't give me a Windows laptop. OSX is UNIX and it really kicks some Win-butt. I still keep a Win Media Center PC in the den, but I live with my iBook.

Will someone please come to my house and show me how this works??!!?? I've resized my photos on Infranview, but when I try to upload to greytalk, it still says file exceeds limit!! Now that Mypetpages is gone, I am totally in the dark with this whole photo process.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

I use photbucket to link my pictures to threads. Picture It 9 is what I use at home and it lets me resize my pictures for attaching and to upload to greytalk.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

you are a supporter, use the supporter gallery, it does that stuff for you ;)

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I'd be glad to if you're in western MA. I'm in Wappingers Falls, NY, south of Poughkeepsie.

When you use Irfanview the only precaution is to not overwrite the high resolution file. The safest way is to put all the files from your camera in one directory (say BIG) and make sure that Irfanview writes the shrunken file to another directory (say SHRUNK).

Here are step by step directions for shrinking one file at a time.

Load an image into Irfanview. Select Image/Resize and note the size of the original image (maybe 1200 x 1600 pixels). Then type 400 in the width or height box which contains the larger original pixel count (1600 in this example). The number in the other box for height or width will be recomputed to be 300 in this example. Then click OK and the photo will be shrunken. Then select File/Save As (carefull, don't select Save) and change the directory to the SHRUNK directory

In the sample I just dig this to the file shrunk from 745,000 bytes to 25,400 bytes.

Now you can try to upload the shrunken file to Greytalk. If it's still too big go back to the start and shrink it to less than 400 pixels on the large dimension.

Irfanview will also do batch conversions. That is it will resize many files at one time very quickly. Here are the step by step directions.

Start Irfanview and load (File/Open) the first file. Then select FILE/BATCH CONVERSION.

A new window opens. In the upper right panel navigate to your BIG file directory and highlight all the files. Then click on the ADD button and all your filenames should appear in the left window. Then set the OUTPUT DIRECTORY to your SHRUNK directory using browse if necessary. Under WORK AS: click on BATCH CONVERSION. Under BATCH CONVERSION SETTINGS: click on USE ADVANCED OPTIONS and on SET ADVANCED OPTIONS.

A second window opens. Click on RESIZE, SET LONG SIDE TO, and type 400 in the box. Make sure pixels is checked. Then click on PRESERVE ASPECT RATIO, USE RESAMPLE FUNCTION, and DON'T ENLARGE SMALLER IMAGES. Then click OK.

The second window closes. Now click on START and watch it go! Click on Exit when it finishes.

To check your work you can select FILE/OPEN, nevigate to your SHRUNK directory, click PREVIEW ACTIVE, and move the highlight through all the file names. The preview window will show you the picture and next to it will be displayed the Width, Height, and File size.

Paul Lepkowski

PWP Bprt, MPWA

Edited by plepkowski

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

• 1 year later...
you are a supporter, use the supporter gallery, it does that stuff for you ;)

OK... I'm a supporter... and I can NEVER get this to work! It just tells me the file exceeds size limits...

I can resize them, but it would be so nice to have the "automatic" part! Please enlighten me!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

• 1 month later...
Guest FrostyBottoms

Hi Jeff - i HAVE RESIZED MY PICTURE TO 100x75 AND my signature picture keeps being removed because it is too big...I see that thingy is supposed to be less than 15k, but it isn't, how do I get the lower resolution? I tried zooming in, so as to have a lesser quality ( I don't know if that matters) Anyway, If you could tell me how to do this, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

~Jeannie

Guest greymom1997

Hi I got your message that my sig was more than the 15k.... Is this better? I resized them on photobucket... both are 6kb. If it is can I still add their names? If not I'll try something other than photobucket. This isn't my computer so I can't download the one you suggest.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/gr...llieresting.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/gr...eimpression.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just found another one that I really like

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

Works great for resizing your avatar submissions. I had been using an old Ulead program, and I like the new one I posted above better :)

Not quite as simple, but has many more options and is still easy and fast to use.

Keeping with my new expectations, the zip file is portable, no installation required :)

large.greyhound_signature.gif

• 1 year later...

Is there a way I can use photobucket to make my signature smaller? I don't mean size wise I mean under 15KB...

There is a lot you can do in photobucket to your photos, but file size is not one of them that I'm aware of.