Sequel Is Equal

Guest SequelIsEqual

Guest SequelIsEqual

I hope it's all right to post here the same message, with slight variations, that I already posted to the Gh-l. If not, please forgive me, as I'm not very savvy about Internet protocol, and I do want to tell you about our little girl.

About five years ago I posted a message to the Gh-l with the subject title "Sequel Is Equal lives up to name." Sequel, then 4, had defended herself against an off-lead male Akita who attacked her head-on as she, her brother Earl and I walked an otherwise deserted park path near our home. I thought she would be injured or killed. Instead, she reared up and with fangs flashing vanquished the brute. He cowered with his back to us as I led a trembling Earl and a snarling, high-stepping Sequel away. Many on the list sent e-mails hailing Sequel as a warrior princess. She bore the title rudely -- wanting thereafter to take on any unknown male dog, however docile, who wasn’t a Greyhound. My husband, Gary, and I trained her to "walk on" when passing another dog. When she did this without showing her true desire, she got a liver treat. The tension in her white-with-blue-fawn body belied her polite demeanor as she earned her treat.

There was another park incident. We stopped walking to allow a group of day campers to pet the "skinny dogs." When I wanted to leave, Sequel wouldn’t budge. "Sequel, come along," I said a second time. She held fast, her look saying that as long as one child remained to pet her, we weren’t going anywhere. "Oh, come on," I said and hooked a finger under her collar. She growled. I wrapped a hand around her muzzle, locked eyes with her and growled back. The children fled, no doubt to tell their counselors about the mean lady who was growling at the nice dog. Sequel maintained eye contact a full two minutes before looking away. I made her heel nearly the entire twenty minutes that remained of our walk. When almost home, I said, "Go sniff, you bad girl." Proudly, she continued to heel. That’s when I told her that to pay me back for all the aggravation she caused, she had to live to be twenty. "You owe me this and don’t forget it," I said. She smiled up at me, skipped to the end of her lead, turned, and as Earl and I knew she would, began her dance. Gary and I called it Sequel’s Ode to Joy. Always performed on lead, with eyes and mouth wide in ecstasy, she leapt, twirled, came down, leapt again and repeated in the opposite direction. She danced on grass, snow, leaf piles and asphalt. I wanted the world to witness Sequel’s dance, but she danced only for us.

She is gone, our baby, our crazed piglet. Her beautiful heart stopped beating on Wednesday, July 28, following dental surgery at the University of Minnesota. I think my last post to Greytalk was the day before. In Gary’s and my forty two years together, she is our only loved one to die suddenly and unexpectedly, our only dog who didn’t die cradled in our arms. I haven’t felt up to writing about her. But as I listened to Rory Goree mention Sequel's passing when he introduced me on "Greyhounds Make Great Pets" last Friday, I knew it was time to tell her story. To wait longer would just make it harder.

Sequel Is Equal retired herself from racing by quitting in the middle of a race. She stole treats from between Earl’s paws before he knew she was in the room. She was a cockroacher and a screamer. She had the softest fur and most demanding ways of any dog I’ve known. She convinced me that Greyhounds need six walks a day, and when I cut back after four years of this regimen, she reminded me daily of my moral failings. She had a genuine Greyhound smile that, when not making me laugh, made me weak with love. She apologized for nothing and left owing me eleven more years.

Cindy Victor with heartbroken Gary and lonely Earl.

What a beautiful and touching tribute to your beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for you loss. Godspeed sweet baby. :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Cindy, I read your posting about your beloved girl on the

GH-L, and was very moved. Am again. What a lovely, lively girl Sequel must have been, and what wonderful memories she has left you with.

My condolences to you and your family. She sounds like a very special girl.

:f_white

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Godspeed Sequel. The way you described her was a gal with much spirit...I know that her spirit will live on and on at the Bridge until you meet again. My deepest sympathy. :f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What a wonderful girl you had. My sympathies to your family :f_pink

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

You have painted such a beautiful portrait of your beautiful girl, through your written tribute to her. Many angels accompanied her on her journey to the briidge. Be at peace, little one. You have my deepest sympathy.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Guest auntiesara

I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of this special girl. She's busy stealing treats from her new friends at the Bridge while she waits to be reunited with you.

Sara

It's heartwarming to see you've found your voice again. Thank you for sharing your memories of Sequel. We're all so sorry for your loss.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.